• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

komanam / kaupeenam panchakacham brahmacharyam

Status
Not open for further replies.
is kaupeenam panchakacham same ?
If you have to ask this question, then I think, I am sorry to say, you don't deserve an answer. Go with whatever you like, Fruit of the Loom, Haynes, or with full freedom, it really doesn't matter .....

is komanam mandatory for brahmachariyam ?

Komanam is a general tieup ? or specific cloth available. I see in the forum many replies on komanam ? is kaupeenam panchakacham same ?

friend_truth18atyahoocom is my chat id. freewheeling is required.

Karthik

Dear Karthik,

I do not know much about this and when I joined Forum I used to wonder what is this Kaupeenam etc.

At times I used to think that it sounded like a shield of some nether region and my guess was almost right...it is the Indian G string.

And in 2011 my cousin and I had the "bhagyam" of seeing a priest in his Kaupeenam when my cousin accidentally open the door of one of the rooms at the back of the temple when were were looking for the bridal dressing room and Lo Behold! it was the priests room which she opened and there he stood in all glory! poor guy must have got a scare and we ran away after apologizing.

Look up this blog...write up and a pic of Kaupeenam too.

KAUPEENAM: KAUPEENAM

For your query of Pancha Kachcham..check out this link:

How to Wear a Pancha Kachcham: 14 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Last edited:
something to do with 'hanging loose' maybe!!!
K, if you are a fan of Seinfeld then you may remember the George's "shrinkage" episode. In that episode Elaine says something very profound, ""I don't know how you guys walk around with those things."

Nice Renuka great and awaiting good replies as such

Dear Renuka,

very nice reply,informative too.. no kidding, no wounding words like the others, I really like the way you replied.
Having seen your link, I understood that kaupeenam and komanam are same,it is different from panchakacham.
Would like to practice the same.
Infact brahmacharyam demands that ? I heard so, any traditional praciticing friends available, may i get a link including sandya vandanam and other practices, would love that now a days, fond of wearing komanam.

Once again thankyou for your kind informative reply.

Karthik

Dear Karthik,

I do not know much about this and when I joined Forum I used to wonder what is this Kaupeenam etc.

At times I used to think that it sounded like a shield of some nether region and my guess was almost right...it is the Indian G string.

And in 2011 my cousin and I had the "bhagyam" of seeing a priest in his Kaupeenam when my cousin accidentally open the door of one of the rooms at the back of the temple when were were looking for the bridal dressing room and Lo Behold! it was the priests room which she opened and there he stood in all glory! poor guy must have got a scare and we ran away after apologizing.

Dear Ms.Renuka,

very nice reply,informative too.. no kidding, no wounding words like the others, I really like the way you replied.
Having seen your link, I understood that kaupeenam and komanam are same,it is different from panchakacham.
Infact brahmacharyam demands that ? I heard so, any traditional praciticing friends available, may i get a link including sandya vandanam and other practices, would love that now a days, fond of wearing komanam.

Once again thankyou for your kind informative reply. Salutation missed. Sorry for the inconvenience

Karthik

may i get a link including sandya vandanam and other practices, would love that now a days, fond of wearing komanam.

Karthik

Dear Karthik,

Only saw your reply today..hence my late reply.

I would like to bring to your kind attention that I am not a Brahmin..so my knowledge in certain aspects like Sandhyavandanam and other practices would be really limited.

I can surely tell you all about the Gayatri Mantra and it meaning and it grammar etc but I would have 0% knowledge on how the Sandhyavandanam is done..same goes for other rituals/practices.

So I guess you might have to wait for someone who is knowledgeable in these aspects of prayer..I am more into reading and spiritualism.

May be you can look thru some of the threads in the Religion and Traditional section of the Forum to get a rough idea on what you are looking for.

Regards

Renuka

Dear Renuka,

1. Having seen your link, I understood that kaupeenam and komanam are same,it is different from panchakacham.

2. Would like to practice the same.

3. Infact brahmacharyam demands that ?
I heard so, any

4. traditional praciticing friends
available,

5. may i get a link including sandya vandanam and other practices, would love that now a days,

6. fond of wearing komanam.

Karthik
I thought I will not butt in here but your post made me butt in after all!

(1) is the greatest discovery after the Theory of Relativity. :clap2:

(2) wearing a trip of cloth tightly between the legs does not need practice and perseverance.

(3) Brahmacharyam demands to stay from females until marriage takes place.

(4) This may need a survey in All India level to find practicing friends.
(practicing what... brahmacharyam or the art of wearing a koupeenam???) :decision:

(5) sandhyavandanam and other practices are taught by the pundit / priest/ vaadhyaar during the upanayanam! Did you get one performed for you?
If not you can't start sandhya vandanam on your own from a link in the Internet. :nono:

(6) God be praised that youngsters are still fond of wearing something - even if it is only a koupeenam! :hail:

Dear Renuka,

Karthik

Dear Karthik,

Dear Shri Karthik,

I get an impression that you are, perhaps, not even a brahmin and are trying to gauge the knowledge of the members here about brahmacharyam, koupeenam, panchakaccham, etc., or, you have been brought up in a very non-tabra way. Whatever that be, I am trying to answer your doubts to the best of my (a 70+ tamil brahmin, male) ability and knowledge.

As you have now understood (realized), kOmaNam and koupeenam are one and the same; the former is the Tamil word used by most Tamil castes while the latter is its Sanskrit equivalent.

The sanskrit word "Brahmacharyam" has three main meanings; one, it denotes celibacy of a male, and two, it goes a step further and signifies the mindset of a person - including married persons, widowers, and may be even women of all ages and married statuses - which is fixed constantly, without wavering, in trying to know about the ultimate truth or Brahman, and lastly, the period in the life of a male between his upanayanam till he completes his study of veda/s to the satisfaction of his guru or veda teacher.

kOmaNam or koupeenam is neither mandatory nor helpful for any person - male or female - in any of the three objectives; rather, a simple kOmaNam may be the easiest thing to undress and may be engage in sexual activity like intercourse or masturbation! But, according to our ancient hindu customs and practices, a brahmachari (i.e., one who has his upanayanam ceremony done.) was required to wear only a kOmaNam till he completed his study of veda/s to the satisfaction of his guru or veda teacher, at which time a rite/ceremony called "samAvartanam" was to be performed and thereafter the fellow could wear a cloth or vEShTi. The attached image shows a Nambudiri Brahmachari (in the early 1900's) and those people could successfully follow this kOmaNam system for all their boys, teach veda by rote to each one of them and then perform samAvartanam also as envisaged by our ancient scriptures.

Panchakaccham means the hem of the veshTi made into five pleats (no more, no less - but the width of the pleat can vary) and worn in the fashion shown in the video. Again, this is / was only a social fashion and this was mandatory for a brahmin to do anything vedic, including recitation of the vedas (which includes puruShasUktam, rudram, chamakam, and so on) but, this may not be particularly helpful in preserving one's celibacy or in one's thoughts getting converged on the "ultimate Truth".

Today, we are living in times when women recite vedas even during their menstrual periods and, in some places, they even officiate as priestesses.

Hence it is for you to decide about kOmaNam, panchakaccham, etc., as also what meaning of brahmacharyam appeals to you.

Attachments

• upanicchuNNI.jpg
    upanicchuNNI.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,851

Dear Sangom sir,

Is not panchakaccham worn for the first time on the wedding day by tambram guys?

The sAsthrigaL helps the groom to dress up and gets special dakshaNai too! :D

Dear Sangom sir,

Is not panchakaccham worn for the first time on the wedding day by tambram guys?

The sAsthrigaL helps the groom to dress up and gets special dakshaNai too! :D

Smt. RR,

It is like this: for officiating as yajamAnan in any vedic yAgam, one has to be married and should take deekShA along with the wife. Also, the panchakaccham is a must for performing any of the vaideeka karmas. So, by interpolation, panchakaccham became a dress worn for the first time at marriage (a vaideeki function). Theoretically you must have read that Rishyasringa officiated in Dasaratha's putrakAmEShTi; do you think Rishyasringa would have come in single vEShti? I think it would have been either the krishnAjinam or panchakaccham.

What you say is the practice which prevailed till some years ago; today even tabra grooms wear, at the marriage, a very long Sherwani which dispenses with everything else, something like the padre's extra long coat with so many buttons!!

Dear Sir,

Nice to have you in my inbox, experience comes by experiencing, I always request your support in such cases. Started komanam first now, but slightly uncomfortable, but love that so. Do keep in touch always. thanks

Dear Sangom Sir,

I think my son is the only guy who refused to wear a long sherwani for his wedding reception

saying that he will look like a comic character with a long body and tiny visible legs! :)

It was explained by some that each 3 strands of poonal represented the futuristic vEshti, angavastram and kaippidi thuNi. When these came into use, the poonal was not discarded because the old people wore them. If that was so, pyjama/jippa or pant and shirt should serve the purpose with tie or without. But you cannot wear panchakachcham under the pant&shirt or over them. Similarly male "brief" serves the purpose of komanam, and if you want to continue the old practice of wearing a komanam too (because the great people wore in the past), you can put on the brief over komanam. Lord Shiva sported only tiger skin with or without komanam because that was only visualised in those days. But Lord Vishnu is portrayed wearing a modern dress (compared to Shiva's period) which became available later. See in the process, we forget the gods, but would like to match his fashion which again gods have been forced to sport. Thus god becomes secondary to the primary fashion! When will we graduate?

Dear Iyya sir,

You really scare me now! Guys will start discussing whether Lord Shiva / Lord Vishnu wore a 'KMN' or not!

One more thought! Luckily the three strands only represent vEshti, angu and kaipidi thuNi. If the kaipidi thuNi

was replaced by 'KMN', what would have happened! :fear:

Note: 'KMN' is the short form for kOmaNam! :)

We bump into lot of vulgar posts (according to me, of course!) if we Google search for the word 'KMN'! :yuck:

I thought I will not butt in here but your post made me butt in after all!

(1) is the greatest discovery after the Theory of Relativity. :clap2:

(2) wearing a trip of cloth tightly between the legs does not need practice and perseverance.

(3) Brahmacharyam demands to stay from females until marriage takes place.

(4) This may need a survey in All India level to find practicing friends.
(practicing what... brahmacharyam or the art of wearing a koupeenam???) :decision:

(5) sandhyavandanam and other practices are taught by the pundit / priest/ vaadhyaar during the upanayanam! Did you get one performed for you?
If not you can't start sandhya vandanam on your own from a link in the Internet. :nono:

(6) God be praised that youngsters are still fond of wearing something - even if it is only a koupeenam! :hail:

Believe it or not, this thread has brought participation of all the three active veterans of "thAi kulam" of this forum :)
Not many other threads which were long as a HanumAr vAl or as brief as a KMN can boast of such achievement :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back