Tamil Brahmins
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads

Panchakacham and madisar

The PANCHAKACHAM and MADISAR used to be the most common informal costume of brahmins during erstwhile years.

It was a resplendant scene watching men with Panchakacham on and their wives sporting Madisar walking together as couples towards the temple on the streets of Srirangam especially during festival, brahmorchavam etc times when I was a kid.

In fact I fell in love with my wife seeing her on an unusual Madisar outfit. I had seen her until then only in a chudidaar cum duppatta.

After our marriage, when we visited Srirangam, my wife and I together took a stroll on the streets, I wearing a panchakacham and my wife a madisar.

I could hear our women in the neighbourhood whispering 'En kanne pattudum pola irukku. Aathukkararai eppadi mathitta paaru'.

But where went the Panchakacham and Madisar!!!

I hardly see brahmins, let alone others, wearing panchakacham and madisar.

Many of my brahmin colleagues do not even know how to wear a panchakacham. Nor do my brahmin lady colleagues know how to wear madisar.

Are those costumes extinct?

Could we expect a revival of those beautiful costumes?
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    normally in our brahmin family ladies are working womens and they don't have that much time as well as patios. But we do wear madisar in occasions only like brahmopadesham, nombu days
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Laziness has changed all good practices followed by Brahmins. One has to get up early in the morning Take a cold water bath Wear traditional dress chant some slokas .Those are practices of yester years.Today people including girls and boys go to bed very late night,sleep up to 8 or 9 in the morning,conveniently forgo breakfast drap in churidar or pant shirts not daily washed and go out.Will any one adopt brahmin practices nowadays.
  5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ready made Madisar Dresses

Madisar Saree for Iyer & Iyengar - Video
  7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Asirvadam View Post
    T

In fact I fell in love with my wife seeing her on an unusual Madisar outfit. I had seen her until then only in a chudidaar cum duppatta.
    Madisar is worn only after marriage.

Perhaps, this is, like the anaconda version of saligrama stone, a fantastical twist in the tale inviting a joy ride of posts?
  9. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello "Asir",

This is what you said in your post:
    Brahmin girls wear madisar only after marriage. So how come you could see your girl in madisar before your marriage with her, fall in love with her and then marry her. Something is missing here.
    பாத்திரத்தை நிரப்பவே சாஸ்திரத்தைக் கேலி செய்யும் பகுத்தறிவுத் தந்தைகள் போட்டிருக்கும் திரை, பகுத்தறிவு!
  11. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaagmi View Post
    Hello "Asir",

This is what you said in your post:

Brahmin girls wear madisar only after marriage. So how come you could see your girl in madisar before your marriage with her, fall in love with her and then marry her. Something is missing here.
    May be he fell in love with her after marriage..after seeing her for the very 1st time in Madisar.
  13. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by renuka View Post
    May be he fell in love with her after marriage..after seeing her for the very 1st time in Madisar.
    Looks like anaconda logic to me :-)
  15. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A google search immediately took me to anaconda logic board game - baby gift.

Quote Originally Posted by auh View Post
    Looks like anaconda logic to me :-)
  17. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Madisar & Panchakacham creates a divine aura

But with divinity getting less & less in our lives we have fosekan these traditional dresses for modern outfits

It is being used only for functions such as Marriage, Poonool or Thithi wherein Vaadhyars insist for that

We have a family friend who wear the dress without fail for the daily pooja
  19. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast