Tamil Brahmins
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why do we keep believing in superstitions and foist it on others

Think rationally about the superstitions you believe in. Is there any real reason that the number 13 should be unlucky? Why should black cats be more unlucky than any other cat? Can finding a four-leaf clover really cause good fortune to rain down upon your head? If a rabbit's foot were really lucky, wouldn't the original owner (that is, the rabbit) still own it?

Consider which superstitions cause regular inconvenience to you. Are you constantly staring at the ground to avoid stepping on cracks to the point of bumping into people on the street? Do you take winding detours in order to avoid crossing the path of a black cat? The superstitions which cause trouble for you on a regular basis are the ones you should focus on first.

Find ways to prove to yourself that these superstitions have no basis in reality. Leave your rabbit's foot at home and see how your day goes. Go ahead and step on a few cracks. Pass on by the clover patch. Incorporate the number 13 into your day (spend 13 dollars at the store, send 13 emails to your friends.

When making decisions rely on common sense and a sound pattern of reasoning as opposed to weird feelings and supposed supernatural signs.

Realize that you have the power to make your own luck. While you can't control all the circumstances in your life, you can control how you react to them and what you do about it.

Not all superstitions are harmful. It's perfectly all right to wish upon a few stars or have a "lucky" shirt as long as you don't take it all too seriously.

While walking under ladders isn't usually bad luck, you might end up with paint dripped on your head, or worse, a tool. Obey signs around outdoor work for practical safety reasons. If a hard hat zone is declared, a hard hat is needed from experience of dropping items!

How to Stop Being Superstitious: 5 Steps - wikiHow
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not attempting to justify superstitions but some of them may have had some valid reasoning behind it. Like my mother telling me to not cut my nails during dusk/night/twilight. Or sweep the floor at nights (you're shooing away Mahalakshmi or something). I'm just wondering if all those days ago, there was no electricity and lights and so one might accidentally hurt oneself cutting fingernails in the dark or sweep away important stuff etc.
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by amala View Post
    I'm not attempting to justify superstitions but some of them may have had some valid reasoning behind it. Like my mother telling me to not cut my nails during dusk/night/twilight. Or sweep the floor at nights (you're shooing away Mahalakshmi or something). I'm just wondering if all those days ago, there was no electricity and lights and so one might accidentally hurt oneself cutting fingernails in the dark or sweep away important stuff etc.
    Those are not superstitions, those are precautions, Just like not walking under a ladder. Those are valid points, but a drama was added by concocting a story. If a simple explanation is given, then people might ignore it.
  5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dear Prasad Sir,

It is not said, 'Do not walk under the ladder if someone is standing on it!'. If a ladder lies idle, then too people

fear to go under it. Is it not a superstition?

P.S: If I have an early morning appointment (usually to attend a wedding) and if I was busy on the previous day,

I cut my nails at night wearing my reading glasses in a well lit room!
  7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I really do not believe in any so called superstitions..some of it might actually cause inconvenience to another person.

Before I started my own practice I used to work for another doctor who was extremely superstitious...if pay day were to fall on a Friday he would never pay me and the nurses on that day but only pay us the following day.

He said that Mahalakshmi will leave if he gives money on a Friday!

Some of the nursing staff used to feel bad that they had to wait for one more day if pay day fell on a Friday.

In fact one of the nurses actually borrowed money from me cos of this delay in pay as she needed to buy milk for her child since her husband too was not earning much.

So tell me how will Mahalakshmi stay if we deny a person her pay on time when there is a child at home that needs milk?

I feel if anyone has a problem making payments on Friday they should at least give it one day earlier instead of one day later.
    Last edited by renuka; 14-06-2013 at 07:09 AM.
  9. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation

Dear Renu,

I had a different experience! Once I gave the 'pongal saree' (used occasionally) and tips to my helper maid and
    you know what she asked me? 'akkA! sevvAik kizhamai idhai thareengaLE! neenga nallA irukka vENdAmA?'
  11. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Raji Ram View Post

Dear Renu,

I had a different experience! Once I gave the 'pongal saree' (used occasionally) and tips to my helper maid and
    you know what she asked me? 'akkA! sevvAik kizhamai idhai thareengaLE! neenga nallA irukka vENdAmA?'
    Dear RR ji,

The lady is a well wisher.

I will tell you my experience...I give my staff money on their due pay day.

Long back I had an Indian staff and once I gave her her pay on the 1st of January and she said "Today is the 1st day of the year and you are letting money go out of hand"

I told her "Thanks for your good thoughts so do you wish to take your pay today or tomorrow?"

Then she said "Doc only give me my pay today and give the other staffs pay tomorrow so at least you have some Lakhsmi staying with you for the rest of the year"

I started laughing and told her that I will pay everyone on the same day itself.
    Last edited by renuka; 14-06-2013 at 08:16 AM.
  13. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by renuka View Post
    ... The lady is a well wisher.......
    I know Renu! Even if I don't believe in some days to avoid giving payment or gifts, other believers scare me like this!
  15. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Raji Ram View Post
    I know Renu! Even if I don't believe in some days to avoid giving payment or gifts, other believers scare me like this!
    Dear RR ji ,

No need to be scared cos you are giving the gift to the right person who even though is not well to do in the material scale yet she wishes the best for others..so giving such a person a gift on any day of the week is a blessing for anyone.
  17. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Superstition: An irrational belief arising from ignorance or fear

This is the dictionary meaning. If the the negative and unjustified epithets are remove, only 'belief' remains.

If both A and B have the same belief or 'no belief', there is no conflict in their interaction.

If A and B have different beliefs, then they have to resolve when a conflict occurs. I don't start a journey during rahu kalam, and I have not faced difficulty in convincing others while planning a trip. Even when doing puja in workplace, for launching a new product or commissioning a new service, the people concerned directly (the workers, staff etc.), raise issues of good days (no ashtami, navmi) or time, which is accepted by the seniors. Such beliefs are held by all, not by brahmins alone.

Everybody has inherited these traditions from their families, communities; it is better to accept them or resolve in an acceptable way instead of deriding it or making fun or declaring the man as an idiot. If the maid does not want the gift or wages on ashtami or say at night or for some other 'belief', her belief must be respected.

Individuals may discard or acquire new beliefs as they progress in life; what one calls as superstition is sacred faith for another. He is the best judge to decide.
  19. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast