• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tamil Brahmin and Telugu Brahmin Marriage - Same Gotra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

This is my post in this pardon my ignorance. I'm from Gurukkal Community (Tamil Brahmins) and i like a girl who belongs to mulakanadu (telugu brahmin) . My gotra is AANGIRASA BHARGASPATHIYA BHARADWAJA.

I know she is bharadwaja not sure of full details. Im worried this become issue in our marriage. I'm sure this topic would have discussed to detail.

My story is unique. Please help me with your suggestions and comments.

Kapyaangirasa's 3 rishis are Aangirasa, amahaayya and ourutchaya whereas Bhaaradhwaja's 3 rishis are Aangirasa, bharhaspathya and Bharadhwaja. If 2 rishis are common in both the gotras the alliance should be avoided according to some old school of thoughts. You have not said whether the girl likes you though it is immaterial to us. Go through various posts in this forum taking a couple of hours, and considering the present day scenario, you will take no time to plunge into the world.

If you and girl are committed to this union, then nothing can stop it.
If either of you wants to make excuses nothing we say is going to bridge it. Who is opposing and why? If you are going to give in for objection from others, you do not deserve this marriage. Marriage life is not for cowards, you will face very many challenges in life. This is a good time for you to make up your mind.

If you do decide to get married, congratulations.

These days very difficult to get a bride that too for a Gurukal profession Boy.
Girls do not like to marry boys belonging to such profession, and even high earning software professionals find it hard to get a suitable Bride, now you are lucky that the Girl also likes you, please do not wait further .

Both Iyyarooraan Sir and Prasadji have given you the correct advice; please go ahead and get married!

Advance Congratulations .

Aiya,

Kanchi Mahaperiyava once said NO need for horoscopes if there is 'mana porutham'. Go ahead and blessings from ALL of us.

AUM Chivaya Namah

Vish Iyer MS FRCS

These days very difficult to get a bride that too for a Gurukal profession Boy.
Girls do not like to marry boys belonging to such profession, and even high earning software professionals find it hard to get a suitable Bride, now you are lucky that the Girl also likes you, please do not wait further .

Both Iyyarooraan Sir and Prasadji have given you the correct advice; please go ahead and get married!

Advance Congratulations .

I was posting in a hurry. I'm working as software professional in usa for now. We are in love for last two years. Their parents went to sringeri achariyar and they said okay for love marriage but no for same gotra. I couldn't understand the first post. She s also bharadwaja other two rishis should be same right ?

Hi all, My father still performing pooja But, im working as software professional in USA. We are in love for last two years and her parents to sringeri achariyar to ask about giving the girl to tamil gurukkal family. He said ok but said no to same gotharam.

thats were we stuck now. Is the option of changing gotharam work for boys as well. If it is im okay to change mine and i can convince my parents. they already started looking for details to support me.

Dear Rajesh,

If you were worried about tradition, you should have the girl's gothram before loving her! After loving for

two years, you can't quit her saying that both your gothrams are same! Make sure that you are NOT the

descendants of the same great-grandfather. If NOT, proceed with your wedding. Best of luck! :)

P.S: It may be difficult to find the earlier generations. It is supposed to be no connections in 7 generations! :D

.......... thats were we stuck now. Is the option of changing gotharam work for boys as well. If it is im okay to change mine and i can convince my parents. they already started looking for details to support me.
WOW! This is real gender equality!!

Usually girls change the gothram by getting adopted by maternal uncle! You may also do it! :thumb:

But after your wedding you will no more be a 'Bharadwaja' boy!

Hi all, My father still performing pooja But, im working as software professional in USA. We are in love for last two years and her parents to sringeri achariyar to ask about giving the girl to tamil gurukkal family. He said ok but said no to same gotharam.

thats were we stuck now. Is the option of changing gotharam work for boys as well. If it is im okay to change mine and i can convince my parents. they already started looking for details to support me.

Rajeshji,
You failed to answer my post.
Do you really know the meaning of word "LOVE"? What do you mean by loving for 2 years? You a TB from Kurukal family and all that. Explain your personal detail for us to advice you. If the objections are strong, you mean to tell us that you will not marry this girl? What happens to girl's future?
I think people in this site should consider all aspects of both boy, and girl before giving advice.

Why dont you ask the sringeri acharya itself whether sagotram can be evaded if the girl/boy is adopted? In this way, you could "officially" cleanse your/your parents' doubts that may have cropped because of this "technical snag".

But then again, I find it sort of lackadaisical that this is an issue after you have loved...

Rajeshji,
You failed to answer my post.
Do you really know the meaning of word "LOVE"? What do you mean by loving for 2 years? You a TB from Kurukal family and all that. Explain your personal detail for us to advice you. If the objections are strong, you mean to tell us that you will not marry this girl? What happens to girl's future?
I think people in this site should consider all aspects of both boy, and girl before giving advice.

PrasadJi.. I meant we are in relationship for last two years. Whatever be the strong objection i'm going to get married to her. I'm looking for best way to convince her parents. We both work in software industry. She is three years younger to me.

We decided to wait and convince her parents. So objection is from her parents. reason being simple old school thought of same gotra should not get married.

I was posting in a hurry. I'm working as software professional in usa for now. We are in love for last two years. Their parents went to sringeri achariyar and they said okay for love marriage but no for same gotra. I couldn't understand the first post. She s also bharadwaja other two rishis should be same right ?

Dear MR.Rajesh,

What Shri.Ayyaarooran said is, if 2 out of the 3 rishis of Bharadwaja's (Aangirasa, bharhaspathya and Bharadhwaja) matches between that of yours and the girl's, than saga-gotra marriage to be avoided.

When you do "Abhivadhiye", the mention of 3 rishis of Bhardwaja would appear. For example, my "abhivadhiye" would be like this -

"Abhivadhiye Aangirasa, bharhaspathya, Bharadhwaja TriyaRishiye parvavanvidhaha Bharadhwaja Gothraha Apasthamba Suthraha Yajurshaha Adhyayi Shri Krishnan sarmaNamah aham asmibho"

Check what 3 names of the rishis appears in your "abhivadhiye" and in that of the girl's family. If out of 3 rishis, 2 rishi names in yours and in that of the girl's family "abhivadhiye" matches, than saga-gotra marriage to be avoided.

There is a big hue and cry for same gotra marriage among Brahmins.

Recently a girl's parents hanged themselves back finally after knowing that we too belong to Bharadwaja Gothram, while looking alliance for my elder brother.

The girl is 34 years, +2 qualified and working just to earn some money. Her father is a Cook, working for some caterer and have total 3 daughters. This girl is the youngest to be married off, at last.

We offered to conduct marriage at our cost and nothing was expected. We have everything and nothing expected from the girl, to be used.

But, due this Same Gotram issue, her parents have dropped the alliance with pains in their heart.

My mother tried to convince them to be at ease and go for some formality sake ritual of kanyadhanam by some one in their relative circle with different gothram.

Unfortunately, they could not make up their mind and have withdrawn themselves.

What I am coming to say is, though you and your beloved are determined to marry, having mutual love towards each other, with whole hearted acceptance by the parents, this saga-gotram marriage would be jolting up the parents, mostly.

If you both want to marry with each other with no complaints & disappointments of parents, the only way is to convince them and make them agree whole heartedly. It will be a tough task BUT you got to do it in some way or other, IF you need the girl you love, for your life.

I am a Telugu Brahmin and can tell you that most of the Telugu Brahmin girls are good. So, you must be lucky to find one. Go ahead with your marriage. Congratulations!

Hi All,

This is my post in this pardon my ignorance. I'm from Gurukkal Community (Tamil Brahmins) and i like a girl who belongs to mulakanadu (telugu brahmin) . My gotra is AANGIRASA BHARGASPATHIYABHARADWAJA.

I know she is bharadwaja not sure of full details. Im worried this become issue in our marriage. I'm sure this topic would have discussed to detail.

My story is unique. Please help me with your suggestions and comments.

Dear Shri Rajesh,

You are, I am sorry to say, not even sure of what is your gotra : the words you have given, viz., AANGIRASA BARHASPATHYA - BHARADWAJA, form what is known as "pravara" - i.e., the names of a few people (usually of rishis) who are the specially famous people (pra +vara, in sanskrit) who were born in that lineage.

Now, this AANGIRASA-BARHASPATHYA-BHARADWAJA, comes in the abhivadaye for "garga gotra" people also. So, you see these 3 names do not signify anything more than the word "pravara" signifies and there is no clear evidence to assume that you come under the paternal genetic lineage of these three rishis.

The same will apply to your girl also, even if she is bharadwaja. For example, we have AANGIRASA- BARHASPATHYA-BHARADWAJA-SOUNGA-SAISIRA &

AANGIRASA- BARHASPATHYA-BHARADWAJA-MAANTRAVARA-AATMABHUVA for the same BHAARADWAAJA gotram. The changes happen due to the sutra followed.

In today's conditions, it will be foolish to renege on a promise to marry a girl merely based on a few sanskrit words which, in any case do not make any sense to us genetically, nor are we following those brahminic life styles when sagotra marriage was prohibited. The acharyas of Mutts will not say anything contrary to what is written in the old palm leaf manuscripts in their archives. That need not surprise us.

As an old tabra, my sincere advice (not even suggestion) to you, is go ahead and marry. In case you want, you may do blood compatibility or even gene study to know whether there is any indication of defective offsprings being possible. Even if it is, I will say that you should go ahead with the marriage and if need be adopt a child in future.

Believe in the best and go ahead with the marriage.

Last edited:
Dear MR.Rajesh,

When you do "Abhivadhiye", the mention of 3 rishis of Bhardwaja would appear. For example, my "abhivadhiye" would be like this -

"Abhivadhiye Aangirasa, bharhaspathya, Bharadhwaja TriyaRishiye parvavanvidhaha Bharadhwaja Gothraha Apasthamba Suthraha Yajurshaha Adhyayi Shri Krishnan sarmaNamah aham asmibho"

As far as I know the terminology is abhivaadaye(अभिवादये ).

I guess it must be a spelling error here..but it is better you correct the spelling cos Non Brahmin readers not familiar with Sanskrit might get the wrong spelling in their mind.

Last edited:
As far as I know the terminology is abhivaadaye(अभिवादये ).........
Dear Renu,

The periappaa of a kid was bragging about how he is regular in doing nithya karmAs assigned for brahmins, :blah:

during that kid's upanayanam ceremony. The sAsthrigaL had to leave on another urgent mission and hence told this

periappaa to teach 'abhivaadhaye' and 'sandhyA vandhanam' to that kid. That periappaa escaped from the scene

saying that he too got to go on some urgent work!! :bolt:

I am a Telugu Brahmin and can tell you that most of the Telugu Brahmin girls are good. So, you must be lucky to find one. Go ahead with your marriage. Congratulations!
hi hari sir,

i agreed with u....i loved a telugu gal for ten years...we both planned to marry too....but we never got parents permission....

so no choice for her....they want ONLY telugu boy...im same like rajesh....im ABHIVADAYE ...AANGIRASA ...BAARHASAPTYA....

BHARADWAJA.... THRAYA...RISHEYA ...PRAVARANITHA...BHARWADWAJA GOTHRA... GRAAHYANA SUTRAHA..SAAMA SAAKHA ADHYAYEE

,,,,, AHAM ASMI BHOOHU....here in my home...they say... NAANGA VADAMA AAKUM......NO TELUGU....in my case problem

is between VADAMA WITH VELANATIVAADU......

Last edited:
True. There are more telugu, malayalam, kannada lady actors in gollywood; tamil ladies have little chance even to compete.

That was an awesome certificate :) Would like to know your opinion about Kannada Brahmin girls as well :D

One question to others viewing this thread. There have been plenty of consanguineous marriages within Tamils and Telugus (marrying cousins, uncles etc.) So why the angst about sagotra marriages? Why is being the descendant of a 4000 year old rishi important while being descended from the same grandparent is not important?

Mr. TBS, is this the secret behind your Telugu knowledge?

hi hari sir,

i agreed with u....i loved a telugu gal for ten years...we both planned to marry too....but we never got parents permission....

so no choice for her....they want ONLY telugu boy...im same like rajesh....im ABHIVADAYE ...AANGIRASA ...BAARHASAPTYA....

BHARADWAJA.... THRAYA...RISHEYA ...PRAVARANITHA...BHARWADWAJA GOTHRA... GRAAHYANA SUTRAHA..SAAMA SAAKHA ADHYAYEE

,,,,, AHAM ASMI BHOOHU....here in my home...they say... NAANGA VADAMA AAKUM......NO TELUGU....in my case problem

is between VADAMA WITH VELANATIVAADU......

Mr. TBS, is this the secret behind your Telugu knowledge?
Dear Biswa Sir,

You got it only now?? We all know long long back. Only problem with TBS Sir is that at times

he forgets Sanskrit words and thinks that ONLY unmarried woman are SowbhAgyavathis!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back