• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Dosha in Horoscope Meaning, significance and implications- Query

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a doubt. What is dosha in someone's horoscope. (related to matrimony). Suppose a boy's horoscope has two doshas, is the girl also supposed to have same number of doshas or less? I mean if the boy has 2 doshas and the girl has only 1 dosha, is an alliance recommended?

On a related note, do shuddha jadakams have doshas?

What does dosha mean? What is the significance? Does it affect the person's character, luck etc if the person is not married? Or are doshas to be considered only for marriage purposes?

Warm Regards

There are a number of such aspects in a horoscope. When matching is done for boy and girl, wholesome study is made including do shams. So, it is really the study of well experienced astrologers , not on theory alone, that would analyse all good and bad pecks and com to a decision , which can be taken as correct.
Rishikesan

ஆண் ஜாதகத்தில் 2 தோஷம் என்றால் பெண் ஜாதகத்தில் 1.5 தோஷம் இருக்கலாம். இத்ற்கு அதிகமாகவோ குறைவாகவோ இருக்ககூடாது.

லக்கினம், 2,7,8,12 வீடுக்களில் பாப கிரகங்கள் ( சூரியன், செவ்வாய், சனி,இராகு) ஆண், பெண் இரு ஜாதகத்திலும் பாப ரகிஹங்கள் இருக்குமானால் ( ஒன்றோ அதற்கு மேலோ) மண வாழ்வில் தோஷம் விளைவிக்கும். இது லக்னதிலிருந்தும், ச்ந்திர ராசி யிலுருந்தும் சுக்கிர ராசியிலிருந்தும் பார்க்கபட வேண்டும்.

இரண்டாம் வீட்டில் தோஷம் சமமாகாவிட்டால் மண வாழ்வில் சுகமிருக்காது.சொத்துக்கள் நிலைத்திராது.கணவன் மனைவி சுக ஜீவனம் நடத்த முடியாது.லக்கின தோஷம் இருவருக்கும் சமமாகாவிட்டால் இருவரது மனொ நிலை, உடல் நிலை கடுமையாக பாதிக்க படும்
7ம்வீடு தோஷம் சமமாகாவிட்டால் தாம்பத்ய உறவு த்ருப்தி அளிக்காது.8ம் இடம் தோஷம் சமமாகாவிட்டால் அகால மரணமுண்டாகும்
12ம் இடம் தோஷம் சமமாகாவிட்டால் கஷ்டம், நஷ்டம், ஏக்கம், விரக்தி, இஷ்ட பூர்த்தி இன்மை சயன சுக குறைவு ஏற்படும்.
பி.எஸ். அய்யரின் விவாஹ விஞ்ஞானம் புத்தகத்தில் விவரம் உள்ளது. திருமண பொருத்ததிற்கு இது மிக முக்யமானது.

Hi,

I have a doubt. What is dosha in someone's horoscope. (related to matrimony). Suppose a boy's horoscope has two doshas, is the girl also supposed to have same number of doshas or less? I mean if the boy has 2 doshas and the girl has only 1 dosha, is an alliance recommended?

On a related note, do shuddha jadakams have doshas?

What does dosha mean? What is the significance? Does it affect the person's character, luck etc if the person is not married? Or are doshas to be considered only for marriage purposes?

Warm Regards

The concept of dosha related to matrimony was most important for brahmins mainly because, a widow was disfigured and treated as a virtual outcaste not eligible for a decent life. So, people were too keen to ensure that their daughters did not become widows.

Towards this end, all points in a girl's horoscope which were potential threats to her living as a "sumangali" were called "doshams" or "pApams". As is the case with most branches of knowledge indigenous to India, the methods for ascertaining the doshams and matching a suitable male's horoscope became very many and the axioms also vary widely. The numerical grading of doshams is more dangerous because the astrologers tend to become highly mechanical in this method. I will not endorse this method.

(Since divorce, remarriage, widow remarriage, etc., have now become accepted practice, I think this dosham concept need not now be given much importance, as we used to in the past.)

Kuja dosham or Chevvai dosham is considered very bad in the south but it was not so in the North till some 100 years ago; kuja or mangal was not seen as such an evil-doer in those parts.

In a nut shell, planets foreboding harm to the husband in the girl's horoscope should be matched - item by item - by equally strong dosham to the wife, in the boy's horoscope.

For example, if the girl is born in Vrischika lagna and has mercury in the seventh house (without any ameliorating factors like Shubha drishti, etc.,) it is a very powerful indication of widowhood; so the boy's horoscope should show very long life and also dosha to wife.

Similarly, a boy with Mesha lagna and venus in the second or seventh house will not have a long life. In such cases it should be ensured that the girl's horoscope has very long married life indicated strongly.

It is a very vast subject and cannot be mastered unless one goes through at least a thousand pairs of horoscopes and studies very keenly.

Last edited:
Hey sangom,

Good explanation. Not interested in going into the details. Just wanted to know the significance and basis. Thanks for your well conveyed answer.

Best Wishes.

P.S. I have posted a profile in the Brides Wanted section under Matrimonial forum. Please have a look and pass it around.

The concept of dosha related to matrimony was most important for brahmins mainly because, a widow was disfigured and treated as a virtual outcaste not eligible for a decent life. So, people were too keen to ensure that their daughters did not become widows.

Towards this end, all points in a girl's horoscope which were potential threats to her living as a "sumangali" were called "doshams" or "pApams". As is the case with most branches of knowledge indigenous to India, the methods for ascertaining the doshams and matching a suitable male's horoscope became very many and the axioms also vary widely. The numerical grading of doshams is more dangerous because the astrologers tend to become highly mechanical in this method. I will not endorse this method.

(Since divorce, remarriage, widow remarriage, etc., have now become accepted practice, I think this dosham concept need not now be given much importance, as we used to in the past.)

Kuja dosham or Chevvai dosham is considered very bad in the south but it was not so in the North till some 100 years ago; kuja or mangal was not seen as such an evil-doer in those parts.

In a nut shell, planets foreboding harm to the husband in the girl's horoscope should be matched - item by item - by equally strong dosham to the wife, in the boy's horoscope.

For example, if the girl is born in Vrischika lagna and has mercury in the seventh house (without any ameliorating factors like Shubha drishti, etc.,) it is a very powerful indication of widowhood; so the boy's horoscope should show very long life and also dosha to wife.

Similarly, a boy with Mesha lagna and venus in the second or seventh house will not have a long life. In such cases it should be ensured that the girl's horoscope has very long married life indicated strongly.

It is a very vast subject and cannot be mastered unless one goes through at least a thousand pairs of horoscopes and studies very keenly.

sir, I agree that this is a vast and complicated subject. There are different versions by the Rishis, who are experts. Normally, we look at the placement of Venus, Raghu and Ketu and Saturn , the lord of the 7th house for men and the lords of the 7th and 8th houses in the cases of girls. In general malefic planets should not occupy the 2nd, 4th, 7th and 8th houses. Krishnamurthi Paddhathi stresses the importance of constellations ( nakshathram) in which the lord of the 7th/8th houses and venus are placed. Both the horoscopes of the boy and the girl must be examined in depth for this purpose. As Renuka said, suddha jathakam does not contain any doshas. But, the hard fact , of course difficult to digest, is that we miss something somewhere and the results are contrary to our predictions and in such cases the astrologers say that fate has clouded their judgement !

Shmt. Raji Ram,

I am also shocked. LOL!!

This is the outcome of Globalized "Present Generation". May be in another couple of years, teenagers in India would call elders by their Name only, during their face-to-face interactions.

:ranger: . . . :faint2:

This is the outcome of Globalized "Present Generation". May be in another couple of years, teenagers in India would call elders by their Name only, during their face-to-face interactions.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

ravi,

i dont think this has anything to do with 'Globalized "Present Generation"'.

this is just bad manners. someone has forgot to show einstein here how to address folks. chances are he is in india, as it is only in india, i have found some blatant disrespect. that has been my experience.

as a rule, you will never see this in canada. i would also like to add usa and uk to the list.

Hey sangom,

Good explanation. Not interested in going into the details. Just wanted to know the significance and basis. Thanks for your well conveyed answer.

Best Wishes.

P.S. I have posted a profile in the Brides Wanted section under Matrimonial forum. Please have a look and pass it around.

:ranger: . . . :faint2:

Shmt. Raji Ram,

I am also shocked. LOL!!

This is the outcome of Globalized "Present Generation". May be in another couple of years, teenagers in India would call elders by their Name only, during their face-to-face interactions.

This is the outcome of Globalized "Present Generation". May be in another couple of years, teenagers in India would call elders by their Name only, during their face-to-face interactions.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

ravi,

this is just bad manners. someone has forgot to show einstein here how to address folks. chances are he is in india, as it is only in india, i have found some blatant disrespect. that has been my experience.

as a rule, you will never see this in canada. i would also like to add usa and uk to the list.

i would attribute einstein here more to ignorance, than any wilful disrespect. again, i wish to emphasize, it is disrespect to a fellow human. let us discount sangom's age. respect should be shown to everyone irrespective of age or gender. i think.

ravi,

i would attribute einstein here more to ignorance, than any wilful disrespect. again, i wish to emphasize, it is disrespect to a fellow human. let us discount sangom's age. respect should be shown to everyone irrespective of age or gender. i think.

Shri Kunjuppu,

I do understand that its a matter of ignorance and not willful disrespect. Why should one willfully disrespect some one without any reason?

The most funny and strange thing is, some people worry about possible "Dosha" in their horoscope and not in their own personality.

:pound:

Hi All,

This is tweety. I have a doubt about Kalatra dosha. Can anyone tell me if it is so risky that her husband can get effected? I'm born in Andhra Pradesh in Visakhapatnam on 25th August,1990 at 10.15 AM. Please tell me the possible doshas in my horoscope....

Thanks...

.....this is just bad manners. someone has forgot to show einstein here how to address folks. chances are he is in india, as it is only in india, i have found some blatant disrespect. that has been my experience.

Well, perhaps it is so in Canada and UK, but in the US things are very casual, from janitor to the Dean, from a young GA or Assistant Professor to Professor Emeritus, especially in a casual setting. On the other hand, I think being respectful to age is quite an Indian thing, particularly for Tamils -- Chennai probably excepted.

BTW, all this talk of dhosa is making me hungry!!! Here is a dhosa making machine that can make more than 6 dhosa per minute, these are just mavu dhosa, not sevva dhosa ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5UoP1j0UOk

Cheers!

Dear Sri N.R. Ranganathan Ji, Sir,
Nice to see you here! How have you bjeen? Trust all is fine.
Namaskarams,
KRS
sir, I agree that this is a vast and complicated subject. There are different versions by the Rishis, who are experts. Normally, we look at the placement of Venus, Raghu and Ketu and Saturn , the lord of the 7th house for men and the lords of the 7th and 8th houses in the cases of girls. In general malefic planets should not occupy the 2nd, 4th, 7th and 8th houses. Krishnamurthi Paddhathi stresses the importance of constellations ( nakshathram) in which the lord of the 7th/8th houses and venus are placed. Both the horoscopes of the boy and the girl must be examined in depth for this purpose. As Renuka said, suddha jathakam does not contain any doshas. But, the hard fact , of course difficult to digest, is that we miss something somewhere and the results are contrary to our predictions and in such cases the astrologers say that fate has clouded their judgement !

I honestly don't find anything wrong in how einstein addressed SangomJi, given that perhaps he thinks SangomJi is a "eng man" :) and not aware of his augustness and seniority in the forum.

But some use derogatory words for Shankaracharya and Shankara mutt, and tambrams in general, but that is freedom of opinion.

Shri Kunjuppu,

I do understand that its a matter of ignorance and not willful disrespect. Why should one willfully disrespect some one without any reason?

I honestly don't find anything wrong in how einstein addressed SangomJi, given that perhaps he thinks SangomJi is a "eng man" :) and not aware of his augustness and seniority in the forum.
Though I know that you are 'eng', I can never address you as 'Hey Amala'!!

'Hi' is much better any day! :)

One of my friends speaks Tamish!

She says 'shAppAdu', 'rasham shAm (chAdham)', 'mOrun shAm', 'dhOshai', 'sheekiram vA' and so on, which makes me :lol: !

One should have the caliber to guess the age and augustness of a poster by reading his/her post. If one does not have that capability and is not sure who the poster is, one should address that poster with Respect Only.

In that, if a person ends up respecting a much younger poster, the person not gonna lose anything.

One should have the caliber to guess the age and augustness of a poster by reading his/her post. If one does not have that capability and is not sure who the poster is, one should address that poster with Respect Only.

In that, if a person ends up respecting a much younger poster, the person not gonna lose anything.

When I first decrypted the moniker as "einstein's tutor", then itself I could form some impressions about the personality behind it!;). So, I am not surprised by the way he addressed me. BTW, Ravi, have you read some of his other OPs which give the impression that the daughter of this einstein's tutor will give einstein "a run for his theory/money"? Who knows - that person may have a moniker like "einsteinsyama"!!

Dear Sri KRS ji, Thank you sir. I was busy with my Ashram and editing the journal. I do feel happy to see your post. Thanks and Regards sir,

Last edited:

dear amala,

personally, i think, 'hey' is something that we need to avoid, even among friends. 'hi' is umpteen times better.

again i wish to reiterate, respect is something bestowed irrespective of the age of the person. it is good manner. in the toronto tamil radio stations, even children are address as 'neengal' by the radio jockeys. it is very pleasant to hear that.

in english, the default today, is the respectful 'you'. the word 'thou' is not even in parlance any more. if you dont mind.

dear amala,

personally, i think, 'hey' is something that we need to avoid, even among friends. 'hi' is umpteen times better.

again i wish to reiterate, respect is something bestowed irrespective of the age of the person. it is good manner. in the toronto tamil radio stations, even children are address as 'neengal' by the radio jockeys. it is very pleasant to hear that.

in english, the default today, is the respectful 'you'. the word 'thou' is not even in parlance any more. if you dont mind.

In North India particularly in UP and northern Bihar, even children are addressed respectfully. It is pleasant to hear it.
In Marathi language you miss that notion of respect. In the Tamil I speak we are generally very respectful (I was told it is Brahmin Tamil), I am not used to hearing Anda, andi, poda, podi etc. even in intimate circle.

But respect for age or position in life is very much Indian Culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back