• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

About Thila Homam and Pitru Homam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have questions to ask about Thila and Pitru Homam

1. If I have Pitru Dosham must I perform Thila and Pitru Homam or anyone will do ?

2. Which one is more important if Pitru Dosham is severe?

3. In my case my parents have 3 daughters . In this case being the eldest one can I perform the above mentioned homam ? I cannot ask anyone else to do.

4. Can I do in Gaya ? or must I do it in Rameswaram.

5. Can I perform this homam in the name of all the souls like relatives,friends etc or do I only have the right to perform for my ancestors only?

6. Is there any Priest who is well versed you can suggest in Rameswaram or any other temples where I can perform this homam ? Since I am going there alone I need the help of any person to do full booking and arrange for the homam.

7. To do these homam, what are the rules and regulations I should follow.

I thank you in advance and kindly give me full details with valuable informations

Last edited:
Dear Spaceshuttle_1969

Generally Thila Homam is done in Tadaaga Dherram / Nadi Dheeram / Samudra Dheeram.
[ banks of the lake / river / seashore ]

It can be done in Gaya or Rameshwaram.

You can contact Shekar Shastri 93354 74312 - for Kashi / Gaya

And for Rameshwaram Sethurama Iyer: 9443013663.

At Gaya, one perform oblations for non relatives, pet dogs, cows and even for
jeeva jantus that one might caused the death of unknowingly.

At Gaya, ladies can do Pinda Pradhanam - whether single / married.

I am presently in Allahabad, and will be going to Benares shortly and meeting up with
Shekar Shastri - it is one hell of a crowd there too, and will be this way until
Maha Shiva Ratri on 10/03/2013.

It will be better to wait until the second week of March 2013, when the crowds will
taper down. In the meantime, if you give me your cell umber and name [ by private mail
if you wish ], I could give Shekar Shastri a pre-alert.

Thila Homam is also done at Sangameshwarar - Erode District - but I seem to have
misplaced the Vadhyar's contact number.

Should you require any assistance, I shall be only too glad to help. You can contact me
on the TB Forum / PM on the Forum / my cell # 99414 72522.

Guruvethunai

Yay Yem

Last edited:
Please give me your e-mail ID so that I can send you the details. Is it advisable to go to Gaya during Mahalaya Amavasai ie during the Shrada period from September 2013 to October 2013?

Dear Spaceshuttle

My email id: [email protected]

Sept/Oct should be ok - except that mid and late October onwards the whether starts becoming chill.
So, Mahalaya Amavasya 2013, on 4th October should be ok, climate-wise - but there could be crowds.

Generally, the itinerary is Allahabad > Kasi > Gaya and then Rameshwaram. The theertham collected at
the Triveni Sangamam [ Allahabad ] is to be given for Abhishekam in Rameshwaram. Only then is the
Yatrai said to be complete - but it all about what suits you, your budget, your time availability etc.

As far as I know, Shrardham at Gaya on Mahalya Amavasya, is about the ultimate in Pitru Shanti.

I hope, I have been of some help.

Guruvethunai
Yay Yem

Hi spaceshuttle,

That is a nice name u have selected. It does not reveal whether you are a saivite or a vaishnavite. If you are a vaishnavite you will have to perform the thila homam or pithru homam or both at the place called Thiruppullani better known as sethukkarai. You have to get down at Ramanathapuram Railway station and take an auto to reach Thiruppullani. There are purohits attached to the Ahobhila Matom as well Srimad andavan Asramam who will be of assistance. The homam is performed on the seashore and you will have to take bath in the sea. There is no need to make prior arrangements. If you reach there on a evening there are good quality accommodation in these matoms (AC Rooms, Satvic food etc) for a fixed rent(no fleecing). The next morning the purohit will be of help to you and you can return that evening itself.

I am writing this so that it will be of help to those who are not saivites and are wondering what to do for thilahomam/pitruhomam.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Coming to the very first question in the OP, viz., are there two different homas called Thila Homam and Pitru Homam, I have not heard of Pitru Homam so far. Thila Homam is considered to be the last brahmaastra in the hands of the vaideekan to propitiate the unsatisfied/uncared for pitrus, who, like any unsatisfied/uncared for kula deivam is generally believed to signify that by bringing evil portents one after the other.

I am no expert but mostly what I have seen is that thila homams are not effective; either the desire (male progeny, cure from mental illness, haunted signs in a newly constructed house, etc.) remains unfulfilled or some impediment (usually the wife of the main Kartha gets menses on the appointed day) vitiates complete successful performance of the Homa. I have heard of only one case in which a bright young teenager got cured from sudden mental illness when it was found that his paternal grandfather was poisoned by his (the latter's) wife because her illicit lover could no longer wait or something like that.

I will suggest Shri spaceshuttle to manouvre a bit like his moniker into a rational and scientific analysis of the problem/s which make him consider these homams. If the problems can be written in the forum post, I am sure that some of our members will give alternate routes (other than the homams) to tide over the problem/s.

Coming to the very first question in the OP, viz., are there two different homas called Thila Homam and Pitru Homam, I have not heard of Pitru Homam so far. Thila Homam is considered to be the last brahmaastra in the hands of the vaideekan to propitiate the unsatisfied/uncared for pitrus, who, like any unsatisfied/uncared for kula deivam is generally believed to signify that by bringing evil portents one after the other.

I am no expert but mostly what I have seen is that thila homams are not effective; either the desire (male progeny, cure from mental illness, haunted signs in a newly constructed house, etc.) remains unfulfilled or some impediment (usually the wife of the main Kartha gets menses on the appointed day) vitiates complete successful performance of the Homa. I have heard of only one case in which a bright young teenager got cured from sudden mental illness when it was found that his paternal grandfather was poisoned by his (the latter's) wife because her illicit lover could no longer wait or something like that.

I will suggest Shri spaceshuttle to manouvre a bit like his moniker into a rational and scientific analysis of the problem/s which make him consider these homams. If the problems can be written in the forum post, I am sure that some of our members will give alternate routes (other than the homams) to tide over the problem/s.

Respected Sir

Thanks for your information. If there is any other alternatives besides homams, anyone are welcome to come up with good suggestion

Thank You in Advance

My understanding of the situation in such matters is this:

1. People generally do not turn to kuladevatha, grama devatha or astrologers or pariharams prayachchittams etc untill they have exhausted the stock of all their rational, empirical and scientific options. The scientific solutions deal with all visible, imputable and derivable problems. But there are still problems which are intractable. These are not in the visible realm. Here comes our astrologer, tantric expert or simply the books on prayaschittams and remedies.

2. The attempt to do a homa or a yajna to propitiate a certain angry devatha is thus attempted virtually at the end of the road. Such people, by doing a homa or a yajna or a prayaschittam may get the desired result and may attribute it to their doing such a prayaschittam etc., Even if they do not get the desired result, they get the satisfaction that they have done every thing that is possible to get a result and yet have failed. This gives them a kind of mental satisfaction that it is not for want of efforts on their part that they have not got it. There are some who do these pariharams etc., as "a matter of abundant precaution" remedy. Whenever we buy a property for a new project we first build a temporary thatched cow shed and leave a cow there and put an employee there to take care of it for at least ten days. This we do as a matter of abundant precaustion to drive away any evil spirit from there. This is done on the basis of an advice once given by an expert in mAntrIkam to my partner.

3.Usually several remedies are recommended for problems. They include homa (like a sudarsana homa, a thila homa etc.,) a yajna (puthra kameshti,vajapeyam etc.,) or a simple prayschittam. A prayaschittam can be just a simple fasting for a certain number of days accompanied by chanting of Gayatri(Surya Gayatri) , taking panchagavyam, Giving in dhAnam specific items to satvic brahmins, chanting Vishnu Sahasranamam continuously for a certain number of times, visiting the temple of God and praying etc.,

Our friend Spaceshuttle is in need of solutions which are not in the domain of science and rationality. So he/she will have to take advice from appropriate people with expertise to advise on such matters. Whether it works or not, he/she will have the satisfaction of having sincerely tried a solution. It is like tightening the nut with your spanner by one more turn when you have already tightened it enough as determined by a torque meter. You have the satisfaction and that is important. It may even make things work for you well.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back