• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Philippines- A Tamil Hindu Colony?

Status
Not open for further replies.
golden-tara.jpg
Picture of Golden Tara in Chicago Museum

Philippines- A Tamil Hindu Colony?

The pre Spanish history of Philippines was shrouded in mystery. Now the mist around the Philippines is clearing thanks to recent discoveries. The Spaniards, wherever they went, destroyed the local culture, plundered their gold and massacred the people. They spared those people who converted to Christianity.

The Philippines is a country of 7000 islands. Nobody asked or wondered what those places were called before they named it “ Philippines” just 400 years ago. They had their own names, their own culture, but they were ignored as primitive and uncivilized. Fortunately one inscription and one golden statue escaped the wrath of the religious fanatics.
One important Tamil inscription of Rajendra Chola was not properly explained. Half of the place names mentioned in the inscription is not properly identified. The East Indies were known to Kalidasa of 1[SUP]st[/SUP] century BC. Parasurama was linked with Aparanta. Kalidasa used to mention Indonesia and the islands beyond as Dwipantara. Rajendra Cholas inscription mentioned Parasurama.

Hindu music instrument Kadjabi is still played in the Philippines. Hundreds of Sanskrit words are used in the islands even today.

Golden Statue

A five and a half inch tall golden statue recovered from Mindanao in 1917 is kept in the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago. Vishnu’s vehicle Garuda was found in Palawan. The gold statue is that of a Buddhist goddess known as Tara. It weighs 4 pounds (approximately 2 Kilos). It is dated 1200 to 1300 AD. It was found in Wawa River after heavy rains. Lot of gold was taken back to Spain and melted. Only a few escaped from the invaders.

Laguna Copper Plate inscription
Luzon in the Philippines was ruled by Lakans (local chieftains) from 900 AD until 1571. An inscription found there known as Laguna copperplate inscription dated 900 AD contains Sanskrit words and place names. The inscription which was found in 1989 contains information about debts cleared by the ruler of Tondo. Namwaran along with his children Lady Angkatana and Buka were cleared of debts. It was written in Kawi script. Lord Minister Jayadewa issued the order. The inscription is kept in the National Museum of the Philippines in Manila. A lot of Sanskrit words such as Swasti, Visaka,Chathurthi, Suwarna, Krishnapaksha, Somawara, Dewata, Jyotisa are in the text. Full text and translation is available in Wikipedia.

Laguna_Copperplate_Inscription.gif

Language
Wikipedia article says 25 percent of words in Philippines native language are from Sanskrit and Tamil. Look at the list given by Wikipedia:
From Tagalog:

* budhi "conscience" from the Sanskrit bodhi
* dukha "one who suffers" from the Sanskrit dukkha
* guro "teacher" from the Sanskrit guru
* sampalataya "faith" from the Sanskrit sampratyaya
* mukha "face" from the Sanskrit mukha
* laho "eclipse" from the Sanskrit rahu
* maharlika "noble" from Sanskrit mahardikka

From Kapampangan:

* kalma "fate" from the Sanskrit karma
* damla "divine law" from the Sanskrit dharma
* mantala -"magic formulas" from the Sanskrit mantra
* upaya "power" from the Sanskrit upaya
* lupa "face" from the Sanskrit rupa
* sabla "every" from the Sanskrit sarva
* lawu "eclipse" from the Sanskrit rahu
* Galura "giant eagle (a surname)" from the Sanskrit garuda
* Laksina -"south (a surname)" from the Sanskrit dakshin
* Laksamana/Lacsamana "admiral (a surname)" from the Sanskrit lakshmana

From Tausug:

* suarga "heaven"; compare "sorga" in modern Indonesian [1]
* neraka "hell"
* agama "religion"

Sanskrit and Sanskrit-derived words common to most Philippine languages:

* sutla "silk" from the Sanskrit sutra
* kapas "cotton" from the Sanskrit kerpas
* naga "dragon or serpent" from the Sanskrit naga

Ramayana in the islands

Ramayana and Mahabharata are popular in all the South East Asian countries. Philippines also have its own version of Ramayana. The Maranao version is Maharadia lawana ( Maharaja Ravana). Lam- Ang is the version of the Llocanos. Many verses of Hud Hud are from Ramyana and Mahabharata.

Musical Instruments
Several musical instruments of the Philippines are similar to Indian musical instruments and Kutiyapi is a corrupted word of Kadjabi, a Sanskrit word.

799px-Kutiyapi.jpg

Rajendra Chola Inscription
Rajendra Chola, son of the Raja Raja won many countries in South East Asia. The inscription named all the countries and islands he won around 1025 AD. K.A.Nilakanta Sastri, the greatest authority on South Indian History has written about his conquests. But when he wrote about the Cholas 75 years ago Laguna inscription was not discovere. Only Rajendra’s Tamil inscription was known. Now we know Philippine islands were under Hindu rulers even before Rajendra invaded S.E. Asian countries.

Scholars identify the following places in the inscription:
Sri Vijaya= Palembang, Pannai= North Sumatra, Malaiyur= Jambi, Mayirudingam= Thai-Malay peninsula, Ilangasokam= Langkasuka, Mappalam= Pegu, Mavimbangam= Isthumus of Ligor or Thai-Malay peninsula, Valaipanduru= Vietnam?, Talaitakkolam= Takoba, Madamalingam= Tambralinga, Ilamuridesam= Lamri in Aceh, Manakkavaram= Nicobar islands, Kadaram= Kedah.

Some of the above places are confirmed by secondary evidence. My research shows that the place names such as Mayirudingam, Mavimbangam are islands of Philippines. The reason for this is the trade roués to China went through these islands. During 1300 year rule, the countries established trade and political contacts with China which is confirmed by the Chinese writers. A patient decoding of Chinese transliterations may reveal more truths. Sanskrit and Tamil words are corrupted beyond recognition Eg. Liang Shu (Langkasoka).

Kaundinya from South India established the Hindu empire in the First century AD in Funan. Chinese writers have written about the rulers and their relationship with China. Agastya cult was deep rooted in Java, Sumatra and Bali islands. I have already written about it and Mulavarman’s Sanskrit inscription in Borneo.

More From History of Indian Culture by B.M.Luniy

“ Modern researchers have proved that the people of South India had established their colonies in the Philippines and they had considerably influenced all aspects of daily life. Handicrafts, coins, folk songs, traditions and many religious customs exhibit the Hindu influence there. The scripts of the people of Philippines bear striking resemblance with those of South India. In the realm of religious rites, rituals and assigning names, the natives of Philippines followed Indians closely. The names of the places on the Luzon coast and the shores of Manila bay indicate their Sanskrit origin. The discovery of Ganesh statue proves that the people followed Brahmanism. The hill tribes of Luzon worship early Vedic Gods even to this day.
The people of many islands in the Pacific Ocean have physical appearance similar to that of Indo Aryans. Their languages have resemblance with those of the pre Aryan Indians like Santhals. Their religious and social customs and beliefs betray traces of Hindu cultural influences. The Hula dance of Hawai islands and Shiva dance of Samoa are similar to the folk dances of Bengal

Their use of conch shell, nose flute, musical bones, staple food stuffs and animals reveal Indian origin. Many of their decorative designs, crafts, traditions, ideas of phallic symbolism and images are examples of old Polynesian cultural traits derived from the Brahmanical civilization”.

Please read my earlier posts

1.Pandya King who Ruled Vietnam 2.Ancient Sanskrit inscriptions in strange places 3.Sanskrit inscriptions in Mosques and on Coins 4.Sanskrit inscription and Magic Square on Tortoise 5.Ancient Tamil Dress 6.Pallankuzi (mancala) mystery 7.India- Madagascar Link 8.Is Brahmastra a Nuclear Weapon? 9.Great Engineers of Ancient India 10. The Mysterious Link between Karnataka and Cambodia
I have given below part of the text of Rajendra Chola’s inscription for the benefit of Tamil readers:
தொல்பெருங் காவற் பல்பழந் தீவும்
செருவிற் சினவி யிருபத் தொருகால்
அரசுகளை கட்ட பரசு ராமன்
மேவருஞ் சாந்திமத் தீவரண் கருதி
இருத்திய செம்பொற் றிருத்தகு முடியும் (20)
அலைகடல் நடுவுட் பலகலஞ் செலுத்திச்
சங்கிராம விசையோத் துங்க வர்ம
னாகிய கடாரத் தரசனை வாகையும்
பொருகடல் கும்பக் கரியொடு மகப்படுத் (50)
துரிமையிற் பிறக்கிய பருநிதிப் பிறக்கமும்
ஆர்த்தவ னகநகர்ப் போர்த்தொழில் வாசலில்
விச்சா திரத்தோ ரணமு மொய்த்தொளிர்
புனைமணிப் புதவமுங் கனமணிக் கதவமும்
நிறைசீர் விசயமுந் துறைநீர்ப் பண்ணையும்
வன்மலை யூரெயிற் றொன்மலை யூரும்
ஆழ்கட லகழ்சூழ் மாயிரு டிங்கமும்
கலங்கா வல்வினை இலங்கா சோகமும்
காப்புறு நிறைபுனல் மாப்பப் பாளமும்
காவலம் புரிசை மேவிலிம் பங்கமும் (60)
விளைப்பந் தூருடை வளைப்பந் தூரும்
கலைத்தக் கோர்புகழ் தலைத்தக் கோலமும்
தீதமர் பல்வினை மாதமா லிங்கமும்
கலாமுதிர் கடந்திற லிலாமுரி தேசமும்
தேனக்க வார்பொழில் மானக்க வாரமும் (65)
தொடுகடற் காவற் கடுமுரட் கடாரமும்
மாப்பொரு தண்டாற் கொண்ட கோப்பரகேசரி வன்மரான
உடையார் ஸ்ரீராசேந்திர சோழதேவர்க்கு யாண்டு..."

Excellent!

Mr.Swaminathan, A great work! By sitting in London you collected a lot of information. I salute you for the work.

I pray almighty and wish you to have another brain, or the same brain with extra space, that can sore more information.

Dear Sri Swaminathan,

Excellent post giving valuable information on the forgotten cultural and religious influence of Vedic - Agama religion from our Country in South east Asia, especially Philippines. I had many Filipinos working with me in Gulf. I too noticed that their language Tagalog contained many Sanskrit words, like Achaar ( Pickle) Darma, Lasuna ( oinion), and so on. My Filipino friends told that they were of Malay origin of migrant families who had to take asylum in Philippine islands when Islam invaded their home land. Philippine President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo during her official visit to India in 2007 said Indian cultural influence reached the Philippines indirectly via two great Indo-Malayan empires which traded with the Philippines. The Sriwijaya Empire (7th to 13th centuries) based in Palembang, Sumatra, was a mix of Buddhism and Hinduism. The Majapahit Empire (1293 to 1527) was Hindu, and centered in Java in what is now Indonesia. Indian hegemony over Southeast Asia ended with the decline of the Majapahit in the 14th century and the rise of Islam.

Ramayana in Philippines.
Rajah Mangandiri is the Philippine version of the great Indian epic "The Ramayana", as passed down through the centuries-old oral tradition of the " Maranao" people of the southern Philippines.

"Rajah Mangandiri" is Kinding Sindaw's original Philippine dance and music version of great epic "The Ramayana," . From the 4th to the 10th centuries, the Philippines, along with Malaysia, Indonesia and Southern Malaysia, Indonesia and southern Thailand, were all part of the Hindu "Sri Vijaya" Empire. As a dance, musical, and martial arts drama, RAJAH MANGANDIRI blends traditional forms of Maranao court and secular dances, with live kulintang (gamelan) orchestral music, silat and kali martial arts, and a touch of the contemporary in a rich visual, aural, and performance tapestry....Like no other RAMAYANA, the Princess Sita finally wield a sword. The Indian epic has been preserved in its authentic oral tradition of the centuries-old Maranao tribe of the southern Philippines and has been interpreted for the stage through the contemporary vision of Potri Ranka Manis, daughter of the Sultan of the Maranao tribe (a true modern-day Princess!), and her company of 16 young artists. The production is co-directed by Potri Ranka Manis and Wayland Quintero.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Dear Sri Ramachandran and Sri Brahmanyan

Thanks for your positive comments.

Thanks to Brahmanyan for adding more valuable information.

This area needs further research.

If I have time I will do it.Probably it is a lifetime work, so much is there.

I wish other members also add what they know about Philippines.

Very often I see Eastern people like Japan, Singapore visits Oriental manuscript Library, Chennai and take hundreds of photos of Palm leaves in PALI. I am sure they may be having more information. When I see them again certainly will ask them.

Dear Sri Ramachandran and Sri Brahmanyan Thanks for your positive comments. Thanks to Brahmanyan for adding more valuable information. This area needs further research. If I have time I will do it.Probably it is a lifetime work, so much is there. I wish other members also add what they know about Philippines.

Dear Sri Swaminathan,

I had gone through few of your posts in your Blog, and found them very interesting. I have also been searching authoritative reading materiel in respect of Hindu -(Vedic/Agamic ) religious and cultural colonisation of South east Asia. It is strange that our Civilisation spread over to almost all the Countries in South East Asia and sustained till now could not have cross reference in our literature ! But due to lack of books of research available here I could not progress much. I found the books on this subject by Dr R.C.Majumdar and Dr KA Neelakanda Sastry were reliable. Thanks to the Internet, now I could find quite a number of useful sites built-up by the native authors of South eastern Countries.

Well, I am happy to know that you are the son of Sri Santhanam (Editor-Dinamani, Madurai) I have met your father a couple of times in Chennai IE office. I was with Indian Express Group for more than two decades heading their Accounts Department at Bangalore. Bala (Late S.Balakrishnan) of Madurai was a good friend of mine.

Wishing you well,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Sri Brahmanyan

Nice to know that you were associated with the Indian Express Ltd. I was Senior Sub Editor, Dinamani, Madurai for 16 years till 1986. Then the BBC World Service recruited for broadcasting from the Bush House ,London in Tamizosai. I got stuck up in London for 26 years!
Regards.

Yes,it is possible. A DNA test may show closer relationship. But we must remember one thing culture can spread to other people of other ethnicity. Balinese Hindus are with mongoloid features.South East India was ruled by Hindus for nearly 1300 years.

Philippines-A Tamil Hindu Colony?
The pre Spanish history of Philippines was shrouded in mystery. Now the mistaround the Philippines is clearing thanks to recent discoveries. The Spaniards,wherever they went, destroyed the local culture, plundered their gold andmassacred the people. They spared those people who converted to Christianity…..

As colonists go, the Spanish are known for such atrocities. Look at what they did to the Mayan Civilization in South America.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back