• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Fire Walking: HINDU Tradition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wire Walking.jpeg

Fire Walking: HINDU Tradition

Fire walkers, I believe, walk through the fire with faith and devotion.
It is part of a vow in which the devotee promises to walk on fire in exchange for a wish granted by Amman. Devotees believe that if they are blessed by Amman then they will come out unscathed.
Belief and Faith are not based on reason and sometime humans need that to enhance their confidence level.

Here we see a young girl in Tamil Nadu walks on Fire

Courtesy
DINAMALAR

I remember once a Chinese priest said that during Fire Walking at the Chinese temple(even Chinese have Fire Walking ritual) he had a vision that the Goddess of Mercy's long white garment was covering the burning embers and the devotees were walking on it and hence they never felt heat.

So may be God answers sincere prayers of devotees are saves them from any danger.

Who is cheating whom?
Is that child walking on the coal fire has any intention of cheating the on lookers?
Are the devotees who undergo Viratham before Fire Walking has any intention to Cheat God and other devotees?
This ritual is observed in South India before Amman Temple Deity is not to Cheat others, nor for publicity.
It is done with full devotion and Faith, for non believers, it is a Fraud, for believers it is a faithful Ritual.

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" is a philosophical thought experiment that raises questions regarding observation and knowledge of reality.

If there is no audience will people try to do things for publicity?

Hui-neng's Flag
There is a well-known story of Hui-neng, a well-respected Buddhist monk who later became known as the founder of the Zen school, who one day happened to be passing by two monks.
"Two monks were arguing about the temple flag waving in the wind. One said, "The flag moves." The other said, "The wind moves." They argued back and forth but could not agree.
The Sixth Ancestor said, "Gentlemen! It is not the wind that moves; it is not the flag that moves; it is your mind that moves." The two monks were struck with awe."
- The Mumonkan Case 29, translation by Robert Aitken

Why do we need miracles to believe in GOD?
Faith without knowledge is misconception and undhviswas. Generally miracles are unexplained (to the viewer) events. It still mesmerizes us all the same. But it does not leave a lasting understanding of Atma.

Fire walking has been practiced by many people and cultures in all parts of the world, with the earliest known reference dating back to Iron Age India – c. 1200 BCE. It is often used as a rite of passage, as a test of an individual's strength and courage, or in religion as a test of one's faith. Firewalking became popular in the twentieth century when author Tolly Burkan began giving public classes throughout the United States and Europe in an effort to demonstrate that the practice was not paranormal.

Fire walking is frequently held to imply that the feat requires the aid of a supernatural force, strong faith, or on an individual's ability to focus on "mind over matter". Modern physics has explained the phenomenon, concluding that the amount of time the foot is in contact with the ground is not enough to induce a burn, combined with the fact that embers are not good conductor of heat.

Firewalking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
In south India , many from poor illiterate families take the vow to Fire walk and they believe that The Deity will protect them; the girl child in the picture is surely not aware of that her feet will not get burnt because "the amount of time the foot is in contact with the ground is not enough to induce a burn, combined with the fact that embers are not good conductor of heat".
It is her Faith and belief only that carried her through.
Such Faiths and Beliefs are essential to uplift confidence in their life.

In south India , many from poor illiterate families take the vow to Fire walk and they believe that The Deity will protect them; the girl child in the picture is surely not aware of that her feet will not get burnt because "the amount of time the foot is in contact with the ground is not enough to induce a burn, combined with the fact that embers are not good conductor of heat".
It is her Faith and belief only that carried her through.
Such Faiths and Beliefs are essential to uplift confidence in their life.

Sir,
You have childlike curiosity, and charm of childlike expression. It is very endearing.
Most of us have reached a age where we think we are rational and are jaded to an extent.
I am sorry if we keep busting your bubble.

No one is telling these "people", for them "ignorance is bliss". In TB site, we hope we are adult and understand the facts.
First of all I can not do it, I do not have that faith, nor the technique.
If you really believe that they do not burn is because of divine intervention, then let them walk on a steel plate at the same temperature as the burning coal for same distance.

Last edited:

I have seen 'fire running' (not walking as usually mentioned ) in two of the Amman temples of our village, for many years.

Here is the link for one of the temples.

Masani Amman Temple, Anaimalai

"Annual Kundam festival is celebrated with grandeur. Thousands of devotees come to Anaimalai to witness this festival.

The Temple flag hoisting on the new moon day of the Tamil month Thai (January - February) marks the beginning of Kundam

festival. On the 14th day of the festival special poojas are done to the Goddess. On the 16th day the Ther (Chariot) festival is

celebrated with grandeur. On the same day at around 10 PM in the night the holy fire is lit in the kundam (Fire pit). The next

day devotees offer their prayers to Goddess Masani and walk on the fire in the fire pit which is approximately 50 feet in length.

It is believed that when one walks over the fire with utmost devotion and belief the fire does not burn one's feet. On the 18th

day of the festival the temple flag is lowered and the Lord Mahamuni Pooja is performed. The 19th day brings the closure of

the kundam festival with sacred abhishekam to the Goddess."

P.S: Some persons who are not able to run fast enough DID get burns in their feet. My father used to treat them.

I am actually surprised why some of us are even doubting the power of Divinity?
Shouldn't we all feel happy that even though we directly can not witness Brahman but at least through such events of Fire Walking or even Thaipusam Kavadi we can witness the Mahima of God.

My father did tell me before when he was 16 years old he took Kavadi where he was supposed to get his cheeks pierced but my father was almost agnostic at that age and always challenging God types.
So each time the priest tried to pierce his cheek my father would feel pain then the priest got fed up and told my father "you have not surrendered to Lord Muruga that is why you I can not pierce this for you"

Then my grandfather started crying thinking that why his son was doing this and my father felt bad seeing his dad crying and prayed to Lord Muruga '"forgive me I surrender to you"

My dad said the next moment he felt like a current like sensation travel through his body and the priest pierced his cheek and there was no pain or blood.

I feel when we surrender to God anything is possible.

Do we really even still need to doubt that?

After all only after total surrender to Lord Krishna..Arjuna got the Geeta and also the Vishwaroop.

After all hard penances are nothing new to us Hindus..don't we read in Puranas the tough tapas done by some for example Arjuna did intense Tapas to obtain the Pasupatha weapon...his tapas made his body radiate heat too.

So with intense concentration and total surrender to God..God does answer our prayers.

Who is cheating whom?
Is that child walking on the coal fire has any intention of cheating the on lookers?
Are the devotees who undergo Viratham before Fire Walking has any intention to Cheat God and other devotees?
This ritual is observed in South India before Amman Temple Deity is not to Cheat others, nor for publicity.
It is done with full devotion and Faith, for non believers, it is a Fraud, for believers it is a faithful Ritual.

Sri. P. J, Greetings.

Although I address this message to you, I am addressing this message in general to the society. So, kindly don't take it personally, please.

Who is cheating whom?

What can be that child's problem or issue to decide to take up 'fire walking?' What ever it is/was, how come the parents reassure that child? or the close relatives reassure that child? or the closest society reassure that child? A child is not required to undergo any 'vradham' or any hardship. I don't know about others but neither I would like to see my child like that nor my wife.

In my opinion, the elderly persons and the society is cheating that child. So, what happens if that child's appeal was not answered? Who is going to mend that child's disappointment?

Even fasting is considered as 'psychological intimidation'. If my child says she won't eat I can't eat either. We always say we are God's children. When we fast, does the God fast too? If not, why not?

Faith is good. But extreme actions in the name of faith are Rajo actions; they are not very good at all.

Personally I am not against faith or belief. There are plenty beautiful songs to sing; colourful flowers are there to make garlands.... bakthi doesn't require extreme actions. there is always the risk of exhibitionism.

Bakthi?.. here is one example....

[video=youtube;LwcHIaiNILA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwcHIaiNILA[/video]

Cheers!

Greetings.

It is quite interesting to note fire walking as 'Hindu tradition'. Is it?

I think fire walking could be a pre-Hindu tradition. What was the religion followed before Hindu religion? It may be quite possible fire walking could the traditions of such faith and belief.

If I am wrong, kindly let me know, please. I have not seen a brahmin performing 'fire walking'. I have not seen a brahmin carrying a 'Kavadi'; I have not seen a brahmin with 'alagu' ( piercings in the cheek and other parts of the body). I have not seen a brahmin carrying a 'karagam'. Are these practices Hindu tradition? If they are, why brahmins are not performing them?

Cheers!

If I am wrong, kindly let me know, please. I have not seen a brahmin performing 'fire walking'. I have not seen a brahmin carrying a 'Kavadi'; I have not seen a brahmin with 'alagu' ( piercings in the cheek and other parts of the body). I have not seen a brahmin carrying a 'karagam'. Are these practices Hindu tradition? If they are, why brahmins are not performing them?

Cheers!

Dear Raghy,

Most of these types of worship traditions fall under Raja Guna mode of worship.
Brahmins are supposed to be predominantly Sattva in Guna..hence you do not find Brahmins doing these types of rituals.

This is not a Hindu tradition just because it is practiced by a few Hindus.

Last edited by a moderator:
The man saw the tree, and the child along with him saw the elephant inscribed in tree

Hi,

What you practice is not important, but the outcome of the practice is important. There are many such people still in india who think that india was better off before independence. And India was doing great.
Let's take those countries which was impouded just like us. Australia, canada, america, africa naming a few, the foreign religious people invaded these countries, Each family the women will be ruined, the father would be shot dead, the child be sold in some mines. 100% population ended up as 1%, and this 1% was made sure to be in prison for drug abuse. At last the natives of the country men ended up as aborigines. Or ended up as red indians, The where being humilated saying they practiced evil and that only falling on the feet of israeli son of god, they will get blah.....blah....blah.....

And now they are sitting outside the church after conversion, Now what did their language do? These invaders forced them to abort even their mother tongue...... No enquiry commission.... No United Nations.. nothing......
Outright millions finished off in gas chambers... just like that....

Now we will come to India,,, what these invaders do? If any one wants to know the wealth of india, following is the example: the two vaults of Lord padmanabha swamy amounts to US$21.84 billion or
7px-Indian_Rupee_symbol.svg.png
1.2 lakh crore, Now just imagine the amount of money looted by these foreign religious people.
In 1835 in british parliament, lord macaulay addressed the session as"

I have travelled across the length and breadth of India and I have not seen one person who is a begger, who is a thief, such wealth I have seen in this country, such high moral values, people of such caliber, that I do not think we would ever conquer this country, unless we break the very backbone of this nation, which is her spiritual and cultural heritage, and, therefore, I propose that we replace her old and ancient education system, her culture, for if the Indians think that all that is foreign and English is good and greater than their own, they will lose their self-esteem, their native culture and they will become what we want them, a truly dominated nation.”

And the seeds sown by these foreign religious missionaries are still working very well with we indians, How many people know that THE HINDU newspaper is no more a hindu... but it has got converted to foreign religion. Recently an article abusing Swamy vivekananda was published. when a foreign religious missionary in karnakata, got a beggar on the road for few thousands printed a book saying abusive character about mother sita, and got him converted and made in read the book, and took him to vel ilang kanni amman temple(Former name,,, current name is velankanni), A hug cry erupted in karnataka, but nonse of the newspapers printed the reason behind the christian invasion. After a couple of weeks the THE HINDU article printed a edition in the middle page, the author stated that,,, just because sita was called as prostitute these hindus began rioting... what a shame....what is wrong with that.... why need to make huge fuss about it............

Coming back to fire ritual.....
When india was under foreign rule, these foreigners mocked at our country and tradition, they preached that we were praying evil,
Lord Muruga was taken in procession across the streets, and the priest was swaying the fan, And mockingly these christians missionaries said, "Is it sweating for your god?
THe priest replied yes. And these christians missonaries asked indians to prove it. Thus the priest removed all the flowers and adornments, Cleanly wiped the statue, Because there may be some wetness due to garlands,
And the priest applied dry cloth, and loooo within minutes the cloth became wet.

Now who was trying to prove what????/

If you stil want another instance....

During the christian invasion,,,, The 6 abodes of Lord muruga Thiruchender was being looted by christians,,, and ran away with some of the idols,,,, and in the middle of the sea,, there was a severe storm, the christians started to have fear and fell on Lord muruga and threw the statues in the sea, to be later retrieved after Lord showed himself in a dream to the devotee...

Now who was trying to prove what?????

Aurangazeb was in delhi and during a stroll in the night he saw a bright light towards the south, and he inquired his minister as to what it was. To which he got the reply....some 350+ kilometers at mathura, there is a temple for lord krishna the ancestors of Indians which has seven storey, and indians where paying obeisance to him, but lighting the fire on the 7th floor,

Now our secular man, he was very annoyed,, how can a indian be superior to saudi, How can a temple be taller than saudi,,, pull it down. and thus he did, converted 7 story into 3 or 4, (I forgot almost a decade since i visited), But wait, the idols inside the temple was not completely destroyed, but partially severed, As a token of remembrance to the indians, that if they do not fall on the feet of foreigners this will be the fate.... But please wait a second, here story does not end..... Only indians have the unique blood, that god is born, all other countries only the son of god is born..... Lord krishna appeared in the dream of the priest and said that he did not wish to give darshan to aurangazeb, the secular. Hence Lord asked the priest to take him to rajasthan, and when aurabgazeb saw that the could not find justice in his work, He marched his army to rajasthan, Now God was seated on the hill top, and when he kept the first step on the hills, and loooo he became blind....

Now what was one trying to prove???????????

Than kaalil irukkum seripai than thalaiyala adikkum maha purushargall.... We indians....... Because the foreign religious invasion is still going on.....
Last year 2011, The sun network beamed a visual in news... reg. december 25th, And the concerned religious priest was speaking very highly how swamy vivekananda has a major part to play in promoting this foreign religion, and this year 2013, on pongal once again the sun network played the new in the afternoon,, the foreign religious people celebrated pongal with joy and pamper.

If you see it as a god, it is god,,, if you see it as a fiction, it is a fiction

Hi,
Yes fire walking is a pre-hindu tradition.

This tradition was started by people who practiced called santana dharma ........ But now these people are extinct and its godly practices are no more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back