• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Is Second Marriage Allowed in Hindu Bhramin Tradition

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you mean two wives at the same time, by the term second marriage, at present it is unlawful. But Hindu brahmin tradition does not prohibit that, imho. Post-Ramayana period, hindus have sort of adopted Ekapatnee vrata as a standard, I feel. Even so I have seen a few tabras who took a second wife because they could not get a child (son) through the first wife.

I have a doubt,can you solve it?
Is Second Marriage Allowed in Hindu Bhramin Tradition,Share your comments.

Your question is incomplete.
Legally? If you first wife does not object you can have a second wife in India. (See Dharmendra).
You can always change your religion to Muslim.
You can always find an excuse to go around any custom, either by moving to a different region or religion.
Morally? It is between your convictions and the social norms.
Ultimatly it boils down to your intentions. You have not expressed your motivation for that question.

I noticed that you have mentioned ‘second marriage’ and did not address it per se to man or woman.

Kunti is supposed to have Karnan outside of marriage, and many within. Panchali had 5 husbands. Not so well read, I think, there must be others in our tradition with multiple husbands.

Re the men, Dasaratha onwards has had several wives at the same time. Krishna had thousands of concubines.

So if you take our Hindu tradition, men women appear to have had considerable freedom not only to choose, but to choose several times.

Re Brahmins in particular, I know of relations upto two generations ago, for various reasons, having 2 wives, many a times, marrying sisters, and sometimes both the sisters at the same time. The singers Brinda Mukta, or Radha Jayalakshmi are supposed to have shared consort, and it was said, to enable a smooth professional life (!). Palghat Mani had two wives.

But today, most guys find it tough to handle one wife. Why bother with the hassle of double the trouble?

Sri. Mahesh,

Hope you will continue to participate.

Hindu Brahmin Tradition does not object second marriage. Well, it can be many marriages too. If you notice any marriage, at no point during the ceremony the audience are given an opportunity to object the marriage. So, any number of marriages are possible.

I answered your question. Can you kindly answer my question now, please? Why are asking this question? are you aiming to enter in a 'second marriage' relationship?

Cheers!

If you are a married man, thinking of marrying a second woman, do think of how you will respond if your first wife also wants to marry another man.

Because if a second marriage is allowed for a Hindu Brahmin man, it should be allowed for a Hindu Brahmin woman as well.

Hello Mahesh ,Hope not too personal ,either for your side or a doubt basis for general \ friend ,as you have not mention for which gender,on what grounds, either you need only on our religion \ culture ,legal also .In general one has to find out why this clause ,\ what made this out come cos, up to maximum level discussion ,frank out spoken will lessen the disturbances.unless & until its beyond the maxi level.since you have raised a question on chit-chat side, you have to bear & answer to questions ,hope you come out frankly ,later we all can let few suggestions.

Well if you're marrying for the second time, why would you worry about your ex wife and who she is marrying or not marrying?! Strange.

According to the scriptures, a Hindu marriage is in dissolvable in life. Still polygamy was rampantly practiced in ancient Hindu society.

An address by Bhishma to King Yudhishthira in the Mahabharata, succinctly endorses this fact: "A Brahmana can take three wives. A Kshatriya can take two wives. As regards the Vaishya, he should take a wife from only his own order. The children born of these wives should be regarded as equal." (Anusasana Parva, Section XLIV).

... But now that polygamy has been completely gutted out by law, monogamy is the only option for Hindus.

Nowadays if a Brahmin boy gets married without much waiting first time, it is great thing, but second time marrying is next to impossible.

Polygamy in Hinduism

Well if you're marrying for the second time, why would you worry about your ex wife and who she is marrying or not marrying?! Strange.

Please read my post carefully. Whoever said it was ex-wife? If it was ex-wife, why would even the question of second marriage arise? Isnt it obvious, that in the absence of a current spouse a new marriage would be fine?

According to the scriptures, a Hindu marriage is in dissolvable in life. Still polygamy was rampantly practiced in ancient Hindu society.

An address by Bhishma to King Yudhishthira in the Mahabharata, succinctly endorses this fact: "A Brahmana can take three wives. A Kshatriya can take two wives. As regards the Vaishya, he should take a wife from only his own order. The children born of these wives should be regarded as equal." (Anusasana Parva, Section XLIV).

... But now that polygamy has been completely gutted out by law, monogamy is the only option for Hindus.

Nowadays if a Brahmin boy gets married without much waiting first time, it is great thing, but second time marrying is next to impossible.

Polygamy in Hinduism

Well in reality I think Kshatriyas took the most wives.

Hello Kunjuppu sir ,to your post 4 ,may i know which palagat mani sir ,cos the famous musician family grand kids are my very best childhood friends, sir but not for gossip purpose .if not disturbing could please up date . ( By the by my pals are relative to Smt. DKP)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back