• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Grahapravesam-Query

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vanakkam to all,

Recently I bought a house and would like to have the house warming ceremony in the month of thai. Since my wife is pregnant I am planning to perform the pooja with the help of my parents. However my friends say since my wife is pregnant and the house is registered in my name, we have to conduct the house warming ceremony after child birth only. Please clarify.

thanks & regards

Vijay.S

Vanakkam to all,

Recently I bought a house and would like to have the house warming ceremony in the month of thai. Since my wife is pregnant I am planning to perform the pooja with the help of my parents. However my friends say since my wife is pregnant and the house is registered in my name, we have to conduct the house warming ceremony after child birth only. Please clarify.

thanks & regards

Vijay.S

If you plan to perform the ceremony under the aegis of purohits or vathiyars, consult them mainly, and let them be the arbiters of the proper conduct of the house-warming function. Your friends may not necessarily be familiar with all the sastrams and aacharams. In all my years of familiarity with Tamil practices, I have never heard of such restriction.

Vanakkam to all,

thanks & regards

Vijay.S

Yes, sir. There is a belief that when the wife is already pregnant, one should not start constructing own house, instal the main "uttharam" or beam in his own house, nor perform grihapravesam. It does not matter whether you circumvent it by doing the grihapravesam with the help of your parents, but the belief says that irredeemable harm will befall your family. So, it depends upon you, finally.

Last edited:
Dear Sangom Sir,

Please correct the typo - first word in the third line
!!

If you are referring to the word "grihapravesam", I think this is the second best. Graha refers to planet and the sanskrit word may also mean something which siezes, lays hold on, etc. The correct word for housewarming is गृहप्रवेशं (gṛhapraveśaṃ) but when IAST is not easy, we write grihapravesam.

Namaskaram to all,

My Grandfather(Age 87) expired on July 30,2012. We performed 6th month anniversary in the month of Jan'13. His varshabdigam is in the month of Aug'13.

We bought an Apartment which is under Construction. It will be handed over to us in the month of April'13 or May'13.

My question is "Can we perform Grahapravesam before my grandfather's varshabdigam or do we need to wait till that time??"

Kindly advice me..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back