Tamil Brahmins
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: go-dhanam?

Level
    Downloads
    Uploads

go-dhanam?

my father passed away on july 22nd this year. we need to give go-dharam. What it the appropriate time to give this dhanam.
    should it be igiven after 1st year ceremony or during the masikam.
    Also, please suggest some suitable places since i dont want to give it to a bhramin who will sell it later or i dont want to buy a cow which is already given by someone as go-dhanam.

Please advice me i live in bangalore and can travel.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    HI
    there are go shalas many temples in tamil nadu....temples can take care of them....i know some temples....like sri madrudeeshwarar

temple in thiruvanmiyur chennai...they have nice goshaala....just check with them....
    asato maa sadh gamayaa, tamaso maa jyotir
    gamayaa, mrityor maa amritham gamayaaa..
    om shanti, om shanti, om shanti...upanishad
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
  5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sir,
    If you have not given go-dhanam on the 12th day, you can give it on any day thereafter. I know one Ashram where they
    maintain the cows sincerely. They would like to give you the cost of the cow and a corpus amount for feeding the cow
    thereafter. The interest on the corpus will be utilised for feeding.

If interested, you can contact Yogi Ramsuratkumar Trust, Agrahara collai, Chengam road, Tiruvannamalai, which is
    situated on the opposite side of SRi Ramanashramam and Sri Seshadri swamigal ashram.
  7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You may also contact sri. g. kj. seetharaman ( Publisher Your family friend magazine) from 2/346 Agraharam, kalancheri, Thanjavur 613504. Phone: 04374-239330; 239331; 239383; 239993. He is conducting Veda patasalai and is owning agri lands there.
  9. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgopalan View Post
    You may also contact sri. g. kj. seetharaman ( Publisher Your family friend magazine) from 2/346 Agraharam, kalancheri, Thanjavur 613504. Phone: 04374-239330; 239331; 239383; 239993. He is conducting Veda patasalai and is owning agri lands there.

My Priest is telling me that you have to give godhaanam in the 6th Month. So that the atma can cross a river with the help of the cow.
    This crossing will be done in the 6th Month.

Some people say that its is okay if you give it within a year. I am not so sure.

Please advice me.
  11. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sir,
    The priest says that We have to give in the six month. As it will help the soul to cross the river.

Some people say that you can give any day after 12th day within one year.

Please clarify this.
  13. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Before crossing the vaidharani river cow dhaanam should be done. do as per the advice of your priest.
  15. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by vsr13 View Post
    my father passed away on july 22nd this year. we need to give go-dharam. What it the appropriate time to give this dhanam.
    should it be igiven after 1st year ceremony or during the masikam.
    Also, please suggest some suitable places since i dont want to give it to a bhramin who will sell it later or i dont want to buy a cow which is already given by someone as go-dhanam.

Please advice me i live in bangalore and can travel.
    Shri vsr13,

Vast majority of tabra death ceremonies today go on without any actual "Godaanam" and I don't think all those souls are languishing this side of the vaitarani Vaadhyars know whom to "milk" through all such items and he has found you to be one, possibly. Otherwise, people go in for godaanam nowadays only if the death was a durmaranam, death due to unnatural causes. In most cases some cow will be brought and notionally given as daanam to a brahmin and, at the conclusion a higher amount will go to that Brahmanan and a nominal amount to the owner of the cow who will go home with his cow, and present the very same cow next day for another go-daanam! That's the world AFAIK.

श्रेयो भूयात् सकलजनानाम् ।
  17. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    sangom,

when my grandmother died, we did go dhaanam. the scenario was just what you described. the owner came, and i (who did all the kriyai) timidly handed over the cow to the priest, who handed it back to the owner. and cash exchanged hands. which was several years ago.

of more recent, for my own parents' ceremonies, in varanasi, even new garments were not given to the needy brahmins. the ganapadigal, took all my cash, and at the appropriate moment, mrs ganapadigal arrived with the said saris and veshtis, which were circulated from her to her hubby to me to the poor back to mrs ganapadigal back to bureau.

i have written about it in detail in this forum long ago.

i realize that death is perhaps the most defining incident that those who left behind feel strongly about ensuring what they believe as 'proper' to do. somebody told me, not to worry if the ganapadigal abused his duties entrusted to him, but our hands and hearts are clear, that we did the 'right' thing.

at one point i agreed, but now i am not so sure. with this knowledge, i knew, that my 'innocence' was gone. i was a witness to this corruption of a ritual, something so feeling and sacred for me, for it concerned my mother and father. how can i reconcile this to my own conscience?

i was only glad, that i did not bring my eldest son, who wanted to witness this. i would have had a tough time explaining the dhanam circus that i witnessed. my sister, who was with me, ultimately, at the end, burst out in anger, grief at the sight this callousness.

having complained, as usual, i do not know of any alternatives. i feel damned, if i do and damned if i dont do

i checked out the arya samaj website. they have prescriptions for weddings, but none for death.

Sinhachalam

i would be equally careful about sending a cow to a temple. Sinhachalam is not the only place where this happens. i dont know if we just give a cow to satisfy our conscience and forget about what goes on afterwards. so much emotion is tied to the dhanam itself, and so much to the cow. it may be better to avoid this altogether. but then faith intervenes.

tough decisions and no easy way, when one starts thinking through, for such things.

my empathies and sincerest condolences to vsr.

ps... come to think of it, i think the ganapadigal in varanasi, also performed the cow circus. i was so distraught at the whole arrangement for the 6 days, it probably escaped me. i remember my uncle, on whose recommendation we went, announcing later, that all the functions were performed 100% vedic style! and my parents are lucky. what luck, i still dont know.
    Last edited by kunjuppu; 15-12-2012 at 03:33 AM.
  19. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast