• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sodhakumbham ritual

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

m.r.moorthi

Respected learned ones,
I would like to know what is Sodhakumbham ceremony and when this is performed.
I know after the death of a person this ceremony is performed during 27th day ceremonies and 41st day ceremonies.Is this to be performed every month along with Oonam & Masikam?

If Hiranyam is performed,Sodhakumbham also a part?
kindly clarify.

M.R.moorthi

Respected learned ones,
I would like to know what is Sodhakumbham ceremony and when this is performed.
I know after the death of a person this ceremony is performed during 27th day ceremonies and 41st day ceremonies.Is this to be performed every month along with Oonam & Masikam?

If Hiranyam is performed,Sodhakumbham also a part?
kindly clarify.

M.R.moorthi

Respected Members,
I am quite new to this site,joined a couple of days ago with a hope of getting reliable informations from knowledgeble brahmins on this valuable forum.
Can anyone enlighten me with an informative response please to my first post?
Regards,
M.R.Moorthi

Respected Members,
I am quite new to this site,joined a couple of days ago with a hope of getting reliable informations from knowledgeble brahmins on this valuable forum.
Can anyone enlighten me with an informative response please to my first post?
Regards,
M.R.Moorthi

Well Sodakumbam ritual should be performed for one year from the completion of 13 day. It is a nitya karma till the end of the year. As it is not possible to perform now a days, we perform just day before masikam & una masikam.

Sodakumbam will not be preformed during the day of masikam / una masikam.

Dear Shri.Srinikam,
Thank you.Can I have some more information on the subject?

I am 73 year old.My mother expired on 21/12/2009 and I did all the karma from the day of her death to the 41st day i.e three unams and due to my inablity to continue to perform every month I decided to perform all in 6th month that falls in June,2010.

I have an younger brother who stays in T.nadu & I in AP. The Sastrigal who conducted the cermonies before advised my younger brother to carry on the monthly ceremony even without my involvement,as I was not able to and he followed the advice till this month but the sastrigal performed only Unam& masikam.No sodhakumbam. He seems to have advised my brother that I perform the sixth month ceremony for three days with Sodhakumbam only with 2 brahmins.
As I want to perform the 6th month ceremony at my place & when I consulted my sastrigal here,he said that the younger brother has no karma authority to perform all these & what he did had no relevance.
He advised me to perform the 6th ceremony with 4 more brahmins(for the earlier unperformed months by me)in addition to the 2 for the sixth one.Here he mentioned only 2 day ceremonies(unam& Masikam).

As I am confused with two versions of the sastrigals, I have here to make a request to learned persons here well versed with karma practices to guide me as to the correct &appropriate process of doing this ceremony.
Look forward to valuable guidance so that I am not taken for a ride by greedy sastrigals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Shri.Srinikam,
Thank you.Can I have some more information on the subject?

I am 73 year old.My mother expired on 21/12/2009 and I did all the karma from the day of her death to the 41st day i.e three unams and due to my inablity to continue to perform every month I decided to perform all in 6th month that falls in June,2010.

I have an younger brother who stays in T.nadu & I in AP. The Sastrigal who conducted the cermonies before advised my younger brother to carry on the monthly ceremony even without my involvement,as I was not able to and he followed the advice till this month but the sastrigal performed only Unam& masikam.No sodhakumbam. He seems to have advised my brother that I perform the sixth month ceremony for three days with Sodhakumbam only with 2 brahmins.
As I want to perform the 6th month ceremony at my place & when I consulted my sastrigal here,he said that the younger brother has no karma authority to perform all these & what he did had no relevance.
He advised me to perform the 6th ceremony with 4 more brahmins(for the earlier unperformed months by me)in addition to the 2 for the sixth one.Here he mentioned only 2 day ceremonies(unam& Masikam).

As I am confused with two versions of the sastrigals, I have here to make a request to learned persons here well versed with karma practices to guide me as to the correct &appropriate process of doing this ceremony.
Look forward to valuable guidance so that I am not taken for a ride by greedy sastrigals.

Yes the Second shastrigal is right. There is no right to the youngers to perform the masikam & unamasikam except the eldest. If the elder is away & when returned back, then he is supposed to carry out all the masikam & the unamasikam cannot be perfomed except the days adviced. So your shastrigal adviced you correctly.

Also there is a say that, if brothers are diveded then both should perform but as per as the well educated scholars of shastras, it is very clear that, the first year karmas should be carried out by the eldest living son only & the remaining to assist him by physically as well as financially. However the yearly shradham can be performed seperately but once performed, it should be carried out till the end of their life.

As I mentioned earlier, the sodakumbam is not adviced now due to the busy life style. However it is adviced to perform the same on last day of the month i.e before masikam. which makes as last day sodakumbam & fisrt day masika shradham in the month.

Pranam.

Yes the Second shastrigal is right. There is no right to the youngers to perform the masikam & unamasikam except the eldest. If the elder is away & when returned back, then he is supposed to carry out all the masikam & the unamasikam cannot be perfomed except the days adviced. So your shastrigal adviced you correctly.

Also there is a say that, if brothers are diveded then both should perform but as per as the well educated scholars of shastras, it is very clear that, the first year karmas should be carried out by the eldest living son only & the remaining to assist him by physically as well as financially. However the yearly shradham can be performed seperately but once performed, it should be carried out till the end of their life.

As I mentioned earlier, the sodakumbam is not adviced now due to the busy life style. However it is adviced to perform the same on last day of the month i.e before masikam. which makes as last day sodakumbam & fisrt day masika shradham in the month.

Pranam.

Dear Shri.Srinikam,

Very many thanks for having given a very clear information on the rituals.
If you are comfortable,can you give one more clarification please?

My mother expired on 21/12/2009 after noon at about 12-20 pm.
Sukla Panchami.

For the 6th unam
The First Sastrigal has given dates as below.
June,2010: 13th:Oonam 15th: Sodhakumbham & 16th:Masikam

The second Sastrigal for the same 6th Unam

June 2010:14th Oonam & 16th Masikam & no Sodhakumbham mentioned.

As there is no clarity between these two,I wish to know as to what is Sodakumbham & it needs to be performed along with the 6th Oonam& Masika.
Please enlighten me.
Regards

After the demisal of father or mother one have to study GARUDA PURANAM. From the first day and before the tenth day A small book only around 100 pages will be there. All the members of that family must study this book.Servants of yama are taking the deceased persons athma to the yama logam. You are giving food and water everymonth the previuos day of the panchami thithi to your mother.to the yama servant which will make him happy and the journey with your will be smmoth. On every sukla paksha chathurthy day one Sasthrigal must be fed and a brass vessel filled with water must be given to him as dhaanam. On every suklapatcha panchami day Masyam must be done This gives food to your mother. One month for us is one day for your mother. so each day you arte giving food for one year both for the servant and for your mother. On their way 16 shelters are there your maasya and sodakumba food will be supplied to them there in the shelter place . You are doing as oona masyam for the other 4 sheltering places Within this 12 months. Only eldest son must do it. You do not bother about one day before or after for oona mashyam purpose.Sodhakumbam on 15th and mashyam on 16th is correct. OOna mashyam will come after 27th day; after 40th day;after 170th day after 340th day. oona mashyam must be done on odd thithi day.so 13th is correct for oona mashyam. On the 12th day itself all the 16 mashyams may be done as our life for one year is not guaranteed. Besides we must do every month sodhakumbam and mashyam.

After the demisal of father or mother one have to study GARUDA PURANAM. From the first day and before the tenth day A small book only around 100 pages will be there. All the members of that family must study this book.Servants of yama are taking the deceased persons athma to the yama logam. You are giving food and water everymonth the previuos day of the panchami thithi to your mother.to the yama servant which will make him happy and the journey with your will be smmoth. On every sukla paksha chathurthy day one Sasthrigal must be fed and a brass vessel filled with water must be given to him as dhaanam. On every suklapatcha panchami day Masyam must be done This gives food to your mother. One month for us is one day for your mother. so each day you arte giving food for one year both for the servant and for your mother. On their way 16 shelters are there your maasya and sodakumba food will be supplied to them there in the shelter place . You are doing as oona masyam for the other 4 sheltering places Within this 12 months. Only eldest son must do it. You do not bother about one day before or after for oona mashyam purpose.Sodhakumbam on 15th and mashyam on 16th is correct. OOna mashyam will come after 27th day; after 40th day;after 170th day after 340th day. oona mashyam must be done on odd thithi day.so 13th is correct for oona mashyam. On the 12th day itself all the 16 mashyams may be done as our life for one year is not guaranteed. Besides we must do every month sodhakumbam and mashyam.

Dear Shri kgopalan,
Thank you very much for the details.

The second sastrigal mentioned only two day ceremonies one on the 14th June(As 15th June, Tuesday,Karinal & Soonyathithi & hence he prefered 14th) and the Masyam on 16th June but he did not mention any ceremony on the 13th for the 6th Masyam

I wish to know for the 6th Masyam it is 2 day or 3 day ceremony.
ie: Oonam & masyam.
Can you kindly clarify?

13-6-2010 OONamasyam and 16th june regular masyam must be done.as per swaminatha sarma kaiyedu. as per kanchi acharyal madathu panchangam 14th june oonam and 16th june regular masyam must be done. which panchangam you are using.I am using acharyal madathu panchangam . as per this 14th and 16th two days ceremony. This as per samkshepa dharma sastram written by manjakudi venkatarama sastrigal.1988 edition.Published by heritage india educational trust mylapore chennai.As you have asked about sodhakumbam in page 323 kathyayana maharishi says after 12th day pretha bhavam is over by sapindikaranam aana piragu prethathvam neengividugirathu.dhahana thaapam illai. aathalal sodhakumbam etharku enru ninaikkalam. sastram oru varudam varai seyya solli irrukirathu.aagaaiyal pretha bhavam neenginalum manathil pretha papamiruppathu pol thonrum enru ariyavum.Sodhakumbam must be done daily if not possible this canbe done the previous day of maasyam .now sodhakumbam may be done on 15th you may skip it It is left to your choice.This is only the differnce between two panchangams.and the way of approach to fix oona masyam is correct for the both sastrigals.Using thriganitha panchangam is correct and as per this 14th and 16th are correct.Please feel free to ask me any doubts .

13-6-2010 OONamasyam and 16th june regular masyam must be done.as per swaminatha sarma kaiyedu. as per kanchi acharyal madathu panchangam 14th june oonam and 16th june regular masyam must be done. which panchangam you are using.I am using acharyal madathu panchangam . as per this 14th and 16th two days ceremony. This as per samkshepa dharma sastram written by manjakudi venkatarama sastrigal.1988 edition.Published by heritage india educational trust mylapore chennai.As you have asked about sodhakumbam in page 323 kathyayana maharishi says after 12th day pretha bhavam is over by sapindikaranam aana piragu prethathvam neengividugirathu.dhahana thaapam illai. aathalal sodhakumbam etharku enru ninaikkalam. sastram oru varudam varai seyya solli irrukirathu.aagaaiyal pretha bhavam neenginalum manathil pretha papamiruppathu pol thonrum enru ariyavum.Sodhakumbam must be done daily if not possible this canbe done the previous day of maasyam .now sodhakumbam may be done on 15th you may skip it It is left to your choice.This is only the differnce between two panchangams.and the way of approach to fix oona masyam is correct for the both sastrigals.Using thriganitha panchangam is correct and as per this 14th and 16th are correct.Please feel free to ask me any doubts .

Dear Shri.kgopalan,
Heartfelt thanks for explanations.

Actually my younger bother stays in Tamil nadu where my mother expired & I & family stay in Andhrapradesh.Till the 41 st day ceremony I performed at my brother's place and returned to my place.Then I planed to perform the next only for the 6th month which is falling in June.

Both the Sastrigals follow Vakya(Pambu)Panchangam.

But my brother on the adivice his sastrigal continued to perform Oonam & masikam till this month as Hiranyam without my presence& also without Sodhakumbham. Perhaps his satrigal advised my brother this on his profit motive,as my brother is liberal.
Now this sastrigal says OOnam,Sodhakumbham & masikam for the 6th maskam(13,15 &16th June).I think the 6th masikam is no way different from other masikams peformed.

My brother's Sastrigal not advised sodakumbham for previous month ceremonies but has advised for the 6th month ceremony. Whether this advice is correct & now asks my brother to call me to perform the 6th month.
As I prefered to perform the 6th ceremony at my place.my sastrigal here selscted only two days(one on 14th & the other on the 16th June,as 15th is not good as per him,Karinal,Soonya thithi etc)

When i expressed my intension to perform the 6th to my Sastrgal here,he just referred the Panbu panchangam and just gave me two days.
Here only I am confused because of the two versions though both are Sastrigals on whom we have to believe do things as advised.

Can I feel free to request you to kindly give your view & guidance?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rishi vasister says the thithi during sunset is considered best for pithru karmas.14th june even thithi dwithiyai is there upto 2pm.and oddd thithi thrithiyai is there during sunset.so 14th is for oonamashyam.the best. regarding 13th the odd thithi prathamai is there upto 4pm. so at the sunset time even thithi dwithiyai is there.as pern vasister rishi it is not suited for oonamashyam. and also after amavasyai prathamai is not good any auspicious ceremonies. so your sastrigal have selected 14th.but there is another rule by rishi two thithis on the same day is not fit for oona masyam.Based on that rishi that sastrigal has selected 13th. yogam is good for both the days.15th is not good for all sastrigals as it is karinal.16th is panchami day regular mashyam must be done.This oona mashyam must be done before 17th. so there is no other way.For sodhakumbam purpose you need not look for karinal and soonya thithi.It must be performed on the previous day of regular mashyam 16th is also soonya thithi. but for regular mashyam you need not see soonya thithi. only sukla paksha panchami day. for oona mashyam you have to see soonya thithi karinal marana yogam ;odd thithi etc;both days are having (13th&14th )demerits.Very very strictly speaking you cannot find a date. 14th is muhurtha naal so he might have sugessted 13th.as in these days scarcity of sastrigals are there., we have to adjust with them..There is no mistake on both of them .You can do in Andhra itself on 14th 15th and 16th This is only my opinion.Request the sastrigal to make arrangements for sodhakumbam also on 15th.

Rishi vasister says the thithi during sunset is considered best for pithru karmas.14th june even thithi dwithiyai is there upto 2pm.and oddd thithi thrithiyai is there during sunset.so 14th is for oonamashyam.the best. regarding 13th the odd thithi prathamai is there upto 4pm. so at the sunset time even thithi dwithiyai is there.as pern vasister rishi it is not suited for oonamashyam. and also after amavasyai prathamai is not good any auspicious ceremonies. so your sastrigal have selected 14th.but there is another rule by rishi two thithis on the same day is not fit for oona masyam.Based on that rishi that sastrigal has selected 13th. yogam is good for both the days.15th is not good for all sastrigals as it is karinal.16th is panchami day regular mashyam must be done.This oona mashyam must be done before 17th. so there is no other way.For sodhakumbam purpose you need not look for karinal and soonya thithi.It must be performed on the previous day of regular mashyam 16th is also soonya thithi. but for regular mashyam you need not see soonya thithi. only sukla paksha panchami day. for oona mashyam you have to see soonya thithi karinal marana yogam ;odd thithi etc;both days are having (13th&14th )demerits.Very very strictly speaking you cannot find a date. 14th is muhurtha naal so he might have sugessted 13th.as in these days scarcity of sastrigals are there., we have to adjust with them..There is no mistake on both of them .You can do in Andhra itself on 14th 15th and 16th This is only my opinion.Request the sastrigal to make arrangements for sodhakumbam also on 15th.

Dear Shri.kgopalan,
I am very happy to receive your opinion & advice with references to Rish Vasister on Pithru Karma.I have now clearly followed & as per your advice I will also ask my sastrigal to perform Sodhakumbham on the 15th,though the satrigal left it,giving only 14& 16th.(oonan& Masikam).

Thank you very much.I will get back, in case I need any advice or you view.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back