• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Where went Iyer culture, surname?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Iyer

Whereas on the one side Science and Technology are progressing, on the other side the civilian community still cling on to traditions and culture. Absolutely nothing wrong. When moving out of Tamil Nadu in India, when working in offices in Bangalore, Bombay, Delhi, Calcutta etc, you are surrounded by colleagues who carry their surnames more proudly than their credentials. You will find no dearth of Reddys, Naidus, Nairs, Menons, Gaekwars, Chabras, Mukherjees, Bannerjees etc etc. But one surname, which once upon a time made a tremendous impact on society, is moribund now. Even its absence is not conspicuous. People who should be having the surname are shy to have it now. Doubtless, I meant the Iyers and Charys and Sastris. Where are the Iyers, Sastris and Charys now? When every other community retain their accent and dialect of Tamil, the brahmin dialect is eroding. The panchakachams have almost disappeared. I fail to understand why brahmins alone succumb to pressure? why brahmins alone are timid? Are there chances of reviving the uniquely brahmin characteristics, speach, styles, surnames etc. Why have we ceased to name our children with Iyer or Sastri or Chary as surnames? What would be the consequence of reviving the same practice? What are the hindering and impeding factors?

Last edited:
Because we are the most intelligent Brahmins.........

Revival can not be possible because we are the smartest humans on the Earth and we can not look back.

There are no hindering and impending factors to analyse...Because we know that we are doing right and we are not old fashioned country folks..

After all what we are going to achieve by associating our surnames with our given names?? We are the most logical and practical guys and know where to be focused and what to be achieved..

Ravi,

My grandfather had the surname `Sharma' which I revived with my sons. I think we can have the surname sharma to denote we are from Brahmin community. Sharma is common throughout India and hence migration to north also will create awareness.

All the best

Ravi,

My grandfather had the surname `Sharma' which I revived with my sons. I think we can have the surname sharma to denote we are from Brahmin community. Sharma is common throughout India and hence migration to north also will create awareness.

All the best

Sri RVR ji,

That's really a logical and beneficial idea....

Any clue for Iyengars?

Sri RVR ji,

That's really a logical and beneficial idea....

Any clue for Iyengars?
Ravi

Iyengars can also use Sharma surname. In Chennai, LIFCO publishers family, who are all Iyengars already use Sharma surname.

All the best

Iyengars use 'Chari' to distinguish themselves from others. But, I find many people belonging to other castes by birth but following Sri Vaishnavism out of faith and conviction also keeping this tag, in other states.

its a fallacy to think,that we have moved aways from our roots.everytime when we do sankalpam or when we do pooja at temple,we always quote our religious heritage without fail.there is no need to bring our religious beliefs in public as its a private individual matter today.in fact be secretive of your roots,thats truly sanathana dharma :)

its a fallacy to think,that we have moved aways from our roots.everytime when we do sankalpam or when we do pooja at temple,we always quote our religious heritage without fail.there is no need to bring our religious beliefs in public as its a private individual matter today.in fact be secretive of your roots,thats truly sanathana dharma :)

You got a valid point nachi naga avargale.....But don't we feel that we are hiding ourself from the society, unlike others as noted by Mr.Iyer?

You got a valid point nachi naga avargale.....But don't we feel that we are hiding ourself from the society, unlike others as noted by Mr.Iyer?

the society that i live in today knows me as per their own perception,which maybe true or not true,its all about perspective.

i recall a conversation with an arabic woman of islam faith,wherein we discussed prophet mohammads,n number of wives,to which she defended the prophet by saying,in those ancient era's it was a convention to have the seeds as well as the eggs used,appropriately for the growth of the progenies,so my god is,benevolent,to which i replied quoting shirdi sai baba 'allah malik'.in the pretext of dropping her purse,she kneeled down in front of me,and i used a 'abhaya hastham mudra' to bless her,and tears of joy trickled down her cheeks.god is one for all ,each of us say him differently owing to our conditioning and sense perceptors.

all the jees are brahmin in kolkata,
mukherjee, banerchee, chatterjee, see so many jees...but all eat fish ehehhe..sunkan

all the jees are brahmin in kolkata,
mukherjee, banerchee, chatterjee, see so many jees...but all eat fish ehehhe..sunkan

sunkan

something fishy.why meen to mean about bongs,amadair shonaar lok babu moshaay,:heh: (its a joke,if you understand)

Iyer Surname

My two cents

There is reverse untouchability in Tamil Nadu. I saw an elderly Brahmin man treated very shabbily in Chennai Passport Office by an Asst Passport officer and when he left was abused using the derogatory caste name.

I have come across many tamil brahmins in places other than TN with surname Iyer with out any problems

It is very painful when you migrate to other places - the system of first names and initials we follow contrasts with the system elsewhere and many occasions I am called by my father's names!

A suggestion - at least when you name new borns

1. Use Iyer as a surname

2. Use your gothram as the surname this could be easy for some gothrams e.g. kousik and bharatwaj

My two cents

There is reverse untouchability in Tamil Nadu. I saw an elderly Brahmin man treated very shabbily in Chennai Passport Office by an Asst Passport officer and when he left was abused using the derogatory caste name.

I have come across many tamil brahmins in places other than TN with surname Iyer with out any problems

It is very painful when you migrate to other places - the system of first names and initials we follow contrasts with the system elsewhere and many occasions I am called by my father's names!

1. Use Iyer as a surname

2. Use your gothram as the surname this could be easy for some gothrams e.g. kousik and bharatwaj

In other states Brahmins are treated with respect, held in reverence and are honored. People of other communities would shudder and fear to treat Brahmins shabbily.

Why in Tamil Nadu alone Brahmins are treated with contempt and disrespect? Why in Tamil Nadu alone Brahmins are dishonored, mocked at and ridiculed? Is it because of Ramaswamy Naicker's (unworthy to be called periyar) dravidian movement?

Last edited:
Surname

why cant we continue with the same word IYER . Im not feeling shame to use that.
We are all Iyers and should realize ourselves as such. In a broader context, it is time we had suffixed a surname to our name. Otherwise the enumerators and application mongers will eat our brains out. Suffixing Gotram name will be helpful in 2 ways; the above two will be satisfied and our children will know their gotram without telling them. How about a mass movement on this with a programme of action. Thus you would also know how many 'jaathwallas' flock to you. It will also afford an opportunity to gather a mass for future action.

My two cents

ravi iyer,its an isolated incident that you witnessed.chennaites are good people in majority of cases,but a bad apple do exist here and there.

1. Use Iyer as a surname

you can start sir,i think you already have started :).become the leader and we will try to follow your suggestions,if it works :)

We are all Iyers and should realize ourselves as such. In a broader context, it is time we had suffixed a surname to our name. Otherwise the enumerators and application mongers will eat our brains out. Suffixing Gotram name will be helpful in 2 ways; the above two will be satisfied and our children will know their gotram without telling them. How about a mass movement on this with a programme of action. Thus you would also know how many 'jaathwallas' flock to you. It will also afford an opportunity to gather a mass for future action.

philosophically speaking,there is only kadavul gothram for humanity.

most gothrams are not brahmin jathi,but you seem to have a valid point for discussion.

........ When every other community retain their accent and dialect of Tamil, the brahmin dialect is eroding. The panchakachams have almost disappeared. I fail to understand why brahmins alone succumb to pressure? why brahmins alone are timid? Are there chances of reviving the uniquely brahmin characteristics, speach, styles, surnames etc. Why have we ceased to name our children with Iyer or Sastri or Chary as surnames? What would be the consequence of reviving the same practice? What are the hindering and impeding factors?
The apparent erosion is proof of how much we had to forego, to compete, against oppression. It is also proof of how much we have taken towards the new environment.

Not to be singled out, for the sole reason of being a brahmin, is foremost in the minds of the youth. This generation is all about 'being cool'; and imbibed along with this mindset is the fantastic vision of a trendy, rebellious and highly independent personality.

A more vital factor is that brahmins seldom develop their physique... an intelligent mind in a weak body could lower self-confidence, which in turn would make the mind cunning. And mixed in the myriad lures of the world, the mind is lost for ever...

To be traditional and orthodox is seen as having a narrow mindset, especially when mass propoganda brands casteism as negative discrimination. Brahmins who are engaged in modern-world activities, mostly lack the understanding of the basic ground of our dharma. The traditional societal setup is disintegrating and values are dissolving into nothingness at an exponential rate. It is cut-throat competition; a mad mad world. One has to be a madman to be amongst them.

What place can culture and tradition have in such minds?

Not all is lost though; there are still some who live in agraharams and practice the vedic traditions (am not talking about the vadhyars). There are still those who live in cities and manage to carry on their spiritual practices.

It is a mixed bag now. The only hope that will help preserve our culture is the younger generation, if they realize their duties... Only time can tell.

Regards,

good post sapthajihva.

life itself is a mixed bag.

long before people used to travel in steam engines run railway system,today its all diesel engines and in some places like japan,china,magento based...

in india we still have all...jatka vandi bullock driven technology,digital driven programs...diversity is unity and integrate as one nation,with liberty and justice for all....india is progressing well,thanks to our past present and future political leaders as well as religious leaders...india shines alongwith the rest of the world with one heart beat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back