• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

go-dhanam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my father passed away on july 22nd this year. we need to give go-dharam. What it the appropriate time to give this dhanam.
should it be igiven after 1st year ceremony or during the masikam.
Also, please suggest some suitable places since i dont want to give it to a bhramin who will sell it later or i dont want to buy a cow which is already given by someone as go-dhanam.

Please advice me i live in bangalore and can travel.

HI
there are go shalas many temples in tamil nadu....temples can take care of them....i know some temples....like sri madrudeeshwarar

temple in thiruvanmiyur chennai...they have nice goshaala....just check with them....

Sir,
If you have not given go-dhanam on the 12th day, you can give it on any day thereafter. I know one Ashram where they
maintain the cows sincerely. They would like to give you the cost of the cow and a corpus amount for feeding the cow
thereafter. The interest on the corpus will be utilised for feeding.

If interested, you can contact Yogi Ramsuratkumar Trust, Agrahara collai, Chengam road, Tiruvannamalai, which is
situated on the opposite side of SRi Ramanashramam and Sri Seshadri swamigal ashram.

You may also contact sri. g. kj. seetharaman ( Publisher Your family friend magazine) from 2/346 Agraharam, kalancheri, Thanjavur 613504. Phone: 04374-239330; 239331; 239383; 239993. He is conducting Veda patasalai and is owning agri lands there.

You may also contact sri. g. kj. seetharaman ( Publisher Your family friend magazine) from 2/346 Agraharam, kalancheri, Thanjavur 613504. Phone: 04374-239330; 239331; 239383; 239993. He is conducting Veda patasalai and is owning agri lands there.

My Priest is telling me that you have to give godhaanam in the 6th Month. So that the atma can cross a river with the help of the cow.
This crossing will be done in the 6th Month.

Some people say that its is okay if you give it within a year. I am not so sure.

Please advice me.

Sir,
The priest says that We have to give in the six month. As it will help the soul to cross the river.

Some people say that you can give any day after 12th day within one year.

Please clarify this.

my father passed away on july 22nd this year. we need to give go-dharam. What it the appropriate time to give this dhanam.
should it be igiven after 1st year ceremony or during the masikam.
Also, please suggest some suitable places since i dont want to give it to a bhramin who will sell it later or i dont want to buy a cow which is already given by someone as go-dhanam.

Please advice me i live in bangalore and can travel.

Shri vsr13,

Vast majority of tabra death ceremonies today go on without any actual "Godaanam" and I don't think all those souls are languishing this side of the vaitarani ;) Vaadhyars know whom to "milk" through all such items and he has found you to be one, possibly. Otherwise, people go in for godaanam nowadays only if the death was a durmaranam, death due to unnatural causes. In most cases some cow will be brought and notionally given as daanam to a brahmin and, at the conclusion a higher amount will go to that Brahmanan and a nominal amount to the owner of the cow who will go home with his cow, and present the very same cow next day for another go-daanam! That's the world AFAIK.

sangom,

when my grandmother died, we did go dhaanam. the scenario was just what you described. the owner came, and i (who did all the kriyai) timidly handed over the cow to the priest, who handed it back to the owner. and cash exchanged hands. which was several years ago.

of more recent, for my own parents' ceremonies, in varanasi, even new garments were not given to the needy brahmins. the ganapadigal, took all my cash, and at the appropriate moment, mrs ganapadigal arrived with the said saris and veshtis, which were circulated from her to her hubby to me to the poor back to mrs ganapadigal back to bureau.

i have written about it in detail in this forum long ago.

i realize that death is perhaps the most defining incident that those who left behind feel strongly about ensuring what they believe as 'proper' to do. somebody told me, not to worry if the ganapadigal abused his duties entrusted to him, but our hands and hearts are clear, that we did the 'right' thing.

at one point i agreed, but now i am not so sure. with this knowledge, i knew, that my 'innocence' was gone. i was a witness to this corruption of a ritual, something so feeling and sacred for me, for it concerned my mother and father. how can i reconcile this to my own conscience?

i was only glad, that i did not bring my eldest son, who wanted to witness this. i would have had a tough time explaining the dhanam circus that i witnessed. my sister, who was with me, ultimately, at the end, burst out in anger, grief at the sight this callousness.

having complained, as usual, i do not know of any alternatives. i feel damned, if i do and damned if i dont do :(

i checked out the arya samaj website. they have prescriptions for weddings, but none for death.

Sinhachalam

i would be equally careful about sending a cow to a temple. Sinhachalam is not the only place where this happens. i dont know if we just give a cow to satisfy our conscience and forget about what goes on afterwards. so much emotion is tied to the dhanam itself, and so much to the cow. it may be better to avoid this altogether. but then faith intervenes.

tough decisions and no easy way, when one starts thinking through, for such things.

my empathies and sincerest condolences to vsr.

ps... come to think of it, i think the ganapadigal in varanasi, also performed the cow circus. i was so distraught at the whole arrangement for the 6 days, it probably escaped me. i remember my uncle, on whose recommendation we went, announcing later, that all the functions were performed 100% vedic style! and my parents are lucky. what luck, i still dont know.

Last edited:
hi
i did go dhanam in varanasi too....i did for my father...but question comes faith?....i did....what i have to do...if i know

the whole truth...its tough to digest....its like five star restaurant food...the food is fine in the table..but when we visit kitchen...

we may not like to eat...so they put warning in kitchen...ONLY EMPLOYEES ARE ALLOWED...like this our faith too...

we say sometimes......ரிஷி மூலம் நதி மூலம் பார்க்க கூடாது....some times they really MILKING us....

I have decided to give dhanam between 6th month masikam and next masikam. Atlast i found someone who will not sell the cow quickly.
The 6th masikam is 15th of this month.

It is between 15th Jan of this month and 19th Jan. Do i need to find out which is the most appropriate day for giving dhanam. please suggest.
Can anyone advice me on this please. Do i need to see the horoscope. He died on a chathurthy.

thank you for your time.

Go Dhanam

sangom,

when my grandmother died, we did go dhaanam. the scenario was just what you described. the owner came, and i (who did all the kriyai) timidly handed over the cow to the priest, who handed it back to the owner. and cash exchanged hands. which was several years ago.

of more recent, for my own parents' ceremonies, in varanasi, even new garments were not given to the needy brahmins. the ganapadigal, took all my cash, and at the appropriate moment, mrs ganapadigal arrived with the said saris and veshtis, which were circulated from her to her hubby to me to the poor back to mrs ganapadigal back to bureau.

i have written about it in detail in this forum long ago.

i realize that death is perhaps the most defining incident that those who left behind feel strongly about ensuring what they believe as 'proper' to do. somebody told me, not to worry if the ganapadigal abused his duties entrusted to him, but our hands and hearts are clear, that we did the 'right' thing.

at one point i agreed, but now i am not so sure. with this knowledge, i knew, that my 'innocence' was gone. i was a witness to this corruption of a ritual, something so feeling and sacred for me, for it concerned my mother and father. how can i reconcile this to my own conscience?

i was only glad, that i did not bring my eldest son, who wanted to witness this. i would have had a tough time explaining the dhanam circus that i witnessed. my sister, who was with me, ultimately, at the end, burst out in anger, grief at the sight this callousness.

having complained, as usual, i do not know of any alternatives. i feel damned, if i do and damned if i dont do :(

i checked out the arya samaj website. they have prescriptions for weddings, but none for death.

i would be equally careful about sending a cow to a temple. Sinhachalam is not the only place where this happens. i dont know if we just give a cow to satisfy our conscience and forget about what goes on afterwards. so much emotion is tied to the dhanam itself, and so much to the cow. it may be better to avoid this altogether. but then faith intervenes.

tough decisions and no easy way, when one starts thinking through, for such things.

my empathies and sincerest condolences to vsr.

ps... come to think of it, i think the ganapadigal in varanasi, also performed the cow circus. i was so distraught at the whole arrangement for the 6 days, it probably escaped me. i remember my uncle, on whose recommendation we went, announcing later, that all the functions were performed 100% vedic style! and my parents are lucky. what luck, i still dont know.

Dear All,
It is really satisfying to see many of us wanting to perform Pithru karmas sincerely. Regarding Go dhanam, what was described above seem to be the order, generally, we need not be unduly perturbed. Those doing the karmas with shraddha are granted the result by the Almighty, who is after all the Phala Dhatha. He knows every thing.
Moreover, in our sequence of karmas itself there are inbuilt features which take care of any deficiencies. Sri Krishna smarana is said to make our karma sampoornam (complete). At the end of all karmas, the Sastrigal ask us to tell the mantra, "Mantra heenam, Kriya heenam,....sri Krishna anusmaranam param,Sri Krishna Krishna Krishna. So all that we have to do is to remember Sri Krishna while doing such karmas, and the karma is considered as complete. It is also worth remembering that for all karmas and anushtanams, we start with the sankalpa that, I am doing this for the satisfaction (Preethi) of Sri Parameswara, and end with offering the result thereof to Sri krishna (Kayena vacha.......Narayanayethi samarpayami) This if we do by understanding the true spirit then no karma done by us will ever go waste.

Regards,
R.Venkata Krishnan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back