• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

effectiveness of mantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
எல்லோருக்கும் எனது வணக்கங்கள்

இதோ எனது முதல் பதிவு
when will be the mantra effective

short and simple answer : Only after proper initiation

சச்சிதானந்தா சிவ அபிநவ நரசிம்ஹா பாரதி சுவாமிகள் இதை பற்றி விளக்கிரிக்கிறார்
ஒரு முறை ஒரு மனிதர் சுவாமிகளிடம் கேட்டார்
மனிதர் : என் மந்திரங்களை குரு மூலமாக கற்க வேண்டும்
சுவாமிகள் : குரு மூலமா கற்றால் மட்டுமே அது சித்திக்கும் இல்லையென்றால் அது வெறும் ஓலி மட்டுமே
மனிதர்:இதற்க்கு எடுத்துகாட்டு சொல்ல முடியுமா
சுவாமிகள்:ஒரு கதை கூற தொடங்கினர்
கதை: ஒரு முறை, ஒரு அரசபையில் ராஜா மந்திரிடம் கேட்டார் உங்களுடைய இந்த பிரம்மா தேஜசின் கரணம் என்ன ?
அதற்க்கு மந்திரி ராஜா நான் தினமும் தவறாமல் காயத்திரியை உபசிப்பவன். அந்த தேவியின் கருணைதான் இதற்க்கு கரணம் என்று கூறினார்
உடனே ராஜா எனக்கு அதை போதிக்க வேண்டும் என்று சொன்னார். மந்திரியோ மறுத்து விட்டார்
ராஜா உடனே தனது அரண்மனையில் உள்ள பண்டிதர்களை கூபிட்டு தனக்கு காயத்திரியை உபதேசிக்கும்மாறு கேட்டார். பண்டிதர்களோ மறுத்துவிட்டனர் .
உடனே ராஜா தேடி திரிந்து தனது அரண்மனை சமயல் செய்பவர் அந்தணர் என்று தெரிந்தது கொண்டார். அவரிடம் தனது ராஜா தந்திரத்தால் காயத்திரி மந்திரத்தை கட்ட்ருகொண்டர்.
மறு நாள் மந்திரி இடம் நான் காயத்திரி உபதேசம் பெட்ட்ருவிட்டேன் என்று கோரினார்.
உடனே மந்திரி அதற்க்கு வாய்பேயில்லை என்றார் . ராஜா சபாயில் அதனை பேருக்கு முன்னால் அந்த மந்திரத்தை சொன்னார். மந்திரியோ இது காயத்திரி மந்திரமே அல்ல என்றார்
உடனே ராஜா அந்த சமையல் செய்யும் அந்தணர் இடம் சென்று என்னை ஏமாற்றி விட்டாய் என்று அவரை துன்புறுத்தி மறுபடியும் அதை சொல்ல சொன்னார். அந்தனரோ அதே மந்திரத்தை திரும்பவும் சொன்னார்.
மறு நாள் ராஜா மந்திரிடம் காயத்திரி மந்திரம் இது தான் என்று சொல்லி நீங்கள் கூறியது தவறு என்றார்
உடனே மந்திரி இவருக்கு இன்னும் விளங்கவில்லை என்று உணர்ந்தார். மந்திரி காவலர்களி பார்த்து ராஜாவின் கன்னத்தில் ஒரு அரை விடும் படி சொன்னார். உடனே ராஜாவுக்கு ஒன்றும் விளங்கவில்லை.மந்திரி திரும்பவும் ராஜாவின் கன்னத்தில் ஒரு அரை விடும் படி சொன்னார். இதை கேட்ட ராஜா மந்திரிக்கு பித்து பிடித்துவிட்டது என்று தவராக புரிந்து கொண்டார். உடனே ராஜா மந்திரியின் கன்னத்தில் ஒரு அரை கொடுக்கும் படி காவலர்களி பார்த்து சொன்னார். சொன்ன மறு கணம் காவலர்கள் மந்திரியின் கன்னத்தில் ஒரு அரை கொடுத்தனர். மந்திரி புன்னகைத்தார். ராஜா இப்போது புரிந்ததா இதே வார்த்தைதான் நான் கூறினேன் எந்த விளைவும் ஏற்படவில்லை,நீங்கள் சொன்னதும் அந்த வார்த்தைக்கு விளைவை பாருங்கள்.

சுவாமிகள்: இப்போது புரிந்ததா, மந்திரங்கள் முறையாக கற்றல் வேண்டும் குருவிடம் இருந்து இல்லையேல் அது வெறும் சப்த ஒலிகள் தான்.
மனிதர்: சுவாமிகள் என்னை ஆசிர்வதிக்க வேண்டும் என்று விடைபெட்ட்று கொண்டார்

the example make me to think that some words can be uttered only by certain people. it does not explain why a guru is necessary.or can we take it as only a guru knows which one to be taught to whom ?
யாருக்கு எந்த மந்த்ரம் தேவை என்பதை குருதான் அறிவாரோ ?

Namaskarams to Mamas, Mamis Akkas & Annas of this form. I am Prof. Dr.Rajan Iyer (MD,FF.Hom) I am born and brought up in Gujarat and I dont know to read/ write Tamil/Malayalam.I am doing research on Scope of Ragas and Mantras as Homeopathic Remedies. I joined to make friends and learn more about mantra chanting, Mantra Siddhi and the benefits from experts in the community.
Hence I request community members to translate this post into English and send it to 1. [email protected] 2. [email protected] so that I can interact with the thread -starter and help me to understand mantra chanting better). Hope you will Respond soon. Regards, Prof. Dr.Rajan Iyer

*(I hope mods won't object if I put my e.mail ids in the post.)

*I will be happy if I can get various rare mantras/slokas links from all here (pdf,mp3 videos etc.)

the example make me to think that some words can be uttered only by certain people. it does not explain why a guru is necessary.or can we take it as only a guru knows which one to be taught to whom ?
யாருக்கு எந்த மந்த்ரம் தேவை என்பதை குருதான் அறிவாரோ ?
ஆம் நீங்கள் சொல்வது சரி தான். குரு தன சிஷ்யர்களுக்கு எந்த மந்திரம் உபதேசம் செய்யலாம் என்று அறிவர்
ஒரு நிகழ்வை நான் பகிரிந்து கொள்கிறேன்
One gentleman was frequently visiting the pratyangira temple in chennai. slowly this gentleman bought some books, cd's and started chanting the moola and mala mantra of this deity. Finally this gentleman has bought a small idol of this deity and started doing pooja. This gentleman has started facing problem slowly because of chanting these mantras improperly. So guru will test the shishya's ability and do the upadesam of the mantra. The mantras should be pronounced with proper akshara suddhi. Then the benefits that the upasaka attains are unimaginable.

Thanks
C.R.Bala

Is it true that Ganapathi homam should be done before sun rise? Many sastrigal says it is not necessary. It is not possible for me to get a sastrigal for doing tharpanam every amavasa and hence I do it from books and I try to pronounce in the same way my sastrigal used to pronounce. I have the opinion that Our pithrus will not mind if there is some mistake here and there and the main purpose of tharpanam is to provide them food and water (ell with water).

I do all the festivals like varalakshmi viratham, pillayar chathurthi etc. by reading from the books. What ever papams I create by wrong chantings of mantras during those festivals, I feel can be wiped of while doing avani avittam and kamokarisha japam. I feel pure mind and interest to celebrate festivals are more important than anything else.

Dear Sir
It is not necessary, perhaps as per vedic sruti the pratyaksha god is sun. So from the moment sun rises till the time sun sets we have lots of niyamas and nitya karma anustana to be observed. You can refer vaidyanatha deekshithiyam for reference.
Let me make some points clear to do a homam the below procedures needs to be followed
1) utensils with iron should not be used. Permitted are pittalai/the ones made of sand/sliver/thamiram. Even steel utensils needs to be avoided because pitrus will move far away when they see iron utensils. that was the reason. I don't know about plastics boxes to be used or not. In the recent times lots of sastrigal in the vaidika line use plastic utensils since there is nothing told about plastics in smriti.

2) Agnimukham should be performed before starting any homam as per their sutra(apastama/baudhayana) and punyahavachanam kalasa sthapana
3) Vichinna agni sandana for the grihasta for the one who did not perform nitya aupasana.
3) Homam (ganapati homam)
4) Jayadi homam to complete the homam (either as per apastama/baudhayana)

For amavasya tarpana you really don't need sastrigal. Only once you can ask the sastrigal to check whether you are making any akshara pronounciation correct or not. rest you can do it on your own on every amavasya. before that one has to do brahma yagna daily. One suggestion from my side, pls go and meet your sastrigal and read out the amavasya tharpana mantras in front of him and check the akshara pronounciation then try to practice these things in a temple for one week or ten days continously, since you are not suppose to tell these amavasaya pitru tarpana in your house if it is not amavasya. Then once you are fluent then no problems at all.

I often hear this thing from many people that whatever papa we make if we do some japa it will be wiped of. Let's understand one thing clear once a person do the japa he utimately realise his self brahman and he will not do papa further.
Let's speak scientifically, when a person chants some mantra there will be some vibrations in our nadi. This is literally proved. So when we mispronounce the mantras the ultimate benefits is not obtained.

We are not satyavrata who lead his life in satya and was chanting ai, ai, ai Later ambikai was happy in his bhakti and his satya life she added 'm' to ai finally he started chanting aim aim aim. So we are not satyavrata, that too in kali-yuga it is not possible. let's pray lord uma maheswara, he will direct us to right person.

thanks
c.r.bala

hope this is not just a crafty word play. but any sloka is good. nothing is best in what a human does or preaches. if you do something after initiation and properly its great. if you can walk in a park and chant few words its great. its not the best though

S,thr r so many mantras which cures different disease....maine khud try bhi kiya hai n result bhi paya hai.....mantras hv great role in curing our disease.......i hv experienced it myself...n got a positive result too.....

Last edited:
hope this is not just a crafty word play. but any sloka is good. nothing is best in what a human does or preaches. if you do something after initiation and properly its great. if you can walk in a park and chant few words its great. its not the best though

Dear Sandhyav
There is no problem in chanting the sloka when you are walking in a park, etc., But there are some niyamas required for chanting the mantras, here what I mean is 1) Moola Mantra, 2) Maala Mantra, 3) Bijakshara mantra and 4) Vedic Mantras.

Thanks
C.R.Bala

Very tru bala sir, u r correct....thr r niyams,but somtimes niyams r not able to follow....so atleast by walking ,travelling in bus, or in som gatherings v can chant any mantras....somthing is better than nothing.....naam japa has its own impact.....regards**gayathri

Chanting "naama" has no specific niyamas and only thing required is pure heart but when it comes to Chanting "Mantras" rules come in to play and we need to follow it properly .
So to start with better to chant naamas like Rama ,Rama or Siva ,Siva , Krishna ,Krishna etc and that will itself take you to the next level of taking you to a Guru for proper Mantra initiation if you become eligible .

Thanks bala ( i guess it is Balasubramanian ) for quoting my words.
Cognitive analysis in psychotherapy states clearly,an amateur example for someone new, who wants to let us say convert to islam, THE NEW RULES, or life-style or culture or art or whatever u may call -- is exactly what provokes anxiety. For example, i chant few mantras daily in my own way. and suddenly u say

दधिक्राव्ण्णो अकारिषं जिष्णोरश्वस्य वाजिनः ।
सुरभि नो मुखाकरत्प्रण आयुँषि तारिषत् ॥

dadhikrAvNNo akAriShaM jiShNorashvasya vAjinaH |
surabhi no mukhAkaratpraNa Ayu~MShi tAriShat ||

has got an original meaning and then a distorted meaning it will provoke anxiety. It is a nice sanskrit read for me. PERIOD.

As krishna very simply states just above me, the scientific effect of mantra is to divert your attention from endless alaigal of thoughts and just focus on few simple words like rama rama hare hare. if it works for him then he practiced it in his OWN WAY.

Last edited:
Thanks bala ( i guess it is Balasubramanian ) for quoting my words.
Cognitive analysis in psychotherapy states clearly,an amateur example for someone new, who wants to let us say convert to islam, THE NEW RULES, or life-style or culture or art or whatever u may call -- is exactly what provokes anxiety. For example, i chant few mantras daily in my own way. and suddenly u say

दधिक्राव्ण्णो अकारिषं जिष्णोरश्वस्य वाजिनः ।
सुरभि नो मुखाकरत्प्रण आयुँषि तारिषत् ॥

dadhikrAvNNo akAriShaM jiShNorashvasya vAjinaH |
surabhi no mukhAkaratpraNa Ayu~MShi tAriShat ||

has got an original meaning and then a distorted meaning it will provoke anxiety. It is a nice sanskrit read for me. PERIOD.

As krishna very simply states just above me, the scientific effect of mantra is to divert your attention from endless alaigal of thoughts and just focus on few simple words like rama rama hare hare. if it works for him then he practiced it in his OWN WAY.

Dear Sandhyav

Let me make my point very clear. There are no niyamas for chanting the bhagavan namas. But as I told very clearly there are some niyamas needs to be followed while chanting mantras. Let me quote one example here. Nowadays everybody wants to chant Lalita sahasranama, But when you approach a priest in shankara mutt or singeri mutt and ask them to teach you Lalitha sahasranama, they will deny it. since to learn Lalitha Sahasranama you must be initiated to panchadashi mantras. if you need more deatils please to refer the poorvabhaga of lalitha sahasranama, where bhagavan hyagriva tells the niyama for chanting the lalitha sahasranama. Even in agastya samhita there are some niyamas suggested for a person to chant Sri Rama tharaka mantra which will help him to realise chaturpurushartha (dharma,artha,kama and moksha).

Thanks
C.R.Bala

Is it not true the real bhakthi or interest a person has in learning some mantras will protect him evn if he pronounces some words wrongly?What is important the bhakthi or the words?

No doubt Bhakthi is very much essential. However, it is very important to follow
certain rituals mentioned in the vedic scriptures for mantra chanting. A person
performing mantra chanting should know the correct pronunciation of the words
used in the mantra to derive its benefits. Besides it is absolutely necessary to
maintain your heart and mind calm while chanting the mantra. In other words,
a person needs to be totally dedicated and devoted while chanting the mantras.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

சுவாமிகள்: இப்போது புரிந்ததா, மந்திரங்கள் முறையாக கற்றல் வேண்டும் குருவிடம் இருந்து இல்லையேல் அது வெறும் சப்த ஒலிகள் தான்.
மனிதர்: சுவாமிகள் என்னை ஆசிர்வதிக்க வேண்டும் என்று விடைபெட்ட்று கொண்டார்original thread.

Please kindly see post on the tamil meaning of sanskrit mantras orignally threaded by me, sir and offer your remarks sir. I also say that mere chanting of mantras would not be enough, without knowing the meaning of the same

jraju

Namaskaram! I am a new member to this forum. While going through Shri Appayya Dikshitar's biography, there were references to books authored by this great Saivite Saint, which includes Sivarchaka Chandrika. While going through the earlier messages (some time in 2010), you had indicated that this text is available with you. Will you be kind enough to favour me with this text? I am a Bangalore resident and could be reached through email: [email protected] Hare KRishna.

Sri Appayya Dikshitar's Stotras are really very useful and effective. For e.g. Margabandhu Stotram
composed by him, if chanted before proceeding on any journey, it wards off the evils or dangers,
if any. He has many works based on advaita. His approach towards Lord Shiva and Vishnu as
one and the same, for e.g. Hari Hara Stuti, Varadaraja Stavam. He always admires Vedanta Desikan.
He envelops all the points related to Dvaita, Vishisdadvaita, Sivadvaita and Advaita.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

but it is better to improve upon the way these things are done without offering any excuse/s. We must remember how Ekalwaya in Mahabaratha learned archery skill in the forest even to excel Archuna.

Ordinary human tendency is to do anything or have it done perfectly. Perfection is near impossible. Even in reciting slokas or perform pujas an average man would be careful not to make mistakes knowingly. It must also be in the individual to do so. All the same if somebody patters slokas in sincerity but makes mistakes in spelling or accenting unknowingly, god hears his mind and edits his prayers with a smile. One must do things in a better way as perfectly as possible. But it is our duty that we do not alienate the less informed from our stream as we are already thinning out.

I totally agree with you as proper accent and sound is very important.
From the vedic age, chanting of mantra has been given importance, because
it helps in deepening the connection with the divine power. It also enables in
concentration while meditation is practiced. It reduces stress and and paves
way to improve the personal effectiveness besides it facilitates spiritual development.

Balasubramanian

When a mantra is chanted in rhythmic tone with ups and downs, they create a melodious effect in the body . This effect can be defined as the Neuro-linguistic effect. The Neuro- linguistic effect will be possible even if you do not know the meaning of the mantra. Hence knowing the meaning of every mantra is not compulsory.

Learn to chant mantras first and then learn the meanings later just like a baby
speaks the words without knowing their meanings and then understanding
their meanings

At the same time if you know the meaning it has got an additional effect which is known as Neuro-linguistic (NLE) + Psycholinguistic effect (PLE). Lot of Research studies have been carried out by many and important results derived by one of the famous professors Dr. T. Temple Tutler, of the Cleveland University, USA on these effects are remarkable. The NLE and PLE effects are due to the production and spreading of curative chemicals in the brain. These curative chemicals give smoothening and curing effect in the body. Thus mantra chanting is no way a superstition. It can also be directly called as music therapy or mantra therapy in modern words.

All are not proficient in reciting Mantras in Sanskrit; they can choose to listen to Mantras recited by others.

There are times when we are compelled to recite Mantras Like in Marriages, Seemandham, or even home Pujas.

It is advised to recite this at the end of the Puja or function

Mantra Heenam, Kriya Heenam, Bhakti Heenam Mahesvaree
Yat Poojitam Mayaa Deva, Pari Poornam Tadastu Te.

Oh God, I am weak in mantra,
Oh God, i am weak in action and
oh God, i am weak in devotion;
Yet, I know my humble attempt is accepted by Thy Grace.

Mantra heenam kriya heenam bhakti heenam Sureshwara,
Yad pujitam maya deva paripoornam tadastu te,
Aparaadha sahasraani kriyante hanisham maya,
Dasyoham iti mam matwa,
Kshamaswa..

we prostrate ourselves full length on the floor with this supplication

I beg of you to make this puja of mine perfect
Despite the mistakes I may have made in the chanting of the mantras,
And the accompanying actions.
Consider me as thy slave and forgive me Oh God.

Akashaath patitam thoyam, yada gachati saagaraath,
Sarva deva namaskaaram Keshavam pratigachati

Just as all the water that falls from the sky reaches the ocean,
So prostrations to any god will reach the Supreme.

Avahanam na janaami, na janaami visarjanam,
Puja vidhim na janaami....

I have no idea how to conduct a puja, how to invoke you or to revoke you into myself. Pray forgive me for all this and make this puja perfect.

Benefits of Mantra Chanting
culture.religion.advaita - Re: chanting knowing the meaning whether necessary - msg#00195 - Recent Discussion OSDir.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back