• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Bhagavad Gita - Excellent Book

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bhagavad Gita As It is

Hello All,
Very excellent edition of Bhgavad Gita I came across is
"Bhagavad Gita As It is " By Srila prabhupada.
Written in simple english with very good and deep explanation of the philosophy.And surprisingly the book is pocket size and very handy and can be carried even during travel.

Regards,
Bala:yield:

Bhagavat Gita As It is

Hello All,
Very excellent edition of Bhgavad Gita I came across is
"Bhagavad Gita As It is " By Srila prabhupada.
Written in simple english with very good and deep explanation of the philosophy.And surprisingly the book is pocket size and very handy and can be carried even during travel.

Regards,
Bala:yield:
Dear Mr.Bala,

Canyou please let me know where this book is available in and around Chennai so that I can buy the same.

P.C.S.IYER

Dear Mr.Bala,

Canyou please let me know where this book is available in and around Chennai so that I can buy the same.

P.C.S.IYER

here is a reference to prabhupada in wikipedia

A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

actually, they are known in the west as hare krishnas. they have a krishna temple in toronto, an old church. what impressed me was that how clean it was. we could eat off the floor.

incidentally, they venerate prabhupada, almost as much as krishna.

their books are excellent, because most of them are written for lay westerners and assume that you know nothing of hinduism. almost as good as chinmaya mission books.

they also have a free bhojan daily. many of the harekrishnas are whites. they have a temple in mumbai, which i have visited.

Hare Krishna Temple (Toronto) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

people find these folks sometimes too eager to push their philosphies. yesterday in very bitter minus 25 degree celsius cold, their bhajan group, all whites, at 1 pm in the afternoon, was singing out bhajans with dholak etc, right outside one of our main shopping centres. they are in the company of islamist, evangelical christians in that nothing appears to stop these folks from peddling their faith. :)

actually they are building a temple in chennai

http://www.iskconchennai.com/

you should be able to get the book there. best wishes.

Please furnish publishers name and price

All the best

Sri.RVR sir,

I bought that book years back at the end of Ranganathan St (not the train station end; other end) at T.Nagar. If anybody walks to Thirumala would not have missed the giant Maruthi statue (unless it is moved); Just past the statue there used to be a small restaurant run by Hare Krishnas; we can get the book there; we can get the book at thirumala... there will be many more places.

The book is published by 'ISCON' (International Krishna Consciousness). The book is priced rather cheap & the price is subsidised.

Cheers!

very right sri kunjuppu >>> your opinions & observations about Srila Prabhupada.
Here again in bangalore this movement is intense and Srila Prabhupada's devotees can be seen selling books in day Trains.
regards

Dear All,

I also have found it handy but keep an open mind on some parts of commentary where Non Dualism(Advaitam) is not always projected in the best of light.
Also Chapter 2 Stanza 47 is interprated slightly differently from the usual.
Otherwise it a good book.

Dear All,

I also have found it handy but keep an open mind on some parts of commentary where Non Dualism(Advaitam) is not always projected in the best of light.
hi renuka ji
you are right... i have 3 copies of Bhagavad as it is...a small size/medium/little bigger.. i read many times....but there are
always quoted other devatas are demi gods...keep open minded..
i like hare krishna bhakthi/devotion...but not their entire theories...
its trying to establish in a different way....but surprise part
of this book ..its made in china...available in USA....very nice
papaer with beautiful illustrations...

regards
tbs

hi renuka ji
you are right... i have 3 copies of Bhagavad as it is...a small size/medium/little bigger.. i read many times....but there are
always quoted other devatas are demi gods...keep open minded..
i like hare krishna bhakthi/devotion...but not their entire theories...
its trying to establish in a different way....but surprise part
of this book ..its made in china...available in USA....very nice
papaer with beautiful illustrations...

regards
tbs

Dear TBS ji,
thanks for response...
But I have to agree that the Illustrations(pictures) of Books and Calendars printed by ISKON are really out of this world in terms of beauty.

renu

Dear All,

Sow.Sri.Renuka,

Srila Prabhupada was a Srivaishnava who was a staunch follower of 'Vishistatdwaitham'. He was critical about Sri.Adi shankara. Interestingly enough, he had a favourable view about 'shankyam'. In his purports he expressed his views. I enjoyed some of his purports; really saw him clutching straw in some of the purports. But then again, who is perfect? Nobody, in my opinion. (But I admire him immensely as a person who migrated to USA at the age of 65 years and started ISKON out of nothing).

Cheers!

..... Srila Prabhupada was a Srivaishnava who was a staunch follower of 'Vishistatdwaitham'.

Dear Raghy, I think he was Gaudia Vaishnava espousing bedha-abhedha vada. The Gaudias do respect Bhagavat Ramanuja for his Vaishnavam, but they think he was wrong with his Visishtadvaitam.

Cheers!

re

Sow.Sri.Renuka,

Srila Prabhupada was a Srivaishnava who was a staunch follower of 'Vishistatdwaitham'. He was critical about Sri.Adi shankara. Interestingly enough, he had a favourable view about 'shankyam'. In his purports he expressed his views. I enjoyed some of his purports; really saw him clutching straw in some of the purports. But then again, who is perfect? Nobody, in my opinion. (But I admire him immensely as a person who migrated to USA at the age of 65 years and started ISKON out of nothing).

Cheers!

Achintya-Bheda-Abheda सचेत तत् त्वम् असि (acintya bhedābheda in IAST) is a school of Vedanta representing the philosophy of inconceivable one-ness and difference,[1] in relation to the power creation and creator, (Krishna), svayam bhagavan.[2][3] and also between God and his energies[4] within the Gaudiya Vaishnava religious tradition. In Sanskrit achintya means 'inconceivable',[1] bheda translates as 'difference', and abheda translates as 'one-ness'. It is believed that this philosophy was taught by the movement's theological founder Chaitanya Mahaprabhu[5](1486 - 1534) and differentiates the Gaudiya tradition from the other Vaishnava Sampradayas. It can be best understood as integral monism, as a position between polar opposites of absolute monism of Advaita, and the dualist monism of Dvaita.

Achintya Bheda Abheda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Srila Prabhupada,a great Parama-Acharya of divinity.Having visited Mayapur,West Bengal,India..the bhakthi movement of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu reverberates even today.

nachi naga.

Dear Raghy, I think he was Gaudia Vaishnava espousing bedha-abhedha vada. The Gaudias do respect Bhagavat Ramanuja for his Vaishnavam, but they think he was wrong with his Visishtadvaitam.

Cheers!

Dear Sri.Nara,

Greetings. I was aware Srila Bakthivedanta Prabhupada was a Gaudia Vaishnava. I do not know much about bedha-abedha vada. We as the family used to go to Hare Krsna temple often. We used to have discussions with the chief guru in Brisbane. From his words, the devotees are free to follow whatever philosophy may be comfortable for them; how ever, there can be no compromise in the faith that Sri Krsna is the supreme. I was talking about Vaishnava movement by Bhagavat Ramanuja; I was given a book about Sri.Ramnuja's life history, written by a Hare Krsna devotee. In my opinion, they are following a kind of Saranagathy to Sri Krsna. That was the way I understood about Hare Krsnas. I must admit, I was envious of them; absolutely no caste difference.Every one does everthing. That community has a lot of plus points along with some practical minus points too.

Thank you for making me aware of bedha-abedha vada. Something to learn when I find some time.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back