• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Some FAQs on Mahalayam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mahalaya Paksha:
Mahalaya paksha, which is also known as 'pitru paksha' is very great and one should not think of skipping it on any count. It is said in Sastras that this paskha has immense values and gives satisfaction to the pitrus.

During the paksha the souls of the pitrus will descend to earth in the form of spirits and will be present around their current biological descendants to see and bless them. Hence nitya tarpana is highly recommended if possible.

This Nandana year, the Mahalaya Paksha starts from Sept 30, 2012.

How to observe?
But, of course, Mahaalaya paksha has some lenience and alternatives, unlike Pratyabdhika sraaddha. No dosham will occur if one opts for some permitted alternatives here. No one need to worry on this count. Paarvana Vidhanam, ie with Homam, is not mandatory here; and it is also observed in parts of our Tamilnadu like North Arcot some people perform only tarpanam, not even hiranya, in this Paksha; it is their desacharam.

Hiranya Sraaddha:
In general, I recommend doing this Mahalayam as hiranya rupam with five (or six as the case may be) Brahmanaas which involves the following:

Mandatory:
1. Offering Rice, Dhal and Plantain (Banana)
2. Offering Thulasi, Chandanam etc
3. Offering Sambhavanai

Optional:
1. Vastram
2. Bhojanam

At the end of this Hiranya Rupa Sraaddha, there will be a mandatory tarpanam also.

Nitya tarpanam:
Of course, to whomever it is possible and convenient, they can do nitya tarpanam during all the days of this pitru paksha in addition to observing one hiranya sraaddha on any convenient day. Those who wish to to this nitya tarpanam, better consult their vadhyar for exact procedures and sankalpams. Of course they can consult me also in person-not through net or email.

Karunika pitrus:

This Hiranya rupa Sraaddha also has tarpanam as part of it in which one can offer tarpanam for Karunika pitrus also in addition to his own pitrus. Karunika pitrus means, one can do tarpanam not necessarily for his own pitrus alone. Only in this paksha, one can do tarpanam for other persons like Younger brother of father, Elder brother of father, their wives, Brothers (both younger and elder), sons, father's sister, sisters, their sons, wife, in-laws, sister's husband, daughter-in-law, Guru, Boss (yajamaanan), friends etc.

Observing deeksha:
Whatever may be the format one chooses, he has to observe the niyamas/deeksha prescribed throughout the Paksha. Then what it is meant by deeksha? The karta should be in control of himself during the paksha.

Control implies eating only at home, and not eating outside except at a brother's place or in his maternal uncle's or in-law' place. Shaving, having an oil-bath and conjugation are to be avoided.

Annarupa Sraaddha (Parvana vidhanam) - at least once.
This Annarupa Sraaddha, though involves a lot of preparations, elaborate procedures and monetary aspects, is highly recommended. One can think of performing it at least once in a life time during this Mahalaya Paksha. Your Vadhyar would able to guide you in this.

On which day?
During the Mahalaya paksha one can perform the sraaddha on any convenient day, not necessarily on the day of the so called his father's thidhi

In the lighter vein, I may say in cities like Chennai people consider Sundays as 'punya kaalam' and insist performing the hiranya sraaddha on Sundays - it is understandable as many of them are employed at different distant locations and relatively free on Sundays.

Any particular days:
However, some days are special and more powerful for performing sraaddha during this fortnight. Those days are Maha Bharani, Gajachaaya (thrayodasi), Madhyashtami. In addition to these, Vyatheepadham and Dwadasi days are also considered great.

Any particular day not recommended?
Yes. On the day of Chathurdasi thidhi, sraaddha is performed only for those who had dur-maranam. Hence all others to avoid doing Sraaddha on this day.

All sons together.
Though nothing prevents sons joining together on this day. However it is considered better if the sons of a deceased father are living apart, each son has to perform individually.

A suggestion:
On a personal note, I may suggest that for whomever it is convenient and affordable they can have Brahmana Bhojanam arranged as part of hiranya sraaddha. This can be carried out on any convenient day during this pitru paksha. Here offering vastram also is recommended.

Namaskarams sir ,You have started the OP, and given the valuable informations on the right time .Thanks for sharing with us -TAM-BRAHMINS.I hope many will get benefited and able to perform their duties. once again thanks .

Namaskarams sir ,You have started the OP, and given the valuable informations on the right time .Thanks for sharing with us -TAM-BRAHMINS.I hope many will get benefited and able to perform their duties. once again thanks .

Thanks for the comments you made on my posting on this pitru paksha.

Sarma Sastrigal

I have a question to ask. In Singapore there is no daily tharpanam in temples for Pitru Paksha period.Since I am a lady and non- bramin, I do not know how to do daily tharpanam. In this case can I do Pitru Tharpanam on Mahalaya Ammavasai day alone? Please advice me.

Thanks you

Thanks Sarma Sastrigal for posting this wonderful write up on Mahlaya Tarpanam .I do regularly Monthly Tarpanam as well as Mahalaya Tarpanam but but these information has added more strength and clarity to what I do .
Keep posting such good articles here .

Thanks Sarma Sastrigal for posting this wonderful write up on Mahlaya Tarpanam .I do regularly Monthly Tarpanam as well as Mahalaya Tarpanam but but these information has added more strength and clarity to what I do .
Keep posting such good articles here .

Thank you for your comments. God bless you all.
By the by, have you seen my book 'The Great Hindu Tradition' which has an insight into sastras, rituals and heritage?

Sarma Sastrigal

Thank you for your comments. God bless you all.
By the by, have you seen my book 'The Great Hindu Tradition' which has an insight into sastras, rituals and heritage?

Sarma Sastrigal

Thank you Sarma Sastrigal Ji

Noted your book and will get the same .
Just a query : You have mentioned Dhal in the list of offering . Which Dal should be given - Pasi Paruppu or Kadalai Paruppu ?

Could you kindly tell me, from where the book can be bought. My Tel No.26573830.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

The book in English titled 'THE GREAT HINDU TRADITION' (an insight into Sastras, Vedic Principles, Rituals and Heritage) is available for Rs. 200/- only inGiri Trading Agency, Mylapore and at the Indological Book House , apparswamy Koil street (Opp. Sanskrit college), Mylapore.

Those who wish to get it by post across India can send Rs. 250/- drawn in my favour and mail it to:

Sarma Sastrigal,
B2, Aditya Apartments,
1A, Kavarai street,
West mambalam,
Chennai 600 033.

For overseas buyers it is $15 which covers shipping also.

best
Sarma Sastrigal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back