• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why marriages are not performed in the month of puratasi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Forum,

I just want to know the reason as to why we tamilian iyers do not perform marriages in the month of puratasi.
My daughter is getting married to a vaishya telugu boy from Bangalore & they have fixed the marriage for 28 Sep 12.I am going ahead with it.
Any scientific reason or just customs & traditions.
Any one of you please educate me.
Thanks
Capt (IN) R Santhanam

Generally, during the month of Purattasi i.e. between middle of September and middle
of October and also during Margazhi i.e. Middle of December and Middle of January, until
Thai, marriage related activities are avoided. Even some do not exchange horoscopes.
During Purattasi, pitru paksham i.e. Mahalayam is covered for a fortnight.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Thanks Mr balsubramanian, however whats the reason you have not mentioned, can anyone highlight the reason behind this tradition.

There is a story behind Mahalaya Paksham. It in fact stresses the importance of the
period. The famous hero of the Mahabharata epic, Shri Karna, who is called Pandava's
half brother, when he passed away, because of the magnanimous charity he did during
his life time, he ascended to the heavenly planet. In return he got many things from
the heaven like gold, silver, etc. but there was no food; perhaps he had not done
any thing in the form of food-charity. He worshiped Lord Yamaraja, who obliged him
to send him back to the earth to make good of that. While he was back, he fed a
number of Brahmins, particularly the poor for a period of 14 days or so and offered
oblations of water. After this, based on his request, Lord Yamaraj took him back to
the heavenly planet. It is these 14 days that are being celebrated as Mahalaya Paksha.
During Purattasi month, Shri Shaneeswara Bhagawan is said to reduce his negative power
and hence it is said that it is the best period to win the favour of Shani Bhagawan.
Further, the Saturdays during this month is considered most auspicious, mainly
because the month is associated with Lord Vishnu and Lord Anjaneya.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back