• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

About Gokulaashtami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pranams to all my elders and Hi to my fellows,
I would like to know about this year's contradictions in celebration of "Gokulaashtami" - even thogh we celebrated it on Aadi itself (whereas usually, it comes in Aavani!..), some are saying that Aavani Rohini is the birth star of Sri Krishna and so only we should celebrate on Aavani... I'm really confused - and would like to know why n how this happens and which one is to be celebrated as Gokulaashtami?!... Thanks in advance...

Pranams to all my elders and Hi to my fellows,
I would like to know about this year's contradictions in celebration of "Gokulaashtami" - even thogh we celebrated it on Aadi itself (whereas usually, it comes in Aavani!..), some are saying that Aavani Rohini is the birth star of Sri Krishna and so only we should celebrate on Aavani... I'm really confused - and would like to know why n how this happens and which one is to be celebrated as Gokulaashtami?!... Thanks in advance...
hi
i heard that gokulastami for smarthas in august.....sri jayanti for vaishnavas on september 9th.....even govt confused abt
sri krishna janmastami holiday in tamil nadu....

Ram Ram
Hi,

I would like to give my points here. This confusion of because of two different points.
1. the two different calenders that are in practise - the solar calender and the lunar calender. (The tamil months are based on the solar calender and the telegu and kannada calenders are lunar based) there is a popular saying among smarthas that "Vattam kalinja etta naal gokulastami" which means the eighth day after aavani avittam is gokula astami. For Vaishnavas the "Rohini" Nakshatram is important.

This year there is an extra month in the lunar calender("Adika Maasam") so it caused more to the confusion. Usually Sri jayanthi follows or preceds gokulastami within a weeks time.

I think this posting will help ...

Thanks,
Arun M

Ram Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back