• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Amavasay Tarpanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason is one becomes eligible to do "Tarpanam" only upon the father dies. This is because, father carries on the "Tarpanam" for his three generations and finally he finally does "Tarpanam" for all "known and unknown atmas in his varga" which would include his wive's atma (i.e. mother). That's my 2 cents.

Namaskarams Sri Viswanathan sir,

I somewhat agree with your reply....but partially, now let us say that the father's father is alive and therefore the father is not performing any tarpanam, in this case what will happen to his wife's atma? This question was asked by a very elderly gentleman to me, also he mentioned that he has asked this question to many vadhyars and no one could reply him, everyone said its shastram.Therefore i thought its the right forum to ask.

Regards

Source : www kamakoti org/kamakoti/varaha/bookview.php?chapnum=5&PHPSESSID=fd2628395e9242651c5007180a137b0f

Pitaram-Haradasa Gothram-Narayana Murti Sharmanaam-Swadhaanamah Tarpayami (The last word to be uttered thrice and simultaneously tarpanam be left thrice as well)
Note: Tila or Sesame / Ginjelley seeds must be mixed with the water to be utilised for Tarpanam)
Pitaram-Father, Pitamaham- Grand Father, Prapitamaham-Great Grand Father, Mataram-Mother, Pitamahim- Father’s mother, Prapitamahim- Father’s Grand Mother, Sapnatimataram- Father’s another wife if applicable; if Karta (Performer) was adopted to another family then to his adopted parents viz. Janaka Pitaram and Janaka Mataram; Matamaham- Mother’s Father, Mathuh Pitamaham- Maternal Grand Father, Mathu Prapithamaham-Mother’s Great Grand Father, Matamahim- Mother’s Mother, Mathuh Pitamahim-Mother’s Grand Mother, Mathuh prapitamahim- Mother’s Great Grand Mother, Atma Patnim-Wife, Sutham- Sons, Bhrataram- Brothers, Pitravyam-Father’s Brothers, Mathulam- Maternal Uncles and their Wives, Duhitaram-Daughters, Bhagineem-Sisters, Dauhitram-Grand Sons, Bhagineyam- Nephews, Pitru Bhagineem- Father’s Sisters, Matru Bhagineem- Mother’s elder/younger Sisters, Jamatharam-Son in laws, Bhavukam- Brothers in laws and their wives, Snushaam-Daughter in law, Swasuram / Swasrum- Wife’s father/ mother, Syalakam-Wife’s brothers and their wives, Guru and Rikthinam- the Main Shop Keeper ( in fact ,wherever not mentioned tarpanam may be done as Sapatneekam or Sabhartreekam as the case may be, if the departed Souls are devoid of wives/husbands. As a round up-Evam Tarpanam kuryat: Echasrutkuley Jaata Aputhro gotrinomrutah, they gruhnanthu maya dattam sutra nishpeedanodakam
(May my Tarpanas be please accepted on behalf of those in our Vamsam, the Sagotras or those who died without sons by way of sqeezing water from my Yajnopaveeth; this Mantra be recited by wearing the Holy Thread as a mala or long necklace and be left in the Tarpana Plate)]

Instead of giving long list of names, we do it with the Gnyadagyaada vargadvaya pitrun. Your father or great-grand-father can offer tarpanam to your mother i.e. their wife or daughter-in-law respectively. As long as the father or grand-father and great-grand-father does tarpanam, the entire family tree is taken care of, thus no need for each member to do tarpanam.

Koti Namaskarams for this divine explanation. Thank you very much and very very grateful to you. One more request Sriman if I can make, considering your expertise. I am looking forward to the meaning of the Dhyana Slokam of Laghunyasam which starts with "Apatala Nabah stalant maanespurat.... and continues upto na prayachantu soukyam....I am desperately looking forward to the meaning of the same....I have posted it earlier also but no one is able to reply...if you can kindly help..

Deepest Regards,

Ravi

Dear Sri Viswanathan Sir, I have given the slokas of Laghunyasam for which I need the translation, request is to kindly reply in english as I am not still very fluent in reading tamil.

த்யானம்%

ஆபாதாள-னபஃஸ்தலான்த-புவன-ப்ரஹ்மாண்ட-மாவிஸ்புரத்-

ஜ்யோதிஃஸ்பாடிக-லிம்க-மௌளி-விலஸத்-பூர்ணேன்து-வான்தாம்றுதைஃ |

அஸ்தோகாப்லுத-மேக-மீஶ-மனிஶம் ருத்ரானு-வாகாம்ஜபன்
த்யாயே-தீப்ஸித-ஸித்தயே த்ருவபதம் விப்ரோ‌உபிஷிம்சே-ச்சிவம்||

ப்ரஹ்மாண்ட வ்யாப்ததேஹா பஸித ஹிமருசா பாஸமானா புஜம்கைஃ
கண்டே காலாஃ கபர்தாஃ கலித-ஶஶிகலா-ஶ்சண்ட கோதண்ட ஹஸ்தாஃ
|
த்ர்யக்ஷா ருத்ராக்ஷமாலாஃ ப்ரகடிதவிபவாஃ ஶாம்பவாமூர்திபேதாஃ
ருத்ராஃ ஶ்ரீருத்ரஸூக்த-ப்ரகடிதவிபவா னஃ ப்ரயச்சன்துஸௌக்யம் ||

Status
Not open for further replies.