• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Ganapati abhishekam questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're sponsoring an abhishekam to Ganapati at our local temple and I was wondering what would be some traditional offerings to bring?

The traditional things you should take are, (i) coconut; (ii) fruits (preferably plantains or banana) (iii) milk and other such liquids with which you want to do abhishekam (but only permitted liquids like honey, curd, sugarcane juice etc.) (iv) betel leaves and betel nut (v) incense sticks (vi) camphor

ABISHEKAM MATERIALS.In the LINGA PURANAM translated in tamil by sri Ramanathan and published by Giri trading Agency in page no. 334 the sequence of Abishekam is given as follows.

1.scented gingilly oil. 2. Pancha kavyam.( cow's dung,urine,milk,curd,ghee, in the prescribed proportion mixed ).3. Panchamritham ( bananafruit,milk,ghee,jaggary,honey ) you may add other fruits also mango,jack fruit,apple,orange, dates,grapes,mundri,drakshai,elakai,almonds,pomegr anate etc, pachaikalpooram; saffron.4. cow's milk.

5.cow's curd 6. cow's ghee. 7 Honey. 8. sugarcane juice (jaggary) 9. all other fruit juices 10. Tender coconut water. 11. sandal wood powder mixed with water. 12. water from 5 kalasams . ( In 5 brass vessals pour water and then pour some krambu elakai powder, pachaikalpooram, rose water, vilamichai ver(Root) and chant easaanan, thathpurushan,agoram, vaamadevan,satyojatam mantras each one for each kalasam )

For neivedhyam betel; betelnut, fruits, kolukataai, sakarai pongal or pongal; vadai, Uthri pushpam for archanai, haaram, dhoty 4 mulam, camphor. saampraani,vibhudhi and kumkumam.

The traditional things you should take are, (i) coconut; (ii) fruits (preferably plantains or banana) (iii) milk and other such liquids with which you want to do abhishekam (but only permitted liquids like honey, curd, sugarcane juice etc.) (iv) betel leaves and betel nut (v) incense sticks (vi) camphor

Thanks for the info! I had all of that except for the betel leaves and nut, not too sure where to get that in TX. Would an Indian grocery have it?

Thanks for the info! I had all of that except for the betel leaves and nut, not too sure where to get that in TX. Would an Indian grocery have it?

Indian grocery may have betel nuts, I am not sure about betel leaves Since betel leaves are needed even for daily pujas, the temple authorities (where the abhishekham is proposed) may themselves have made arrangements for regular supply. You may contact them (the temple authorities themselves).

ABISHEKAM MATERIALS.In the LINGA PURANAM translated in tamil by sri Ramanathan and published by Giri trading Agency in page no. 334 the sequence of Abishekam is given as follows.

1.scented gingilly oil. 2. Pancha kavyam.( cow's dung,urine,milk,curd,ghee, in the prescribed proportion mixed ).3. Panchamritham ( bananafruit,milk,ghee,jaggary,honey ) you may add other fruits also mango,jack fruit,apple,orange, dates,grapes,mundri,drakshai,elakai,almonds,pomegr anate etc, pachaikalpooram; saffron.4. cow's milk.

5.cow's curd 6. cow's ghee. 7 Honey. 8. sugarcane juice (jaggary) 9. all other fruit juices 10. Tender coconut water. 11. sandal wood powder mixed with water. 12. water from 5 kalasams . ( In 5 brass vessals pour water and then pour some krambu elakai powder, pachaikalpooram, rose water, vilamichai ver(Root) and chant easaanan, thathpurushan,agoram, vaamadevan,satyojatam mantras each one for each kalasam )

For neivedhyam betel; betelnut, fruits, kolukataai, sakarai pongal or pongal; vadai, Uthri pushpam for archanai, haaram, dhoty 4 mulam, camphor. saampraani,vibhudhi and kumkumam.

Very informative. Thanks!

in TX...dallas/houston/Austin area there are a lot of indian grocery shops....like Patel Brothers cash and carry shops....even u can try
in sree Meenakshi Devasthanam Temple in Houston for ur further help.....

Indian grocery may have betel nuts, I am not sure about betel leaves Since betel leaves are needed even for daily pujas, the temple authorities (where the abhishekham is proposed) may themselves have made arrangements for regular supply. You may contact them (the temple authorities themselves).

Thanks!

in TX...dallas/houston/Austin area there are a lot of indian grocery shops....like Patel Brothers cash and carry shops....even u can try
in sree Meenakshi Devasthanam Temple in Houston for ur further help.....

Yeah, I stay in Austin, and I will definitely check next time I go to one of the Indian grocer's in town. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back