• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Question on Sandhya Vandanam

Status
Not open for further replies.

shankargb

Shankar
I have been working hard and dont find time to perform sandhya vandanam. I and 'another' person share the apartment. That 'another' person has come from India. He is in the same boat as mine. He advised me to perform Arghya Pradanam 3 times with Gayathri mantra, followed by Praya chitha Arghya Pradanam. He says that this equivalent of Sandhya vandanam. Is he correct? For doing this, any direction (East, North or West) is needed? Thankful if any one can guide me. Thanks in advance.

Dear Sir,

Don't mistaken me...

The Muslims are having time to do 5 times a prayer in a day. Wherever they are in and whatever position they are in.. At least once in a day is must and they are following it...The Christians are having time to go to Church once in a week regularly. But, WE (Brahmins including myself) are not having time to do Sandhya Vandhanam which will give mental / scientific result to us.

The "Pranayamam" (part of Sandhya Vandhanam) which will give very good result for Asthma, Liver and Heart Problems which you may know very well. Presently all others are doing this separately in the name of EXERCISE or YOGA by paying huge $$$$ to the teachers (?!). Our Forefathers have clearly identified everything and shown the very best way to us... But due to the TIME FACTOR (???!!!!) we are not able to follow that...

We are seeking Shortcut for everything... What can we do ??? Because now we are in KALI KAALAM... (கலி காலம் )...

I don't have any intention to hurt you and I am really sorry if any of my word hurts you...

We can see the difference from the Previous generation and present generation Brahmin people. That Karishma (தேஜஸ்) is reducing in our face and we can easily notice that...

I read somewhere "If 3 generation in the Brahmin family is not doing 'Sandhya Vandhanam' Continuously then the 4th Generation CANNOT not be treated as "Brahmin"...
I just shared my views... (மனக்குமுறல் )
(If I am wrong, the Senior people may slap me and correct my words)...​

I have been working hard and dont find time to perform sandhya vandanam. I and 'another' person share the apartment. That 'another' person has come from India. He is in the same boat as mine. He advised me to perform Arghya Pradanam 3 times with Gayathri mantra, followed by Praya chitha Arghya Pradanam. He says that this equivalent of Sandhya vandanam. Is he correct? For doing this, any direction (East, North or West) is needed? Thankful if any one can guide me. Thanks in advance.

What is that preoccupation that does not allow you time for this?
Are you willing to take a No for an answer, or would you want a justification along side?

If you take out 10 - 15 minutes of your time, you can definitely do Sandhya vandanam.
Since you appear to have the desire to do so, give it a try and see how long it takes you.
I wish you the best of luck.

Shri Shankar sir,

If you work rotating shifts, possible that you may be working during the time for sandhyavandanam. In that case I feel you may skip it, but when you are in your room/apartment, kindly try to do sandhyavandanam and at least 12 gaayatris. The abridged version suggested by your room-mate is a strict no-no please.

It is necessary that you first re-learn the way sandhyavandanam is done by elders in your father's family, because the minute details vary from family to family (patriarchal) and sometimes some mantras also are different or omitted. If no such elderly person is now available follow the book instructions applicable to your veda and sutra.

I recently attended a poonal ceremony and entered into an Athma Vicharam (self questioning) and I started doing Sandhyavandanam three times a day, (ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSES) yes, three times Adam. I am as busy as anyone else on this planet(perhaps more) working 12-16 hrs a day. Let me explain.

What is the purpose of Sandhyavandanam. To become one with the Brahman. To merge with Siva. You get rid of your papa ( Manasa Vacha Hastabyam) on a daily basis ( Pl read about the types of karma) First and foremost get rid of your karma. And move on. Calling yourself a Brahmin does not get you anywhere. As Cho says, he's an Iyer and not a Brahmin.

Therefore, read the meaning of Sandhyavandhanam. Practice it. Three times a day to become One With the Brahman, Aham Brahmasmi, Tatvamasi. Absolutely no excuses. Believe me , I'm telling this myself.

I am game for any comments.

Om Chivaya Namah.

Vish V Iyer MD, FRCS

Hats of you vishviyer. I appreciate you. Brahmins are proud of you.

I am sorry I could read this thread today only. There have been many posts on the subject and real experts have explained things. Be that as it may, Argya Pradhanam is offering water to Sun which is sort of thanksgiving to Sun for his bounty. Instead of doing nothing, do something, say something. And improve upon it. In Sandhyavandanam you evoke or pray to all gods (it does not mean we have different gods) including, navagrahaas, Yama, etc. Once you do it regularly, it will become a convenient practice, or quirk even. It is also a mini-yoga. An idle man is always busy and busy man is always idle. Above all by birth and association, the practice will give you mental satisfaction. And you keep your brain system trim and alert. All the best.

Not finding time is not a correct statement having regard to the potency of sandhyavandanam. Time has to be carved out of our daily routine for this purpose and performing sandhyavandanam in full with atleast 11 gayathri manthras can take hardly 10 minutes. We spend a lot of time for so many frivolous jobs and sparing 10 minutes for sandhyavandanam should not be difficult. Hence the full course of the sandhyavandanam should be performed . In the morning and noon, one should face east while in the evening it is preferable to face north or west

I sincerely request you to do Sandhyavandanam without fail. Its benefits are innumerous and you will find it only if you sincerely do it. Not to boast, I have been doing this for the past 15 years without any break (this is our duty - and we should feel bad if we dont do this minimal thing as a brahmin). Even if i come come by midnight 2 or 3 i do this and then only go to bed. That should be spirit of doing this nithyakarmam.
The first form of aachamanam till aasanam, the frog sitting posture as you take it from certain maha periya photos - it has immense benefit in the long run - it can actually awaken the kundalini shakti. After aasanam - pranayamam and Japam tones your physical and mental status. Upasthaanam has some yogic benefits - like abhivathaye for bending down - dig vandanam for rotating our body etc... - You get bhramhatejas automatically - you must experience it.
We have got bhramopadesam and we are all gayathri upasakas - hence chanting gayathri mantram at any time is permitted during the sunrise till the next sun rise and further to add on, as an upasaka it is mandatory that we chant gayathri mantram every day without fail.
I suggest you do this on a daily basis.

There is no shortcut path for attaining divinity....
Thanks for understanding.

Last edited:
Dear members,
I request you to kindly clarify that while doing Sandhyavandhanam in which
direction we have to chant the Manthiram 'Rithagum Sathyam....'. Some say it is facing west
and some others say it should be chanted facing north. I am unable to get a reply in the book.
Thanks.
Srinirajaram

In his book ''SANDHYAVANDHANAM'' written by srivatsa soma deva sarma thr manthram Rithagum sathyam must be chant facing west.Newly published by Surabhi pulications station road west mambalam and now available BHAVANI BOOK STORE west mambalam and giri trading agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back