• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Are reading translated slokas effective??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I recently came across some sanskrit slokas with english & tamil translations. I request your advice about reading the translated slokas. Should we read the slokas only in sanskrit (or the original language in which it was written) for the same to be effective or will reading the translated versions have the same benefit???

Thank you in advance.

Can anybody give an honest and authentic answer to your question? Has anyone done any documented research on the efficacy of reciting the mantras in sanskrit or translated version?

There is no need to do any research on this. U r praising God in different language without understanding its meaning, that means just reciting. But when u tell in ur mother tongue u understand its meaning, so u go very near to God.

God is beyond language, religion etc.

Plz concentrate while doing prayer, be true to God all the time. Never worry abt language. Then how deaf & dumb people, illiterate people pray to God.

They dont know Sanskrit. Many of our religious stories clearly explain abt dedication towards God.

There are innumerable stotrams in Tamil like Thevaram, Divyaprabandham, Thiruppukazh,skanda Shashti kavacham, abhirami anthati etc. Is it not better to recite these original Tamizh hymns
than tranaslating the sanskrit texts and reciting the translated version.?

Good Lord how I love to hear the Skanda Shashti kavacam sung in Tamil! So perfect!

Hello everyone. I recently came across some sanskrit slokas with english & tamil translations. I request your advice about reading the translated slokas. Should we read the slokas only in sanskrit (or the original language in which it was written) for the same to be effective or will reading the translated versions have the same benefit???

Thank you in advance.

Slokas & stotras are one category, mantas are different. Slokas and stotras essentially give satisfaction to the reader and it is left to individual preference whether one wishes to read the original sanskrit or its translation. But mantras are supposed to have certain effects of their own and have to be pronounced in the original language and proper swaras.

Slokas & stotras are one category, mantas are different. Slokas and stotras essentially give satisfaction to the reader and it is left to individual preference whether one wishes to read the original sanskrit or its translation. But mantras are supposed to have certain effects of their own and have to be pronounced in the original language and proper swaras.

I need your help to understand the difference between slokas/stotras and mantras. Thanks in advance.

As said Mantras are all for attaining something you wish and each has some specific benefits , slokas for praising God in different languages for developing bakthi.
mg sundaresan

I need your help to understand the difference between slokas/stotras and mantras. Thanks in advance.

Shri Siva sir,

Usually the difference between mantras and slokas/stotras should be as easy for any tabra as swimming for a duckling. Still, fyi, slokas and stotras are in verse form usually two lines or four lines mostly with "prAsam" of the second letter. Mantras need not follow this format. For example gAyatree which we chant daily is a mantra but govindAshTakam, starting "satyam jnaanam anantam nityam anAkASam..." is a stotra. A stotra in one verse is usually called a sloka, e.g., Adou dEvaki dEvi garbha jananam, gOpee gruhE vardhanam...".

Hope this clarifies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back