• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

where do I say this mantra?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drb

This small mantram belongs in poorvanga poojai.
Could somebody please tell me where to utter these?

Thatheva laknam suthinam thatheva tharapalam chandrapalam thatheva
Vidyapalam theipalam thatheva lakshmipathe they ingriyugam smarami

In one of the Giri pooja recording, it came in poorvanga pooja during sankalapam followed by karishmanasaya....so on. However it did not start with usual mamo partha as in sankalapam.

In another poojai steps recording, the above mantra came under thyanam.

Please let me know.

drb

This small mantram belongs in poorvanga poojai.
Could somebody please tell me where to utter these?

Thatheva laknam suthinam thatheva tharapalam chandrapalam thatheva
Vidyapalam theipalam thatheva lakshmipathe they ingriyugam smarami

In one of the Giri pooja recording, it came in poorvanga pooja during sankalapam followed by karishmanasaya....so on. However it did not start with usual mamo partha as in sankalapam.

In another poojai steps recording, the above mantra came under thyanam.

Please let me know.

drb

Shri drb,

I am giving the Sanskrit and IAST transliteration of the said mantra below. (You seem to depend on a Tamil book which has allowed some errors in your transliteration.):—

तदेव लग्नं सुदिनं तद् एव ताराबलं चन्द्रबलं तद् एव ।
विद्याबलं दैवबलं तद् एव लक्ष्मीपते ते अन्घ्रियुगं स्मरामि ॥

tadeva lagnaṃ sudinaṃ tad eva tārābalaṃ candrabalaṃ tad eva |
vidyābalaṃ daivabalaṃ tad eva lakṣmīpate te anghriyugaṃ smarāmi ||

The gist of this sloka (not really a mantra, imho) may be taken as —

"That (meaning the Superior-most God) is the Lagnam (in which I commence this pooja or rite), is the good day, That is (the One which ensures) the strength of stars and the Moon (for this auspicious pooja or rite), That also (gives me) the necessary Vidya or learning and also the grace of gods; O Lakshmeepati (Narayana) I remember your feet (on this occasion for bestowing all these)."

This sloka thus seeks divine grace for any flaws in regard to Lagnam, auspiciousness of the day, the position of stars and the Moon (in unfavourable positions), lack of knowledge about the pooja/rite which one is about to commence. as also any deficiencies on our part which may not be pleasing to the gods.

This is part of the 'omni-bus' samkalpam and it follows the usual "मम उपात्त समस्त दुरितक्षय द्वारा श्री परमॆश्वर (श्रीमन्नारायण) प्रीत्यर्थं" (mama upātta samasta duritakṣaya dvārā śrī parameśvara (śrīmannārāyaṇa) prītyarthaṃ) and the samkalpam becomes—

मम उपात्त समस्त दुरितक्षय द्वारा श्री परमॆश्वर (श्रीमन्नारायण) प्रीत्यर्थं
तदेव लग्नं सुदिनं तद् एव ताराबलं चन्द्रबलं तद् एव ।
विद्याबलं दैवबलं तद् एव लक्ष्मीपते ते अन्घ्रियुगं स्मरामि ॥

mama upātta samasta duritakṣaya dvārā śrī parameśvara (śrīmannārāyaṇa) prītyarthaṃ tadeva lagnaṃ sudinaṃ tad eva tārābalaṃ candrabalaṃ tad eva | vidyābalaṃ daivabalaṃ tad eva lakṣmīpate te anghriyugaṃ smarāmi ||

I cannot say exactly why this was given under "Dhyaanam" but there is no problem in considering this as a Dhyaanam as well because it is about meditating on the feet of the Lord Narayana (Lakshmeepathy).

PS:
1. mamopartha is incorrect, it is mama upaatta as shown above.

2. I am an agnostic and do not believe in all these religious rites. If you so desire, you may consult some aasteeka person.

Last edited:
first do aachamanam and then suklambaradaram vishnum then utter thatheva lagnam etc then do pranayamam. then sankalpam. for ladies no pranayamam.

Shri Sangom,
Excellant explanation. As you said, unfortunately, my transliteration was incorrect, but glad you got to understand my request.

Another followup question,
As in your samkalpam,
mama upātta samasta duritakṣaya dvārā śrī parameśvara (śrīmannārāyaṇa) prītyarthaṃ tadeva lagnaṃ sudinaṃ tad eva tārābalaṃ candrabalaṃ tad eva | vidyābalaṃ daivabalaṃ tad eva lakṣmīpate te anghriyugaṃ smarāmi ||

After the above, can I follow saying
கரிஷ்யமாணஸய கர்மண: நிர்விக்ன.............கரிஷ்யே |

thereby concluding the sankalpam?

Shri Gopalan,
Looks like I have an option to say in thyanam as well. Thanks,

drb

Shri drb,

கரிஷ்யமாணஸய கர்மண: நிர்விக்ன.............கரிஷ்யே | is a mantra usually recited only for certain poojas, rites, etc. So, if you can tell me on what occasion (what kind of pooja) you have in mind, it may be possible to give suitable response.

Shri Sangom,
I was reading the sampradhaya vradha pooja vidanam book from Giri. In poorvanga pooja, page P-13, section 6, Sankalpam section - it says
மமோ உபாத்த ஸமஸ்த துரித க்ஷயத்வாரா ஸ்ரீ பரமேச்'வர ப்ரீத்யர்த்தம்,
கரிஷ்யமாணஸ்ய கர்மண:
நிர்விக்கேனன பரிஸமாப்த்யர்த்தம் ஆதௌ விக்னேச்'வர பூஜாம் கரிஷ்யே |

However it did not have the above slokam that I referred. That bit was in one of the pooja audio recording. I didn't know where to fit it in. Hence I got confused.

So should I say the sankalpam like this?
மமோ உபாத்த ஸமஸ்த துரித க்ஷயத்வாரா ஸ்ரீ பரமேச்'வர ப்ரீத்யர்த்தம்
ததேவ லக்நம் ஸுதிநம் ததேவ தாராபலம் சந்த்ரபலம் ததேவ |
வித்யாபலம் தைவபலம் ததேவ லக்ஷ்மீபதே தே அங்க்ரியுகம் ஸ்மராமி ||
கரிஷ்யமாணஸ்ய கர்மண:

Since this is a general poorvanga pooja, this sankalpam applies to all poojas. Then in prathana pooja one has to utter the specific sankalpam for that deity. Am I right?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Shri Sangom,
I was reading the sampradhaya vradha pooja vidanam book from Giri. In poorvanga pooja, page P-13, section 6, Sankalpam section - it says
கரிஷ்யமாணஸ்ய கர்மண:

However it did not have the above slokam that I referred. That bit was in one of the pooja audio recording. I didn't know where to fit it in. Hence I got confused.

So should I say the sankalpam like this?
மமோ உபாத்த ஸமஸ்த துரித க்ஷயத்வாரா ஸ்ரீ பரமேச்'வர ப்ரீத்யர்த்தம்
ததேவ லக்நம் ஸுதிநம் ததேவ தாராபலம் சந்த்ரபலம் ததேவ |
கரிஷ்யமாணஸ்ய கர்மண:

Since this is a general poorvanga pooja, this sankalpam applies to all poojas. Then in prathana pooja one has to utter the specific sankalpam for that deity. Am I right?

Thanks,

Dear drb,

Where the samkalpam says —
கரிஷ்யமாணஸ்ய கர்மண:

it is better not to recite ததேவ லக்நம் ஸுதிநம் ததேவ தாராபலம் சந்த்ரபலம் ததேவ |

Better to follow the book from Giri trading faithfully. This is my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back