• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Daily Pooja

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sir, As every person who do Pooja, by lighting Diya morning and evening (mainly in Tamil Brahmin Culture) & tell different Slokas / mantra of each God & Goddess. Some people do on advice daily nitya pooja for some specific day to fullfill their wish along with other their routine pooja. As i come accrossed on person on discussion he told this is not a currect way as you do all this and there will be no benefit you will get from it, as you call each God with a specific pooja for the welfare of you and your family and by this way all God's will appreciate your dedication towards this but no benefit you will get as every one will think since he is doing that also he will give his blessing like this nothing will happen. My view is all God / Goddess are one it is our way of internal belief which give a mental satisfaction by doing pooja / chanting mantra of each God's. AS A BELIEF AS UNIVERSE IS ONE GOD IS ONE and it is we who have differentiated each God in different form, this is LEELA OF SUPREME GOD.

The Eswariya Prajapita Brahmakumaris preach that no purpose is served by praying to any
God except Shiv Baba.

KR SUBRAHMANYAM
Secunderabad.

Ram Ram !!

Some of my thoughts ....

First of all expecting a fruit for your nithya pooja is not a good thing. Nithya pooja is one of the day to day duties of a brahmin. It is unacceptable to expect a fruit from your duty. As many of the brahmin's duties are now not in practice , one of the still existing duty is nitya pooja.Duties like nithya pooja and sandiyavanthanam etc are basically duties.

There are some traditional ways/Methods which exists with each brahmin family. example Siva panchayathanam , vishnu panchayathanam, sakthi panchayathanam , saligrama puja. Consult your family elders to identify what is your family's traditional puja methods and do a sincere practice without thinking of its fruits. After diligent efforts if you are not able to find continue what you are doing now . Lit the lamp , chant some slokas, do a little namasankeerthanam , offer a neivedya and harathi. because in kaliyuga namasankeerthana is the high holding dharma.

All the best
Ram Ram!!

Sir,
I would not do puja for material benefits, but there is definite mental peace.
I would not stop anything that gives you mental peace.
You can pray to any God, or Brahman, or OM or just meditate, it is good for you and can not cause any harm.

Pranam's

As many of you are sharing your thoughts I would like to know some more information in daily pooja vidhi. I respect every ones views but I wanted to know the vedic way to do the nitya pooja. if some one can document it with from the beginning of the pooja followed by aarti it would be really good for the new generations like us to learn and practice. Unless some one shares the flow of process to do the pooja, its very difficult to get the bits and pieces to follow from internet.

To my understanding how ever we do the nitya pooja it really doesnt matter as we have to perform the pooja with all devotion.
But my reason for this posting to get the process of how the pooja is performed in actual brahmin/iyer/VEDIC(who learned vedas can throw some light)?
what time the pooja has to be started or completed in the morning?
when (time)the evening pooja has to be done and completed?
how to do the matra japam? how to start and end the japa? are there any rules to be followed while doing it?

I have seen members posting very generic informtion in the posts, but I am not looking for any generic information here ( sorry to be bit strict on this point). All I am trying to learn is strict vedic process to do the pooja. My attempt to know this information is if we have the knowledge we can make an effort to meet it. if knowledge it self is not there, then we have to go along with N number of bits and pieces on internet.

Sri bala charanam

Pranam's

As many of you are sharing your thoughts I would like to know some more information in daily pooja vidhi. I respect every ones views but I wanted to know the vedic way to do the nitya pooja. if some one can document it with from the beginning of the pooja followed by aarti it would be really good for the new generations like us to learn and practice. Unless some one shares the flow of process to do the pooja, its very difficult to get the bits and pieces to follow from internet.

Shri msgmv,
Since you want the authentic details of the tabra nityapooja, you may purchase a copy of the following book:

Shri Sivapancaayatana poojavidhi
Shri Shri Jagadguru Sankaraacaarya mahaasamsthaanam
Sringeri
Published by: Vidya Bharati Press Sringeri

There can be no more authentic a book on this subject.

To my understanding how ever we do the nitya pooja it really doesnt matter as we have to perform the pooja with all devotion.
But my reason for this posting to get the process of how the pooja is performed in actual brahmin/iyer/VEDIC(who learned vedas can throw some light)?
what time the pooja has to be started or completed in the morning?
when (time)the evening pooja has to be done and completed?
how to do the matra japam? how to start and end the japa? are there any rules to be followed while doing it?

The best period is after morning sandhyāvandanaṃ. i.e., some time after the local sunrise and sunrise will vary with the seasons. But, today, even the śaṃkarācāryas perform their pooja at fixed IST timings; so, may be, you can also fix some convenient early morning time.

There is no limit as to the time of completion. But, as a person who has done the pañcāyatanapūjā from my 6th. year for many years, I may say that the pooja as given in the above book, even the detailed pooja given up to page 55, will take not more than 90 minutes once you get the mantras by rote. Hence, if you commence the pooja at 07-30 AM it should be over by 09-00 AM.

How to start and end each mantra is not to be explained, I feel; it is so basic. But you should have taken a "maDi" bath (including head bath), wear pancakaccham-if you so desire (but should have either a koupeenam or underwear - not merely an over cloth. Wear vibhooti or whatever is your family practice. The one thing to remember is to keep all the pooja vessels cleaned and all the materials ready and handy and within your hands' reach so as to avoid getting up again and again. It is best not to disturb anyone else to render help to you because other people may not be all the time in a mood for such work.

I have seen members posting very generic informtion in the posts, but I am not looking for any generic information here ( sorry to be bit strict on this point). All I am trying to learn is strict vedic process to do the pooja. My attempt to know this information is if we have the knowledge we can make an effort to meet it. if knowledge it self is not there, then we have to go along with N number of bits and pieces on internet.

Sri bala charanam

Hope this reply is good enough for your requirement.

Normally one does abishekam or thirumanjanam to Lingam, Saligramam, etc while doing pooja.
While gents and ladies are allowed to do abishekam to Shiv Lingam, ladies are not generally
permitted to do abishekam to Saligramam. This information, I gathered during a Pravachanam.
It was also mentioned that as per the vedas the ladies are not supposed to touch saligramam.
Gents can do abishekam daily and if they are away suddenly, it has to be kept in a rice bowel.
In fact, in our house we have kept the Mercury Lingam in a box within the rice. Only during
the pooja, it is opened. Besides we have a Darpa Lingam and it is not generally opened.

Balasubramanian

Normally one does abishekam or thirumanjanam to Lingam, Saligramam, etc while doing pooja.
While gents and ladies are allowed to do abishekam to Shiv Lingam, ladies are not generally
permitted to do abishekam to Saligramam. This information, I gathered during a Pravachanam.
It was also mentioned that as per the vedas the ladies are not supposed to touch saligramam.
Gents can do abishekam daily and if they are away suddenly, it has to be kept in a rice bowel.
In fact, in our house we have kept the Mercury Lingam in a box within the rice. Only during
the pooja, it is opened. Besides we have a Darpa Lingam and it is not generally opened.

Balasubramanian

Generally, the smartas try to attach a little bit of importance to Shiva Lingam and say that ladies cannot do any pooja for Shiva Lingam but when no male member is available to do nithya pooja, a lady may simply remove the flowers showered as archana on the previous day and then just do naivedyam, that too "divyaannam" or rice prepared from pure raw rice (not once boiled, par-boiled, etc., rice varieties) only. Ladies are prohibited according to our belief system, from equality with the males.

I find from the above that Vaishnavas seem to attach more importance to Saalagraamam since Vishnu is the highest deity for them.

There is no express ban in the vedas or some of the Dharmasastras which I have studied. But the Brahministic Hindu religion has treated woman as no more than a chattel or possession of the male; this is reflected well in our traditional Hindu Law and these inequalities are not tolerated today by women. Hence, my advice is that if there is no male member in the house to do the nitya pooja, let any female member who has the inclination and time to do that, perform it in whatever way she can. I am reminded of my mother and her mother, both of whom knew everything about the Nithya Pooja (it was my grandmother who used to correct my rendering of Purushha sooktam and everything in doing the pooja when I was just 7 years old) but because of the social taboo, neither of them ever ventured to do the pooja proper, or chant any of the sooktas. Later when the society changed somewhat my grandmother was no more but my mother woeld chant the entire Vishnu Sahasranama, indraakshee & Sivakavacham by rote. Even then she refrained from chanting the various sooktas.

Last edited:
without understanding the psyche of women ,people talk whatever comes to their mind. spaying harm shastra didn't prohibit some karma for women etc, etc.. what to say? only can say these are unfounded and baseless accusation on our elders.

without understanding the psyche of women ,people talk whatever comes to their mind. spaying harm shastra didn't prohibit some karma for women etc, etc.. what to say? only can say these are unfounded and baseless accusation on our elders.

Sir, can you write in English?

without understanding the psyche of women

Please explain this.

Last edited:

I feel this has reference to one of the previous posts (and not to a future post, because the poster tries to pose as though he is even above the harm shastra (?) and knows the psyche of women best. I have written about two women whom I knew well, but still I don't (can't) claim that I knew their "psyche". Shri HRHK seems to claim he knows better!

Though I do not know the female psyche as well as Shri HRHK possibly does, I want to point out that brahmin women 'purohitaas' were functioning in Poona some decades ago, performing all the rites and rituals prescribed in our harm shastra, and they were doing so even during their menstruation days and at least some sections of the population had no objection to this, going by the fact that there was no covert opposition.

The question is whether we should live in a past age or change with the times.

One has to do the puja with devotion and bakthi. If a person does puja daily,
it enables one to develop inner purity and peace. There is no hard and fast
rule that one has to do puja in an elaborate way, it can be simple and short.
Normally such pujas are called Aathmartha puja according to our Vedas. There
is also a provision to get Deeksha from a Guru in a religious order and perform puja
daily. Such people can do abhishekam, puja, etc to spatika Sivalingam and
Saligramam, etc. according to hindu sasthras. Normally, puja is performed in
every house to a murthy or idol or a picture. Some do to Deepam also. All the
methods have equal value provided if one does it with utmost Bhakthi.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

One has to do the puja with devotion and bakthi. If a person does puja daily,
it enables one to develop inner purity and peace. There is no hard and fast
rule that one has to do puja in an elaborate way, it can be simple and short.
Normally such pujas are called Aathmartha puja according to our Vedas. There
is also a provision to get Deeksha from a Guru in a religious order and perform puja
daily. Such people can do abhishekam, puja, etc to spatika Sivalingam and
Saligramam, etc. according to hindu sasthras. Normally, puja is performed in
every house to a murthy or idol or a picture. Some do to Deepam also. All the
methods have equal value provided if one does it with utmost Bhakthi.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Shri NBS,

I have no disagreement with you in most of what you have written above. My doubt is about the portion highlighted (in bold) above. Can you provide the reference to the vedic context? I am asking this because I have seen many people citing the vedas just to add weight to their views/opinions.

Namaste, Ram, Ram,

If you ever feel that your heart is not right, or you dont find the love in Puja then take a break. Meditate on what you are doing, develop a stronger understanding. Always try to cultivate that loving affection while performing Puja. It should never be mechanical in nature, with love a stone turns into a gem when offered.

Somehow men always seem to understand the psyche of woman better than women themselves!LOL

God does not forbid anyone from anything..that's the most important point we need to remember.

Namaste, Ram, Ram,

If you ever feel that your heart is not right, or you dont find the love in Puja then take a break. Meditate on what you are doing, develop a stronger understanding. Always try to cultivate that loving affection while performing Puja. It should never be mechanical in nature, with love a stone turns into a gem when offered.

Dear Sir,

Sometimes monotony in Pooja itself might make us take a break from Pooja.

That is why I keep changing my mode of prayer from time to time.

Sometimes I only sing Atma/Nirvana Shatakam in the morning and nothing else.

On some days I recite Gayatri Mantra and all other mantras.

On some days I sing some Sarva Dharma songs which has every known Divinity from all religions in the song...to get a Universal feeling of Oneness in Religion.

On some days I just do some acts of charity and some days I just read religious text/Sanskrit text and some days I do nothing at all.

All these are considered Pooja for me.

The human mind tends to get bored fast..so it's important to keep a varied interest in modes of Prayers too.

Sometimes monotony in Pooja itself might make us take a break from Pooja.

That is why I keep changing my mode of prayer from time to time.

Renukaji

The beauty of Sanathana Dharma is that it give you lot of variety with regard to types of prayers you do and have varieties of Gods and Godesses with various hymns in Sanskrit /Tamil and Other regional languages addressed to them and we have actually a problem of plenty .
So in Order to avoid monotony this is what I feel has been structured- one deity per day :
1) Mon - Lord Shiva
2) Tue - Lord Subramanya
3) Wed - not sure , some say Lord Ganesha
4) Thu - Guru Dakshinamurthy or ones own personal Guru
5) Fri - Divine Mother
6) Sat - Lord Vishnu
7) Sun - Not sure
So we can chant hyms addressed to each deity on that Particular day and by this way we keep the spirit of Ishwara in our life intact without getting bored .

Dear Renukaji,
GM... my prayers are always slokas and i discuss everthing that happenned the previous day and thank her( my shakthi Ma-Durga) for being with me always. Though i know she is there always still i feel very light when i discuss and converse with her abt everthing that comes to my mind. Say a prayer for my friend or relative very ill or passing thru a bad time.. request her to provide them solace and peace... Most of the time the conversation will go on for abt half hour or so.

Visiting the close by temple frequestly and there also the discussion will continue...I feel mentally at peace after doing that...

Cheers.

Dear Sir,

You know why Sunday not sure??

Cos there is a Song that goes "Never on a Sunday"
Never on a Sunday..cos that's my day of rest!

Renukaji

Sunday seems a mystery for me . I was used to Sunday Satsang at the Sivananda Yoga Centre in Chennai and it is followed world over by its branches .
In Ramana Ashram they have Mon- Sat daily evening Tamil Parayana from 6.45- 7.30p.m except Sunday .
Swami Paramarthananda has his Gita Talks on Sunday Morning and evening at Chennai and they are always well attended .
While Malls ,Cinema Theatres ,Shopping Complexes are very busy on Sunday so also Temples and Certain Spiritual Talks and Satsangs .
So I feel one cant put a fixed rule for Sunday . For some people it is a strict no on Sunday with regard to any spiritual activity while for Others that is the only day available to them .
So best is Do what you feel suits you :)

Shri NBS,

I have no disagreement with you in most of what you have written above. My doubt is about the portion highlighted (in bold) above. Can you provide the reference to the vedic context? I am asking this because I have seen many people citing the vedas just to add weight to their views/opinions.

If you want a reference to this effect, you can read the Sanadhana
Dharma magazine which is being released by Shri Satya Sai Baba Prasanthi Nilayam
wherein it is mentioned. Swamiji has also mentioned about this fact quite a number
of times in his discourses.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

If you want a reference to this effect, you can read the Sanadhana
Dharma magazine which is being released by Shri Satya Sai Baba Prasanthi Nilayam
wherein it is mentioned. Swamiji has also mentioned about this fact quite a number
of times in his discourses.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Shri NBS,

Obviously you are a follower/devotee of Satya Saibaba and hence anything he utters or is published by his ashram may be "veda" to you and other saibaba devotees. But please also consider that there are millions of people out there, who do not consider satya saibaba in the same way you do; and for such people, veda means actually one of the four vedas or at least one of the grihya sutras.

I will therefore request you to kindly refrain from referring to the Baba's words as vedas, in your posts. Thank you.

Dear Kind Folks,

Yes we understand the value of praying and the metaphysical benefits it brings. But what about family members or friends that do not find love in praying?

How can we as souls that have found love and a liking for praying/meditating inspire others?

I fully understand that we all carry our own burden of karmic actions and our likes and dislikes come from many births.

But when you identify someone with a spark of interest but no ambition towards puja/worship, how do we give them an extra push to develop a routine and longing?

Every body knows that Hinduism just does not have mere one sacred book but there are
several scriptures. The Scriptures of Vedas guide every Hindu in their day to day
daily life. Further, they help to preserve the religious codes of family and society.
Hindus have developed their system of worship and beliefs from such scriptures.
This is an integral part of the faith. Offerings (puja) are generally made to the Ishta
Devatha or Kula Devatha according to one's family practice. We have two mine
categories in our Vedas Scriptures. i.e. Shruti consists of the four Vedas and Upanishad
scriptures, whilst Smriti consists of famous traditional texts covering Dharma
Shastras, Puranas, besides historical legends like Mahabharata and Ramayana. Performance
of Puja is an ancient practice based on the guidelines given by our ancient Rishis,
Sages, etc who were strictly following the guidelines of Vedas.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Maha Ganapataye Namaha

When a Brahmin performs his kriyas such as sandhyavandhanam and nitya puja the entire world benefits. It is the Brahmins purpose in life to propagate and live the Dharma for the benefit of all. Integrity and consistency in the practice are his responsibilities and he benefits WITH the entire world when he does so with a true heart.

Tirumantiram Tantra One verse 214 states:
Prosperity Springs From Sacrifice
Riches from obloquy free, the spreading sky and earth,
The directions all, and the godly hosts who there hold sway,
All flourish in Victory's wake when Brahmins true,
With Vedas commencing, pursue the sacrificial way.

Therefore in desiring to reap more from your duty you only take away from yourself the opportunity to engage in the Karma Yoga. You quite literally GET LESS on a personal level when you do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back